Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 09:52:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magnatek 6345 power converter  (Read 4468 times)
gus

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2011, 04:16:32 PM »

My newly purchased 4107 has a Magnatek 6345 power converter. There is no inverter simply because there is no battery bank to support one.

I have a feeling this thing overcharges my three 8D batteries (Two starts) so I don't leave it connected very long. The charger output voltage is a constant 14.4, but I have no reading on amps so I don't know for sure if it is actually overcharging.

Do any others have these things and can give me some first hand experiences with them. My plan is to update it with a 3-stage converter/charger unit that is a bolt in and replaces most of the unit.

I know they're obsolete and parts are not available. I'm not even sure why a converter is necessary since chargers can easily be connected to the batteries. The reason for a DC system separate from the batteries escapes me?

It even had a small permanently plugged in "smart charger" connected to the start batteries?? I disconnected it because I could see no reason for two chargers connected to the same batteries. It does have a switch which isolates the house and start batteries so maybe that was the reason?

I haven't spent much time analyzing this system yet but don't have a lot of confidence in it overall.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »

Gus..I can't give you any info on your converter. But my coach came with an antique converter that I didn't trust so I installed a smart charger and pulled the "charge" fuse on the converter.
I'm a lot more comfortable with the shore charge system now that I know what's going on. Six years...No issues...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »

Gus
That converter does not have a regulated charger. It will put out 14.4 - 14.7v as long as it is plugged in and over charge you're battery's.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:46:24 PM »

Thanks guys, that pretty much confirms my suspicions. I really don't trust this thing at all!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 07:27:35 PM »

Here's an interesting read on the MagnaTek:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=23861.0

If you are looking to charge your batteries safely you probably don't want to keep the MagnaTek.  Many RVs/trailers use a converter to provide 12V and battery charging while plugged in. Most of these don't have an inverter/battery bank to provide AC while not plugged in.  

How do you plan to use your bus - do you need AC when not plugged in?  If so, you probably should buy an inverter with a charger built in.  There's a number of threads about planning your electrical system.

If you are just looking to get a replacement for the MagnaTek, there are some replacement options at
www.bestconverter.com

Steve
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 05:34:47 AM »

I installed the conversion kit from Bestconverter.com in my truck camper, it's an excellent upgrade.  Why a converter instead of a simple charger?  In an RV installation, the converter forms the AC and DC distribution and load center for the RV.  It has the AC breakers for the main input, it has some AC distribution breakers, it has the DC charger and the DC fuse box for distribution.  It's a modular all in one system designed for easy specification and install in a mass produced vehicle or unit.  I quite like them, I think they serve a very useful purpose in that context, I'm very happy with the one in my camper, and I installed one in my bus when I was getting it up to speed.  I've since expanded, gone to  a 24 volt house system so I no longer use the 12 volt charger in the converter, but I still use the ac and dc distribution panels for part of my AC system, and all of my 12 volt house wiring (I derive 12 volts using a Vanner).

No question there are other more complex and flexible ways of doing your house system, but a converter install can be complete and running in a couple of hours, and totally solve the wiring requirements for a lot of mainstream RV requirements. 

And yes, the Magnatek is an obsolete piece of junk, toss it as soon as you can.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 09:34:10 AM »

When I got this bus, it had a Magnatek converter/charger.  I do not recall the model.  I had the same concern that you do about the charger part.  I called Magnatek tech support.  They emailed me a labeled picture of the inside of the unit and told me which wire to pull to disable the charger.  It worked fine for the DC.  If you do that, you can just have a separate charger.  I removed the converter though when I installed the inverter/charger.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 10:04:58 AM »

Most of those old converters just produced 2 to 5 amps on charge,anyway he needs to check the panel some of the 6345 were solid state with 3 stage chargers I have one in a motor home

good luck
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:09:48 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »

Inverters are out because I have only one house battery and probably won't add any more. Plus it is 12v, not good for inverters in my opinion.

There is a conversion kit for it, mine is a very early model 6345A. The kit is a WF-8945-REP which sells for around $200. It has a three stage charger and only filtered DC outputs so it would appear to be a good idea. Brian, is this the one you used? Anyone else experienced with this kit?

The Magnatek 7345 RU conversion kit has only a single stage charger and costs about the same. Magnatek tells me they are coming out with another kit to convert older models. I'm going to post Magnatek's tech service email as a separate post because it is kind of long but think it might be of interest. Their tech service is most helpful.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
gus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 04:29:44 PM »

Email from Parallex Tech which is the old Magnatek:

"The issue we have with "smart charger technology" (when used in an RV) lies more with the application of the technology than the technology itself. In a typical RV 12 volt electrical system, the converter/charger and the battery or battery bank is connected in parallel with the rest of the 12 volt distribution system.

In "parallel" means where the charging source (converter/charger) positive and negative output is electrically connected to both the battery bank positive and negative, and the 12-volt distribution system positive and negative, at the same time.

The voltage output of the converter "smart charger" is based on a "detected" battery voltage. The converter "smart charger" claims to "monitor" and respond to battery condition while connected to the entire 12 volt system. (To my knowledge) All of the RV "smart chargers" currently offered by anyone have a single output from the power supply that feeds the entire 12 DC system and none have a separate or isolated battery charger output whether they provide multiple positive and negative output terminals or not.

Unless the charging source (converter) has a separate or isolated charging output, we do not agree that a converter or charger can effectively differentiate requirements of the batteries from other loads while simultaneously connected to the rest of the 12 volt distribution system in the RV. There are also 12 volt loads on the system that may not react well or could be damaged by the voltage imposed on the batteries (and thus the 12 volt system) while parallel connected. If using an external "smart charger" we recommend isolating the batteries from the 12 volt load system so that 12 volt system loads are not exposed to "equalization phase" elevated voltages etc.

If a converter "smart charger" is only connected to the battery bank and can therefore monitor only battery voltage and current, and is not also connected "in parallel" with the 12 volt distribution system, we have no issue with the operation or application of "smart charger technology".

We are soon to release an "upgrade" section for the 500, 6300, and 7300 series systems based on the 4400 series ParaMode circuit board that will be called the TCRU.

This upgrade unit will have a temperature sensor cable that would need to be run and connected to a battery negative post. The output converter output voltage will then be continuously adjusted based on the detected temperature at the sensor. This will provide a more appropriate "float" voltage to the battery system based on the voltage the battery needs for the temperature the batteries are experiencing. Maximum voltage to the 12 volt system and the batteries will be about 14.5 volts DC and minimum voltage will be around 12.5 volts DC making the system voltage safe for use with the other 12 volts loads on the 12 volt system.

This temperature compensated output voltage will not be affected by 12 volt load use or while the RV is in storage.

The upgrade will also have a 4 hour timed "boost" mode for faster recharge after initial power on.

The upgrade will replace the present converter section but cannot be added to the present converter section.

Look for more information on this upgrade to be added to our website at www.parallaxpower.com in the near future. While the 7345RU upgrade is available now, I do not have a firm date at this time when the TCRU will be available for sale or what the price is slated to be. I know it should be soon."

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
gus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 04:32:18 PM »

Lin,

I forgot to ask you about that wire, do you know which one it was?

Do you know if pulling a fuse will give the same results?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »

Sorry Gus,

I kept the info around for a while after I sold it just in case the Nut that bought it would want it, but then deleted the picture.  As mentioned, I do not even remember the model number.  I am not sure if removing the fuse does the same thing.  They had emailed me a picture on the interior of the unit and told me to pull one wire--I believe it was brown.  Mine had just a single stage, 7 amp charger.

gus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 08:01:40 PM »

Lin,

Thanks, I think mine is the same as yours so I'll take a look at wires.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 09:50:57 PM »

Gus,

I sent you a PM.  I found the picture on my backups.

gus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »

After a lot of web crawling I have discovered that the Inteli-Power PD4645 Converter/Charger with Built-in Charge Wizard can be used to convert the Magnatek. It has a four stage charger and does a desulfation high voltage surge every 21 hrs.

This thing seems to be more advanced than the WIFCO WF-8945-REP that I was earlier considering and for almost the same money, very little more depending on where you shop.

Anyone have experience with the Inteli-Power PD4645?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: