Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 06:58:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: electric wires in the ceiling  (Read 953 times)
flynbanjo

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »

We are finally getting to the point where we are ready to hard wire the roof top A/C units into the electrical system.  What is the best way to run the wires in the ceiling?  One thought we had was to drill a hole in each of the roof ribs and run the wires through them.  Another was to run furring strips from front to back to create the space to run the wires.  Any better ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steven
81 MCI MC9

Steven
81 MCI MC9
Hudson, Florida
Hal

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 08:28:19 PM »

That's one way but if you do run it that way be sure to sleeve the holes to protect the wires. Another way is to run down the side of the ribs and run them through a chase at the ceiling/wall area or where ever you choose. It's good practice to provide a chase to run future wires both during the conversion and later as needed. Hal
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 08:31:17 PM »

I did the furring strips! Not only did that give me a space for wires, it gave me something to apply my ceiling panels to!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 08:32:25 PM »

On the 8 we did we ran a wire trace down driverside of the bus and covered it up with trim where the ceiling meets the wall then you don't have to drill all the ribs.where you do make sure to use a rubber grommet or piece of vinyl hose to keep wires from wearing Thur.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:39:53 PM »

Run 1x2 fir strips length wise and that does three things-one it gives you room to run the wires, two makes the roof thicker for more insulation when you spray in the insulation, three as previously said-provides an anchor for your ceiling.  I used light weight plastic conduit with no ground wire-so I had to run three wires.  Then-if the wiring goes bad, you can pull new wiring without tearing up the ceiling.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
flynbanjo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 08:02:34 PM »

Great advise.  Thanks for the help

Steven

Steven
81 MCI MC9
Hudson, Florida
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: