Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 04:02:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripping off ECM  (Read 3827 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2011, 08:15:34 AM »

There have been quite a few ECM (Engine Control Module) being stolen right off the engines.  Granted trucks are far easier to get to by just flipping up the hood, but all of you with electronic engines might be a bit wary.  The thieves unbolt the ECM and just cut all the electrical lines to it for a quick and sloppy removal.  While the new ECM is costly-mainly because you now don't have a core, rewiring is expensive.  Course, with L.A. Freightliner being a factory approved repair shop, we have to remove all the cut wiring and replace it with a new wiring loom-rather then just splicing the new ECM in. 
I don't know why the engine manufacturers continue to put the ECM's directly mounted on the engines.  I would think they would want the ECM inside the cab where it is sheltered from vibration, wet, cold, heat, dust and dirt.  But-then again, I'm not the manufacturer.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:29:35 AM »

Interesting post.  Might consider more secure mounting screws for the ECM.  One way or prison head screws might be a good idea.

When I installed burglar bars on a house years ago, I used flat head Phillips and drilled out the slots.

All that would make it more difficult for you to remove it but might be worth the pain.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:25:36 AM »

I didnt know where else to mention this, but this is probably as good of place as any considering the subject. There is an increasing likelyhood of someone in the near future (NK, China, Iran, etc...), detonating a Nuclear weapon high above the Central US, approx 300 miles up, with the sole purpose to create an EMP (electromagnetic pulse). It is a serious enough threat that many dept's at the top levels of Government are hardening against it. This is not a joke.

I dont understand all the physics involved, but basically this "pulse" will fry anything with transistors and micro circuitry instantly, nation wide. It wont matter if its plugged in or not. Cell phones, TV's, Computers, all modern electronics will destroyed, including all cars and trucks with ECM's, and the entire national power grid. The only way to save anything electronic is to isolate it within a Faraday cage. Older cars with points ignition and generators will most likely survive, though the condensor might be fried. Generators that have diesels or standard ignition systems will likley survive, as will a lot of old tube type equipment, but not if its connected to the power grid. 

I first heard of this several years ago, but thought is was BS Sci-fi bunk. But I was recently doing some required study and testing for firefighting qualifications, and one of the scenarios FEMA discussed was an EMP. With the increased amount of rocket testing thats been going on overseas, the potential of this situation has gained more attention by those who are watching. A book that was recently published, 'One Second After' by William Forstchen, has also gained the attention of several Congressmen.

If you review the potential of this, and considered the possibilities, people stealing engine computers may have a completely different purpose than one might initially suspect. Having a pile of good useable electonics stashed away and EMP protected, they could be worth their weight in gold under the right circumstances. It may never happen, and I pray it doesnt, but that certainly wouldnt prevent a few nutcases freaking out and stockpiling things like this via theft. 

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »

If that were to happen I think we would have far more important things to worry about than whether or not our cars will run.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 04:15:18 PM »

Most thieves aren't smart enough to stockpile stuff for a scenario that is unlikely to even happen.  More than likely they sell them for cash today to folks who don't care where they came from.

If an EMP did wipe out everything electronic there isn't going to a lot of demand for trucking at least until factories, warehouses, and other facilities come back online.  Almost everything is computerized these days.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
blank

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 05:51:41 PM »

I am convinced it is a very serious threat, and there are many sources that can be found to support that idea. Google "EMP". There is a very good description in Wikipedia, as well as many others.

Its just something to consider, and thats why I posted it.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 06:25:30 PM »

WHATTTTT HUUU oh the con trails will probably wipe them out?Huh

Dave

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 06:37:35 PM »

When this happens, of if, it is the beginning of the end as we know it. People would go crazy and food would be hard to come by. But, anyhow, how else can we protect them from the thieves.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 06:41:59 PM »

Same thing happen back in the 70's the thief's thought the catalytic converters were loaded with gold and they were stealing those from parked cars same now with gold and silver at all time highs they believe they can get rich fast maybe 1 gram of gold in a ECM and their not smart enough to even extract that

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »

Considering the price working used DDEC units can bring, my guess is that the majority of the ones stolen are by thieves that know exactly what they are stealing and where they can fence it.
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 06:57:22 PM »

I agree Mike.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 07:34:04 PM »

I presume black helicopters and the rapture will also be involved in this operation??

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »

> GUS... LOL

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »

Personally, I am a lot more worried about catalytic converters being stolen than my ECM.  Thieves have been taking cordless sawzalls to cars in parking lots and removing catalytic converters.  Scrap yards would pay about $35 each for catalytic converters.  I haven't read anything in the paper recently about this.  Maybe the new laws at scrap yards about payment by check only and ID required scared them off.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
blank

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 10:44:58 PM »

No one wanted to believe Japan would attack the US, even though it was suggested more than a decade in advance by Billy Mitchell, who was court marshalled for his outspoken opinion years before it took place. They named the Mitchell Bomber after him, posthumously.

No one wanted to believe anyone would fly airliners full of passengers into the World Trade Center, even though that scenario was suggested years in advance.

I doubt anyone would care a smidge about scrap gold value if an event of this magnitude took place. But the bartering value of a working ECM, in a world where nothing works, could be quite substantial. What would you hand over for one to be able to get back home?
  Anyway, sorry I brought it up. For those still interested, here is a report by the US Fed EMP commission. Though it should be noted that we have made virtually zero progress on any of the recommendations fr0m this report since it was created in 2004.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:MOt_DLFMemEJ:www.empcommission.org/docs/empc_exec_rpt.pdf+threat+of+EMP&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgETZhXmwjdJ3NzD-zGVy3DjGBRxIQQJx6WNAu1vwCVUxtSRINCeAa3CWfILmiE_qxRNJbmWt18IEE48kKB4iVglatTR9SN6CIjXifpIfnCWahzmNXViACqROk4d8sSQuUysgbQ&sig=AHIEtbQQg_kitMgbKKFUD4QbNIaUUQcCqQ
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:08:16 PM by artvonne » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: