Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 06:10:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripping off ECM  (Read 3830 times)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 01:40:33 AM »

Same thing happen back in the 70's the thief's thought the catalytic converters were loaded with gold and they were stealing those from parked cars same now with gold and silver at all time highs they believe they can get rich fast maybe 1 gram of gold in a ECM and their not smart enough to even extract that

It's platinum inside catalytic converters rather than gold. But the platinum is contained in a ceramic honeycomb and not exactly easy to get at.

As far as I can think, there not enough of anything worth recovering in solid-state electronic circuitry (eg ECMs) - however if you do want to recover decent amounts of gold then a good place to start is with the huge banks of relays in old-style telephone exchanges, before they went digital. The contacts inside the relays were gold, and quite easy to get at with a hammer and a pair of snips. But you still needed a huge number of relays to make the effort worthwhile - plus a very high boredom threshold and a very low opinion of the value of your time.

Jeremy

PS. I won't comment on the likelyhood of a nuclear attack from some some rogue state - Len Silva has already summed that scenario up quite nicely.

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 05:59:42 AM »

Back in the 60's and 70's we played out EMP scenarios in the Army This is not a new idea and most military electronics are EMP hardened.  It is possible that this could happen in the US but very unlikely. That said thieves don't think far enough ahead and probably have never heard of EMP to be stealing and storing ECM's. That would be too much like working and having a savings account for retirement.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 06:14:38 AM »

What version are they ripping off Tom the V makes no sense to try and resale the later version the serial number will pop up at any DD dealer if they ever go to the shop and DD hooks the laptop to it most of those are programed not to even start on a different engine .

good luck
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:22:14 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 06:18:08 AM »

Grin Shocked Huh

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

This guys ready for the EMP--

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
libby

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 06:21:02 AM »

While the EMP threat is real and recognized by many, our greatest threat right now is the rising cost of living and the disappearance of the middle class, as more people fall below the poverty line the cost of maintaining any kind of normalcy for them is huge and any one of them could be anyone of us, the food we're seeing on the store shelves is irradiated to preserve the idea of freshness and laden with chemicals to promote rapid growth, most of the water is also an excersize in the marvels of modern chemistry, at what point does this come back to haunt us, many with buses can at least find some kind of refuge and many have the ability and perhaps the knowledge to provide alternatives to the store bought and chemically altered foods like the white flours that have lost any nutritional value.  How many here have had to realize the value of their buses after experiencing a "downsizing" in their particular job markets already and things won't be getting better any time soon, the government can come up with a huge number of new words to keep from saying depression but the fact remains that we've had some hard times and from all indicators things won't improve very soon.  This isn't intended to be political, just reality, we need each other to get thru hard times. The growth of the cancer rate is thought to be directly related to what we consume and what is chemically added to it to make it easier to market and to extend shelf life, other ailments seem to fall along the same path.  Thieves will always be grabbing what they feel they can make a quick buck on, the real danger to us is our lifestyles and what we are doing, debtwise and consuming.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 08:50:15 AM »

...many with buses can at least find some kind of refuge...

Cool, I'm a survivalist and I never knew it!

Now I just need to get an elephant gun to deal with those pesky Graboids...

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 09:32:04 AM »

Actually the EMP turned out to be the best way to deal with the Graboids. BUT, you can always use another elephant gun Wink

.577 T-Rex go BOOM

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 09:42:57 AM »

Escalation!!!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2814499516092480881

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 09:43:07 AM »

Well, this is another one of those times when keeping my big mouth shut would have been a much better idea.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 09:54:11 AM »

This EMP bunk was originated way back in the '80s by the loonies in a couple of right wing think tanks closely tied to the defense industry. A small bit of research, other than Rush and Fox News, will show that the same wackos who started this nonsense also convinced a gullible bunch of us that Saddam had WMD and was buddies with al-Qaeda!! These were exposed as blatant lies. A great number of people still believe this stuff?

Most of the EMP is from Rush and Fox News!!

The real space threat is from our own US of A, we're the ones messing it up.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 10:50:35 AM »

You guys pay attention to Gus I never knew that there were two sides of the news till he put me on to Fox with all the bad mouthing he did against Fox now I watch it everyday.
Oh he forgot to tell you guys Chris on Hardball had a segment a few years back on EMP that was the first I heard about and he is about as left as anybody so there is no right or left here Gus,why you always bring up the left,right deal for the life of me I don't know it just always starts a bunch of BS when you do. Me I am not to worried about it with Omoma,Nancy and Harry it will be alright lol

good luck
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 11:00:40 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
gus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 08:10:30 PM »

The only reason I brought it up is the EMP scare was originated by two or three of the brains who got us into the Iraq invasion mess.

Instead of getting hysterical about EMP destroying America I presumed it would help for any with open minds to know where this stuff originated.

Sorry, really sorry about introducing you to "Fair and Balanced" FN!! That is a terrible thing to have on ones conscience!! However, from the way you refer to the three people usually favored for right wing attacks I feel safe in thinking I didn't!

It is true that left or right is not all that important, but lies and intentional hysteria are kind of important.

If you look carefully you will notice that I never originate this stuff. If nobody ever questions this weird stuff some might think it is actually true.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
blank

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 12:38:09 AM »

The only reason I brought it up is the EMP scare was originated by two or three of the brains who got us into the Iraq invasion mess.

Thats kinda funny seeing as the damage from an EMP has been been known since the 1960's. To suggest it is something new since 9-11 is ludicrous. What is new are our new enemies and the types of weapons they are building and testing.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 02:49:04 PM »

Darn!  I was just showing Marilyn the original post, and nearly had her convinced that I needed to buy an old Pickup, without an ECM, then you guys had to go and blow my argument...;-)
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: