Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 04:56:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thermostat behavior differences (6v92)  (Read 1617 times)
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2006, 07:29:06 PM »

I'm in the middle of replacing my coolant and thermostats.  I thought I had 160 degree stats, but turns out I had 180 in already.  I decided to test the old right next the new in a pot of water.  Both start opening almost dead nuts on 180 degrees.  However, by 190 the new thermostat was open almost an entire 1/8" more than the old thermostats.  In addition, one of the old thermostats was opening crooked.  I suspect that is not good behavior!  The new thermostats I got from Luke @ US Coach have a slightly different design than the old ones.  The new ones have the spring and retaining bracket below the part of the housing that is imobolized in the bus.  This allows the thermostat to open truer as it only slides down the center shaft.

On a side note, I had to replace the fuel cross over hose that goes from the left to the right heads.  The old hose was falling apart down to the internal steel jacket!  Turns out the part has the equivalent of power steering hose ends on it and can't be made up at any of the truck supply places I went to.  However, NAPA did have the fittings and the hose and was able to make a direct replacement for me!  Now all I have to do is figure out how to reprime this beast once the coolant hoses I need to replace have been replaced and the new coolant put in.

Ah, the fun of these old diesels and good ole Napa!
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 07:01:38 AM »

Brian, its a good time to add an electric primer pump for the fuel......12v pump from auto zone and a few home depo fittings and goodbye to priming woes! Probably do all for $40 or less...click on my profile and you can see my setup. It works great..I put new fuel filters on dry and then turn on the pump to fill them and prime the system. HTH Chuck

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 07:39:02 AM »

What Chuck said about putting in a primer pump is a good idea. And---installing the fuel filters dry is always the safest way since there is always the chance of getting a small piece of dirt on the wrong side of the filter when filling them up from a can.  The electric pump can at times of mechanical failure get you out of a bind.  It is good to stay with the 180 thermostats for best efficiency.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 08:03:53 AM »

Thanks guys.  I've got a 24v pump Napa is getting in for me today.  I'll pick it up tonight after work and hopefully have it plumbed in by early next week for my first restart after all this work.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »

Hope you ordered the high pressure pump from napa, and not the lower pressure pump. It should be about 13 psi, and not more than about 20 psi.  Their small one just didn't have enough push to work well. BTDT.

Also, post some photos of the two different thermostats, if you can. Would like to compare the ones I have waiting to install with yours.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 03:57:24 PM »

Here are two side by side pictures comparing the old with the new.  The new one is still silver (on the right side of the pictures).

Stan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 05:41:13 PM »

Chuck: My understanding of the DD fuel system is that the fuel first goes through the 'strainer' then through the fuel pump and then through the 'filter' which feeds the heads.

The fuel pump is a positive displacement pump that you cannot push fuel through unless it is turning or the pump is severely worn.  Your installation picture looks like the auxillary pump is on the inlet line to the strainer. How do you get fuel into the filter after the pump?  Do you crank the engine while the auxilllary pump is running?

I always replaced the engine fuel pump when I bought a bus and I could not pump fuel with an auxillary pump through the system. The auxillary pump was added after the engine pump was replaced so I have no experience with an older pump. What is the secret?
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 06:33:05 PM »

Yes, I Just turn on the electric fuel pump and it makes a rapid pulsation sound, when the sound slows down to a cluck-cluck (;-0 then I start the engine and off she goes. I run it for a few minutes and turn off the electric pump and turn the valve and move along. (So, yes I crank with the aux pump running)
 I never thought about how/why it worked.....it's my "modus operandi"
But probably the fuel pump worn... I'll see how it works with my new engine.....If I get it installed!

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 11:47:28 AM »

Chuck you'll get it installed and then it's time for RALLY'ING ! LOL! Opps! Let's modify this an start at the Deleware Rally! LOL!

Bruce & Nicks Gig Deleware Sept 22nd-24th
Eagles Bash Branson, MO Oct 2nd-5th
Dallas & Cats Shindig Timmonsville, SC Oct 5th-8th
Christy's Jersey Round Up Carthage, MO Oct 13th-15th
TN Fall Bus Bash @ Knuckle's Union City, TN Oct 26th-31st
PLEASE do not wait till the last minute to sign up or worse yet, just plan on dropping in.  All rallies take a lot of planning .  We must know how many folks are coming so we can plan the activities.  I am sure we plan for a few extra, but if we are overwhelmed with folks we did not plan for, that becomes unfair to everybody.  End of soap box!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Get those registrations into Bruce/Nick, Byron, Dallas & Cat, Christy, & Me and look at all the fun you'll have going to Deleware to Branson, MO to Timmonsville, SC, to Carthage MO, and then here to Union City, TN for an excellent extended month long adventure of camping and commodere! BK!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: