Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 14, 2014, 06:56:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: reliabilt engine history source  (Read 1538 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2011, 05:50:29 AM »

i just noticed a Reliabilt emergency tag on my engine (again) and thought i would try to get more history (like why gaskets are on with silicone).  Calling DD themselves was not much help.  You could almost hear the guy's tone say "Here's a quarter, call someone who cares".

i'd like to find out when it was bought, when rebuilt, any history they had as far as where it came from, who they sold it to and where they shipped it.  Maybe that will tell me who installed it.

so if not DD, where can i get this info?

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:21:29 AM »

Tom, no history on those engines they are bought and most had the serial number of the original engine stamped on the block some were left blank depending on who installed it.
The reason for the silicone was probably sent with no back plate or in a bare block form you never know how they were ordered,DD rebuilt every part on the engine maybe you are looking at a tag for some component also   

good luck
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:30:41 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 06:29:08 AM »

What gasket dressing is recommended when assembling the front and back of a DD engine?  I just disassembled the front of my new industrial engine to convert it to a bus configuration, this is a factory rebuild and never run so very clean, you could tell there was some sort of dressing on the gaskets, not silicone though.  Definitely not dry gaskets, they were stuck on very well.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:34:11 AM »

Clifford, Florida DD in Ft. Myers told me the engine was sold thru covington DD in 1998 becuase they had a warranty issue of some sort in july/98.  the warranty work was for premier motor coach, and it was my Eagle VIN.

Covington DD has not been nearly so helpful so far.  The service guy i got said he'd call back, but not sure i want to hold my breath waiitng.

and it wasn't the premier motor coach in NH.  Randy was very friendly, but never any Eagles.

Tom

lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:59:29 AM »

There will be no records of any work done in an independent shop, let alone under someone's shade tree. It is "as is" now. Just maintain it and fix what comes up as necessary.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 07:03:09 AM »

Was it a complete engine I have never been able to chase those down only what dealer sold the engine and like you when they had warranty work done which BTW was often.
I have been to Utah were those were rebuilt and it would not be my choice for a 15,000 dollar rebuilt engine.
I have a friend that started the rebuilding program for DD turbos there he left and open his own shop because of the cost cutting.
I witnessed liners and pistons from a engine that blew up on the dyno after a few minutes stuck in another engine block nothing wrong with that but being DD you would think they would installed new one there were sets already loaded ready to go but they used those fwiw anyone can buy that engine from DD and install it doesn't have to be a dealer  

good luck
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:08:27 AM by luvrbus » Logged

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 07:05:05 AM »

covington DD is hardly an independent shop, and certainly not under a shade tree.  They have the info, just not as helpful and Randy in Florida.  Randy gave me all he had, but Covington somewhere has the purchase orders, invoices, contacts, and maybe an old wrench that remembers, if we can find out which of their facilities did the work to install.

Tom

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 07:24:15 AM »

Tom, I will make you a bet when that engine left Utah there was no silicone used there what happen after that is anyone's guess,try an remove one a PITA I use wire brushes on a grinder the only I can remove one 

good luck

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 09:39:29 AM »

Tom try Premier motor coach in Knoxville, TN and for what it is worth they now occupy the old Covington DD building there!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 07:04:11 PM »

Thanks bk for the tip, but mike in knoxville said no, they don't do Eagles, maybe premier in Baton Rouge.  They don't seem to have a phone number any more, so even tho still listed on google, seems they are out of business.  Oh well.

i got some good tips from Doug at Williams DD in Brunswick, thanks to ken at same place.  they got me the history on HP, 2250rpms, that it was shipped and installed with accessories, etc.  Covington DD who originally installed the engine into my Eagle, was absolutely no help, but that was greensville.  I may try the Nashville office to see if the folks there are helpful since they did the install in '98.

i just wanted some background on the bus and the engine.  if i have to pull the engine and tranny, what needs to be done that hasn't already been done?  someone may have some history.

Tom

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 07:18:35 PM »

What was the HP rating at 2250 Tom

good luck

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 08:09:04 PM »

they said 400.  had transitional 6465 injectors?  the tech didn't find that part number so not sure what they were other than all installed and tested together.

Tom

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 08:35:58 PM »

Strange setup you have Tom did that Eagle have a 8v92 from the factory if so Eagles your model had a 435 hp @ 2100 or 365 hp @ 1950 with the fuel squeezer engine both had 9290 injectors, both had 1242 ft lbs of torque @ 1400 rpm 

good luck
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:44:09 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: