Yup, here we go again.... lol
This is taken from our tech archives section under Green Book.
This is why you should NOT use extention cord wire for your bus wiring...http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/usershub/safety/documents/extensioncord.pdf
Disallowed Uses Of Extension Cords
The following uses of extension cords are not permitted at the NHMFL:
Extension cords may not be used in place of permanent facility wiring. Cords shall not be attached to building surfaces or structural members. They shall not be permanently concealed in walls, ceilings, or under floors - including raised computer floors.
Do not run cords through moisture, tied to over-head pipes, across traveled roads, under carpets, or across areas of high foot traffic.
Extension cords may not be run through doors, ceilings, windows, holes in walls, or through hinged door openings in enclosures. This is to prevent pinch damage to the cord. If it is absolutely necessary to run an extension cord through a doorway or open window for short-term use, the cord must be protected from damage should the door or window slam shut; it must be removed immediately when no longer in use; and must not be a trip hazard.
Do not use extension cords that are frayed, cut, or damaged such that inner conductors show, or that have outer sheaths which have pulled loose from their molded plugs exposing the inner conductors. In particular, do not use a cord that has a bare conductor exposed.
Detachable multi-tap adapters may not be used on extension cords nor on receptacles.
Cords may not be repaired with electrical tape, nor may tape be used for other purposes on a cord. It may conceal damage.
Cord overload and overheating:
In addition to the total electrical load, the conditions of use affect extension cord safety. Rated capacity for an extension cord assumes it will be used in an open-air and straight configuration.
As electric current passes through a wire, electrical resistance causes some voltage drop and heating of the wire. Coiling or winding excess cord length can concentrate this heat and overheat the cord. Similarly, covering a cord with a rug or rag can trap heat and overheat the cord. This trapped heat can damage the cord and lead to a fire. Tying a knot in a cord can have a similar outcome.