Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 06:40:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 24V Light Builbs and XM Radio Update  (Read 1461 times)
NJT5047

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2006, 07:43:57 PM »

Where does one find a good price on 24V turn sig and dual filament tail light bulbs? I've got 24V bulbs in my toad tailights and need a tail light bulb. Someone posted something like "Lighthouse" recently as a supplier for 24V bulbs. I bought some marker light bulbs at the local NAPA and got bent over. Trying to avoid that!
Got the XM radio thing done. Bought an XM SKYFi 2 with a couple antennas. The tunerl moves between vehicles.
It works too good! I've tried the cassette adaptor (Lexus and Jeep both have CDs and cassette) and the FM transmitter (Astro only has CD). They all work well. I was worried that the FM transmitter would be funky sounding...sounds great. All you do is pick an unused FM channel from a list of presets in the tuner and it transmits on that freq. Cool.
Instructions indicate the cassette adaptor offers the highest quality sound, with the FM modulator second (this is hardwired into the antenna lead) and the FM transmiitter is supposed to be the worse....I cannot tell any difference. Only downside is that the unit will not work under anything...sort'of like sat TV. However, out in the open, I just throw the antenna on the dash and it works fine. They have all sorts of rules for mounting the antenna, but it seems to work anywhere that it can see the sky. This should be a welcome addition to the sound system in the bus. It has all the news channels in the lineup....Fox News, ABC, CNN, The Weather Channel, and right wing talk radio almost continuously. 160 some channels...good thing a remote comes with the decoder! Even has a tiny TiVo...hit a button when have to leave for a few, and it'll record 30 minutes of whatever you are listening to so nothing is missed.
BTW, if anyone buys an XM radio, be advised, when you activate the unit, it must be turned on and set to channel 1. I failed to do this...partly because I activated the unit at about 1 AM and didn't realize that they send a signal that has all the channels as an initialization rite. Well. I dinked around for several hours, using bad language and all, and finally called them for assistance. Very fast service and it was re-programmed by them...working perfectly now. Took about 20 minutes. You can see the channels loading on the screen.
This XM seems to be money well spent. I dearly love electronic toys...especially when I can figure out how to operate them... Huh
Cheers, JR Cool

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 08:32:27 PM »

I have had really good service and many good prices at the following store for 24 volt lamps.

Good luck and shop around.

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/

Grant
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 03:01:57 AM by grantgoold » Logged

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Busnut83

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 10:25:05 PM »

Yes, their price is krazy,,,, Try ABC bus co... 60 --80 cents !!!!!!!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 06:13:04 AM »

Also check out C & J bus repair in MN, or Ampcon in KC! BK  Grin

I'm on the laptop an not at my desk so I can't look up the #'s in my rollodex, but I know both can be found by searching my previous replies on this subject or by googling them! HTH FWIW ! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 04:55:03 PM »

www.bulbdirect.com

About $1 a bulb, no minimum order, fair price on shipping and good service

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 05:02:12 PM »

Ampcon 800-705-6392

C & J Bus Repair 800-228-7349

Or let me know the # and how many you need and I'll get them for you (I need to place a bulb order soon!) and you can pick 'm up & install them at the "TN FALL BUS BASH!" LOL! BK

Opps, shameless plug! [/b] [/color]

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 06:49:38 PM »

Thanks BK and everyone, but I don't know the number...it's the same as an 1157, but in 24V.  I've got 24V tailights on the back of the toad...need a bulb.  Miight as well get maybe 6 while I'm a-gitten.
That's a pretty good ride up there where you're at...and I'll just be paying off the mortgage for fuel to Timmonsville!  We went thru your area last year on the way to the Jersey Roundup.  Long ride.  Nice country!
I've gotta figure out what the bulb number is before buying.  Anyone? 
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 07:03:19 PM »

JR call either of the #'s I listed and they can tell you which bulb it is! I don't remember off thr top of my head, and I'm not down at the shop where I could look. 1683, 1863, and 1328 are stuck in my mind but I can't remember which is what or what!  BK  Grin

And fuel prices are dropping still just mortgage twice as much an you can go from Timmonsville, to Carthage, and back through here on the way home! See wasn't that easy! LOL!

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: