Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 08:48:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buses in general  (Read 6229 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 10:24:22 AM »

I noticed that in the discussion of buses in general here the eagle seemed to come off badly here because it was represented as a rare model with an unusual parts availability, I know nothing but according to cody, (correct as needed) the model that was discussed was a model 07, a model 10, 15, or 20 would have a no worse availability of parts than any other bus make, I think the eagle is viable in the market place as any other bus brand and might even have advantages over others, the torslastic suspension doesn't require airing up, won't blow an air bag or sag unless the adjustment is gone or wrong, the idea of rust will crop up but like any other bus can be an issue, check with Busted Knuckle, he has an MCI with a rusted out engine cradle.  For many years the eagle was the choice of entertainers as their personal ride, now prevost has taken over that role but we've often been asked at the gate of many of the music fests we've been to who we had onboard that is famous, cody usually just tells them it's teh Swedish Bikini Team. Another thing to keep in mind is the metal on the outside of the eagle isn't critical to the strenght of the unit, you can actually drive one down the road with the skin off the bus, most other brands would fold if you attempted that.  Eagle should be conciced as a viable choice but like any other bus examine any bus carefully to make sure it's what you want.

You need to see the original thread this was copied from entitled "Interesting bus...  too rare?".  We were discussing an Eagle 04, 1 of only 70 ever built, 1 of only 6 in the N. America, and the only one on the road on this continent.  I agree, 01, 05 10, etc. Eagles should be considered a good choice.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 10:25:35 AM »

I noticed that in the discussion of buses in general here the eagle seemed to come off badly here because it was represented as a rare model with an unusual parts availability, I know nothing but according to cody, (correct as needed) the model that was discussed was a model 07, a model 10, 15, or 20 would have a no worse availability of parts than any other bus make, I think the eagle is viable in the market place as any other bus brand and might even have advantages over others, the torslastic suspension doesn't require airing up, won't blow an air bag or sag unless the adjustment is gone or wrong, the idea of rust will crop up but like any other bus can be an issue, check with Busted Knuckle, he has an MCI with a rusted out engine cradle.  For many years the eagle was the choice of entertainers as their personal ride, now prevost has taken over that role but we've often been asked at the gate of many of the music fests we've been to who we had onboard that is famous, cody usually just tells them it's teh Swedish Bikini Team. Another thing to keep in mind is the metal on the outside of the eagle isn't critical to the strenght of the unit, you can actually drive one down the road with the skin off the bus, most other brands would fold if you attempted that.  Eagle should be conciced as a viable choice but like any other bus examine any bus carefully to make sure it's what you want.

You need to see the original thread this was copied from entitled "Interesting bus...  too rare?".  We were discussing an Eagle 04, 1 of only 70 ever built, 1 of only 6 in the N. America, and the only one on the road on this continent.  I think most would agree that 01, 05 10, etc. Eagles would be considered a viable option.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
libby

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »

Your right, we had the model wrong but the original idea still stands that a person can find a rare bus then have problems finding parts for that model, we don't have any problem finding parts for our eagle model 10, cody just calls napa and gets most of what he needs for it.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 01:23:24 PM »

Just for the record! Busted Knuckle's MCI engine cradle BROKE from fatigue and rough Louisiana roads! It was first a Hound then went to Grayline / Hotard of Louisiana before we bought it. The frame wasn't showing any signs of damage at the time we bought it.
But after 2 yrs of running it all over the country it broke and was quickly discovered and removed from service!
FWIW  Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »

BK I cannot believe that you would insinuate that the great state of Louisiana does not keep up with there road maintenance. Just because mud squirts up between the slabs of interstate 10 every time a truck passes over the seam  and truck drivers call US 190 out of Baton Rouge hemorrhoid hump. It is not Louisiana's fault if they don't know how to control their vehicles and let them bounce all over the highways.  Rod

blank

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 03:06:25 PM »

So you like the look of driving a shoe box, than forget about the old GMC's with their style.  You'll blend in with every other S&S if you stick with the newer look buses.

Uhmmmm, I like GMC's actually. But I have this little driveway problem, and a GMC just isnt looking capable without some serious mods to power or gearing. IMHO, none of the Buses Greyhound or other American carriers used after WW2 are bad looking. But some definetly look better than others, which was my impetus in starting this thread, to better understand the different makes or models, ones to look for, as well as which ones to avoid.

Cost of ownership is a very subjective area. What would be too costly for some, may only be a few hours pay for another. So we see the $million bus owners alongside the DIY old smokey Bus owners.

But older and decent doesnt necessarily mean cheap and useable either. A cool looking old Bus you cant find parts for, or parts that cost a fortune dont fit the cheap scheme. That old rare Eagle was also what helped precipitate this thread. Thats something you probably cant find glass for, or probably anything else.

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 04:10:36 PM »

I have this little driveway problem, and a GMC just isnt looking capable without some serious mods to power or gearing.

How bad is your driveway? My driveway is the reason I have the 4106 w/v730. Nothing else will come up here where I live unless it is around 35', low bay, and can handle grades that will almost stall the v730. If you have ground clearance issues then you would have very few buses to choose from. I think you might be referring to the GM PD-4104 which would not be a good candidate (extremely difficult to modify to an automatic), or any standard high geared 4 spd. You might want to look for a Crown if you do serious off road camping.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:12:54 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
blank

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 07:55:29 PM »

How bad is your driveway?

18% grade for about 75 feet, rapid increase to 22% for 40 feet, then drops to 14% the rest of the way. Bus length wont be a problem. Weight, power, gearing are the problem, vs momentum. If I can get enough of a run to clear that 22% part, I can probably get up here with anything. But I would prefer to grind up it slower with lower gearing.

I really wanted a GM, but am really not so crazy about an automatic. An 04/06 can reach to 10 mpg stock, seems at least 8 plus is pretty commonly suggested by many, I am guessing yours with an auto is back down in the 5 to 7 range? If so, thats MCI-9 territory with a manual, and they are geared low enough in first that it wont be a factor.

IOW, I would chose a bigger bus if there is no mileage hit, and nothing to modify or screw with to make it come up here. I just have to find the right one with the right gearbox, which hopefully wont be a million miles away when I strike.

Then Luvrbus mentioned that Prevost, and I started looking at those, plus I have always looked at Eagles. The problem I have with Eagles is they arent air ride. Air ride offers the ability to create a DIY leveling system. Prevosts are kinda classy looking, rounded enough it might even make a slight dent in fuel economy, but I dont know beans about them. But I did notice quite a few for sale that had RR transmissions. That got my attention.

IOW, If Prevost parts are as easy to find and no more expensive as for an MCI or GMC, I would consider one.

But then there are the Setras, Vanhools, and others, but I know way less than beans about those. However, I am wise enough to know that reliability, parts availability, and that those parts are cheap, can trump poorer fuel economy real fast. Which could put me right back behind the wheel of a 4106 with an auto. It is pretty confusing, but hopefully a thread like this can shed some light on the subject.     
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 02:01:44 AM »

Paul -

18% grade for about 75 feet, rapid increase to 22% for 40 feet, then drops to 14% the rest of the way.     

If you really want a bus conversion, and you really want to be able to get it in your yard without tearing up the driveline, IMHO you should get together with the local city/county/state traffic engineer and see what can be done about re-grading your driveway to something more manageable - before you spring for the bus of your dreams.  You've mentioned this before in another thread, and I think you really should follow up on it.

The four most popular bus chassis for conversions are Eagles, GMCs, MCIs and Prevosts, in alphabetical order.  Everything else is far behind for various reasons.  Nothing wrong with a Prevost, they're a good coach.  Older models can be prone to rust issues, just like Eagles and MCIs.  Caveat, as usual.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 04:14:13 AM »

If I was in your area I would take a run at your driveway with my\04 with manual.  From your descriptions it sounds like with a little headway it should do it.  Before you give up on the '04 try to get someone to take a run at it.  It isn't  dangerous as long as you have an appropriate tow vehicle uphill from the attempt area.  Remember to keep it simple, also in a pinch a pick up with a stretchy tow strap would be enough to aid the the climb for the long term. 

blank

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 10:32:17 AM »

Before you give up on the '04 try to get someone to take a run at it. 

Oh' my lovely driveway. I will try to keep this short.

I have spoken to the state about entrance, and now have approval to restructure the entrance along the state right of way, but there isnt anything I can do about the maximum slope.

As for trying it, I couldnt ask anyone to try it yet, the entrance is to difficult right now

In the next week or so I plan to start working on the entrance, extending the driveway further along the road to give a straighter approach with a smoother transition. The steepest section is a narrow band of cement, and I do not intend to change that, but I do intend to cement the entrance at the highway and blend into the original cement and widen it just a hair. I live on a rock. To alter the slope would require explosives, and there is no other place to come up. This is what I have, and I have to make it work.

I havnt given up on an 04, or anything else really. But I have to be 200% confident I can get whatever I buy up here before I plunk down any cash. As most anything I find is going to be many miles away, I will be driving home in something I have to know beforehand will make it up here without question, thus, I have to look for something with climbing ability that exceeds my needs with some reserve.

So far, an MCI with 5 or more gears appears more than capable of meeting my needs, though they are a much heavier and boxier and thirstier Bus than I ever wanted. I would love to have a GMC, an 04, 06, even an 07, they would be my first choice in fact. But they are so high geared and underpowered, the only way I will ever go looking for one is if I saw one make it up here first, and that they could do it safely with some reserve power. So I started this thread, hoping it could help others as well as myself to see other Bus options. Gotta say I like the looks of Prevosts. They seem sorta GMCish with MCI guts.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »

Solution...?

Video of it here:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=44608

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 12:37:21 PM »

Solution...?

Jeremy

You are NOT helping, lol.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: