Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 12:40:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MC5  (Read 12136 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 09:43:05 PM »

Someone put some money into this 5-A. Overpriced for the market, but a very good looking bus:

1966 MCI 5-A (35') Bus Conversion - part trade/contribution possible - $35500

This MCI 5-A has a fresh overhaul on its Detroit diesel 6V-92 engine (350 hp). Only 300 miles since the overhaul. Additional features include King cruise control, air leveling, 740 Allison automatic, E-Z Lift compartment doors, Alcoa aluminum wheels, 10 Trojan golf cart batteries, Toyo tires with 95% remaining, five 100 watt solar panels, 7 KW Kohler generator.

This bus conversion has a 12" raised roof, and was converted in 1992. It has been conscientiously maintained and updated, with a new stove, new refrigerator, new carpet, has built in vacuum system, and has a 3 cubic foot freezer on board. There is a queen bed in rear of bus. There are awnings all around, and the window are tinted. It has been recently professionally painted. This bus also has all the usual stuff you'd expect to see on a nice bus conversion.

We are selling our bus because we've bought a home and just aren't using the bus. Too much to do around our 40 acres!! It is a beautiful bus and runs great. We would take a part trade of a nice 3/4 or 1 ton pickup, possibly with a small nice trailer. We would also consider trade for silver or gold bullion or coins. We are also offering this bus as a partial donation to a charitable organization ($20,000 cash for the bus, and $15,500 donated for tax deductible donation) 541-499-7316
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:57:43 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 09:47:02 PM »

Since this is a 5-A thread:

MCI Bus conversion - $4850

1966 MCI diesel bus conversion. I think it is about 35ft. Inside is in great condition, outside is good condition (for a bus), the engine runs well will start when you jump across the starter sylenoid. HAS: full size bed, 3/4 bath, stove, oven, refrigerator, table with extention, central vaccum, pull out couch, TV, small captain's chair, holding tanks for fresh water & sewer, head liner with lighting, two giant batteries (24 volt start), carpet, luggage doors for storage. It makes a great one room studio apartment. We moved to a bigger home and have need of some cash and not a guest house now. Call David (559) 641-6416. Clear title on non-op.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
blank

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 10:02:17 PM »

A fuel leak in the head is probably from the fuel pipes to the injectors.
JC

It sounded to me like a leaky pipe he said was up "near" the the head, not inside it, but I'll have to look and see for myself. But if I am going to make a decision on it, its the kinda thing I will probably make up my mind on after I inspect it, so I wont be able to do an oil analysis. I should be able to tell by the feel and smell of the oil if its been washed out with fuel to bad, and the oil pressure and sound of the motor should tell me if it has any bearings left.

The guy isnt asking a lot for it, so its not like I would be starting off to upside down even if it needed some major mechanical work. In fact I probably want a different gearbox anyway, so id pull the motor and do it up, etc....I'm much more worried about the chassis structure, rust etc.,and the other things that are more difficult to fix.

Did they all have integral steering by 1975?? Anything to look for up there??
blank

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 10:09:29 PM »

Tom I know for a fact the 8 will fit the B and C don't know about the A's though. The front are more curved I think may be wrong.

Dave

I guess I am confused about A's ,B's and C series. I thought A's came first, then B's, then C's. Being a 1975, I just assumed this was a 5C. Apparently I am mistaken if you guys are saying its an A. Is the year of this screwed up, or did they make all the different series over the production run? Can I assume the sunken windshield leaving a roof visor makes it an A?
blank

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 10:29:44 PM »

Since this is a 5-A thread:

MCI Bus conversion - $4850

I saw that one, and the $35K one too. The $35K one is beyond my means.

The other one is 1800 miles away. Thats just to big of a logistical nightmare right now. This one I plan to look at is almost in my back yard.

Back to this drop box thing. Do the 7's 8's and 9's have a drop box? I was poking around trying to find pictures or a manual, but cant find anything. Does it have to have a drop box, or is there a way around it?
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 05:56:50 AM »

MC-5's are good buses, I have one and I like it.  Think of them as a shortened version of the MC7 or MC8, with the 5 feet taken out between the drive axle and the back of the bus.  Not quite exact, they only have two bays, but really the buses are identical to the longer buses in a great many ways.  1975 is a 5B if I'm not mistaken, 5C's are 1978 to  1980.  5B's are a lot like MC-8 in terms of steering, etc, and they would not have an integral box normally, they would have the ram assist style of power steering.  the MC-5 have the drop box, the other MCI's in that era did not.  Eagles did, however.  It's normally a strong, reliable unit.  Space between the engine and the drive axle is the big difference, you need a short transmission to fit in there.  I think a 7 speed with a really low first will probably fit in, but I have been unable to find a blueprint that really gives me accurate information on the size of the 7 speed.  Working out the clutch and shift linkage would be achievable but not trivial. 

Basically MCI's are good solid buses, a lot of stainless steel inside and out, some rust issues that you  can look for, but they made a ton of them and parts availability is as good as for any bus.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 05:58:35 AM »

To answer a few of your questions;  The 5A was made from 64-70.  The B was made from 71-77.  The C was made from 77-80.  So the one you are looking at could be a B or a C.   The C has a front end which looks like an 8, (roof has a little hump above the door)  200 Cs also have a double roof as they were modified to go to Saudi Arabia. These were brought back after about 10 years.  The drop box is necessary because of the 35' length. The good news though is that the boxes are fairly tough and that some of the Eagles also used the same box so as they, ummm, rust away, donor boxes are available. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 06:03:09 AM »

Well i was typing at the same time as Brian, i see we said about the same thing but i made a mistake. I thought you said it was a 77 you were looking at. A 75 will be a 5B.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
5B Steve

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 06:48:07 AM »

Hey, if it's a "B'' it's one of only 350 built. I have one and have always wondered why they only built that many.

Steve 5B.....
blank

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 07:07:27 AM »

I assume there is a data plate somewhere with a chassis number specifying the year, model and chassis number. Ive been inside a handful of MCI's, the last -8 I was in I really looked for a plate around the cockpit area but couldnt find anything. Where is the plate?

So do i understand correctly, that the B's and C's windshield is same as -7's, -8's and up, and readily available??

The drop box again. Still havnt seen a picture of one after googling over an hour, but its amazing the stuff you see putting in the word "drop box". Do I understand correctly the pinion faces forward, toward the front of the Bus, with the whole housing facing forward, and a gear assembly goes up/over to a driveshaft that faces rearward, connecting to the main driveshaft? Is the engine really sitting at an angle? I thought they were perfectly fore and aft, longitudinally.

The drop box again, how difficult to inspect?

Again, ive looked for an operators or service manual, I dont believe ive ever seen a picture of the engine in a -5. Are they simular to the later models with the belt drive blower above the engine?

Power assist steering. I dont believe ive read anything negative about steering on a -5. Is this not a problem like it is on later models??

Sorry for all the newby questions, and I thank you all for your many answers and support. It makes the decision to try a bus a lot easier, and prevents a lot of misguided mistakes, when you can talk about them with others who been doing it a while.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 07:10:06 AM »

Hey, if it's a "B'' it's one of only 350 built. I have one and have always wondered why they only built that many.

Steve 5B.....

One of 350 eh. Whats the difference between a B and a C??
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 07:12:06 AM »

Ok if you look at the front Side Clearance light the B's are rectangular and the A are bullet like with round lens same with the 3 in the middle A's are round and the B's are rectangular. So my fiends and Art this one you are looking at is definitely a 5B

Dave
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:24:23 AM by Dave5Cs » Logged

Dave5Cs

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 07:14:18 AM »

B has the protruding lights at middle and the C does not. The lower front, at the door has the slanted SS like on the A's and the C is straight down all the way to the rub rail. C have pullout and lift up bay doors withcables and springs and I think the A and B's have lift up with lifts and hinges
Dave
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:28:17 AM by Dave5Cs » Logged

blank

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 07:18:44 AM »

B has the protruding lights at middle and the C dos not. The lower front like at th door has the slanted SS and the C is straight down.
Dave

So they are virtually the same mechanically and structuraly, cargo doors etc., same parts fit both?
Dave5Cs

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 07:30:50 AM »

Yep in looking at Ed's  (A)and Steve's (B ) and My 5C Saudi) picture of their coaches that was pretty obvious. Other than that I am sure there are other differences but don't see what it is unless they were side by side.

Dave

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: