Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 11:58:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MC5  (Read 12641 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2011, 12:36:52 PM »

Any  4 belts from the same manufacture will work no such thing as a matched set all you are buying when people say matched set is BS

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »

I agree with Clifford on the belts, but you do have to watch out.  When I was scrambling around Halifax trying  to buy the belts, I got three from one manufacturer and one from another, and the odd one was a tiny bit different in size.  the thing is of the three from the same manufacturer, two were made by one supplier and one was obviously a different supplier, and they were a tiny bit different in size as well.  So that is what you have to watch out for, and it makes no sense to argue with parts guys when you are already going to three different stores to buy the belts in the first place....    What I did is put the two that seemed a tiny bit smaller on one end of the pulley and the two that seemed a tiny bit longer on the other end, and when I tighted the belts up with the turnbuckle I got the shortest two tight, loosened the mounts on the alternator and pried it a tiny bit off-angle so they were all the same tightness.  that worked fine for a thousand miles to get home.  For me all "matched" means is the same supplier, and preferably the same batch, even.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
blank

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »

Isuzu is a really good engine. I have an Isuzu powered back up generator at home.

I like MC5s myself, but even if you could get it cheap: $2 or 3000, are you sure you want to spend untold amount of time and money building a conversion, when you could buy one already converted?

JC

Yeah, I would rather buy and drive. But what I like I cant afford, and what I can afford I dont often like or its in Seattle or somewhere equally far away. 2000 miles is a long ways to go to look at something you probably dont want. And y'all have convinced me I'll probably end up inside the engine anyway, I might as well just rebuild it off the get go and be done with it. We'll see, I havnt heard back yet, so maybe they are thinking there is a bigger sucker out there than me.

There is another -5 down in Texas, used to belong to Barbara Mandrell supposedly. Still waiting to hear back about that one. Then there is another -5 up in Illinois, but thats almost 500 miles away and its an entertainer layout, so I would still have to redo it. Sigh...  I built and repaired campers when I was young, its not really that hard, and I know what I dont like.
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2011, 07:39:17 PM »

Art,
I sent you a PM.
Fred

Fred Thomson
blank

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2011, 09:19:08 AM »

Okay guys, we all know were nuts, or why would we be here? But there is nuts, really nuts, and just plain nuts. Just how nuts would I be to pay $4500 for this turd?

RJ?

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2011, 09:52:19 AM »

Any change from previous status, still no idea if it even runs?  totally and completely nuts.  Sorry.  If it can't be demonstrated to run and drive, and evaluate systems, it's worth nothing, to me anyway.

On the other hand, i don't understand your goals, only you really can.  If you want a bus to drive around in, get one that drives.  If you want a bus to camp and tour in, get a converted one that drives.  If you want a bus to work on and play with, get anything that makes you happy.  If you can't or don't want to afford what you really want or need, don't buy anything.  Honestly, a converted bus these days isn't something to sneak into, you need to either be in, or not be in.

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
blank

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2011, 10:37:09 AM »

I suppose anyone asking if their nuts is bound to get a lot of positive answers, lol. Especially asking other nuts.

Brian, I used to salvage Buses for scrap, so from my perspective they have value even without a motor or axles. However, I wrecked enough Buses to know better than to try that again. But we can still start with its scrap value. I believe one of these is worth around $1000 in scrap, not including the engine. I dont think it would be hard to find someone crazy enough to haul away the shell for at least that much.

All I can say from there is I see potential. Its a clean and straight rust free shell that has all the original heating and AC systems that are unmolested. It has an 8KW Isuzu Generator that looks brand new. The engine is extremely clean. Not washed in place, but more like it was installed clean and painted into a clean bay. Dont know how long its sat, but at least it was in good shape when parked.

My other feeling, is I look all over the US at Buses, and I read a lot, maybe too much. Too many Buses getting overhauls after paying good money. To many conversions that are half baked. Not many clean and unmolested shells out there you can start from scratch with. Plus its in my backyard.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2011, 10:53:23 AM »

Artvonne, I'm with you!  I too see the value in it,  but the risk of it not actually being able to run is so great.  My repower is going to cost me close to $5k by the time I am done, and that is with me doing 100% of the work and the new engine costing $2K.  The thousand dollar bills just fly out of your wallet, it seems!  $4500 is only $500 less than they were asking when they said it ran, had new batteries, etc!

What I had in mind, frankly, is the incremental cost you MIGHT incur with towing, delivery charges, etc, over and above.  that is what scared me.  It sound like, with your experience, you have that covered.  Therefore maybe you are only a little nuts!

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
blank

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »

What I had in mind, frankly, is the incremental cost you MIGHT incur with towing, delivery charges, etc, over and above.  that is what scared me.  It sound like, with your experience, you have that covered.  Therefore maybe you are only a little nuts!

Brian

If it was any farther away I never would have gone and looked at it. Looks like we need a coin operated nut-so-meter around here, lol.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2011, 11:23:13 AM »

Artvonne, I'm with you!  Therefore maybe you are only a little nuts!

Brian

Brian, if it were any father away I wouldnt have ever considered it. Looks like we need a coin operated nut-so-meter around here. Y'all have $1000 bills flying out the door and Buses up on jacks getting overhauled engines. Any sane person would run for the hills.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2011, 12:43:29 PM »

Actually, I went to the RV show the other day and saw what my 125 grand would buy me.  I am very very happy with my $30K bus...  Plus I just happen to have a jones for driving a bus   Grin  RV, not so much, I'd have to buy some pants that came up to my armpits and a matching belt and shoes set...  There is indeed extreme value in a bus, if you look at it just right and squint...

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2011, 05:25:55 PM »

I would one up calling you nuts, and instead call you crazy if you bite it for that. If it is not running it is not going to be sold anytime soon for $4500 IMO. You need to start playing some good poker with the overly optimistic owner and don't let the desire to have a bus give away your hand. You have mentioned one of the positives of this bus is that it still has it's factory air setup. That is the first thing most converters get ride of because it is a black hole attached to an already big money hole. If I remember correctly you are on a budget, so you need to price 30 pounds of R-12 and decide if it is really that important. BTW most old buses don't hold freon very well so keep that in mind also. I know you want a bus asap, but a little patience will pay off big for you if you allow it. Get the bus running and if it checks out ok then work on the seller some more. We are cheering for ya!

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2011, 05:49:51 PM »

Not washed in place, but more like it was installed clean and painted into a clean bay.

Not saying this is the case with this one, but some buses have had a "paint can rebuild". Take your time and check everything twice.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2011, 06:29:17 PM »

With a background in antique/collectible cars, I can appreciate a good, clean, straight, original body.

If you like the bus, go back with $2,500 or $3,000 in $100 bills.  Hold it out and say "I've got $3,000 I can give you for the bus right now" (or whatever you want to offer) and see what happens.  I bet he sells it to you.  If nothing else, it will shake his best price out of him.  $500 off is nothing.  Offer low and don't worry about insulting anybody.  Didn't you see that turn-key converted running, driving MC5 out west for $5K?

Be bold, CASH IS KING.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2011, 05:43:14 AM »

FWIW the general feeling around here is to offer about 1/3 of the asking price and go from there.  Right now, it is really only worth about scrap price since it does not run.  The "new motor" adds little or no value unless the rebuild can be accurately documented.  There are many sellers both private and professional that will be less than truthful just to make the sale.  Check out the archives here and you can see for yourself.  Maybe you should consider an offer of $1000 as it sits and if the owner can show that it runs then you can adjust the price accordingly.  As the prospective buyer, you are in control here since you can walk away at any time. 

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: