Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 07:49:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We are looking to buy a converted bus asap.  (Read 6326 times)
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 06:44:12 AM »

Because Transport Canada has whole buildings full of little pinhead dweebs who make stupid rules that impact Canadians in ways most people never realize exist let alone understand.

IOW - there's no reason - that's just the way it is.

That is precisely why I enjoy beating them with there own rules Smiley

As mentioned numerous times above pre 1971 buses are in fact the easiest to import. ( not requiring RIV involvement )

Others require thinking and the proper  paperwork, disclosures, long before appearing at the border crossing.

The inter provincial rules sometimes can be made to work to your advantage. Grin

Bob mentioned in another thread you are best to purchase a bus already converted and in Canada, since you want to be using your new purchase this spring you should listen to his good advise.

I have driven across the border crossing with the proper paper work a fully converted bus that had a classification # 8702.10.00 and a exemption # 9804.10  paying the dweebs $200.00 exemption fee and the GST.

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 07:26:19 AM »

Why can't an Eagle go into Canada? Just curious.

Trailways never operated in Canada. They were Eagles main customers.

Having no market in Canada, Eagle never applied for an Import Certificate. It's as simple as that!

Greyhound is very active in Canada. They use MCIs. MCIs are made in Canada, then shipped to the US for assembly. Mutual Import Certificates.

Prevost comes south pretty easy.

I think Canada is being pretty anal about imports from the US. Probably they are over protective of Canadian companies. It could be that those Hoseheads in Ottawa are inbred with the Qs.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 08:01:04 AM »

Joe,Greyhound ran a few Eagles in Canada when Greyhound owned Eagle some were sold there I know the Model 15's with the S/S siding that went to Ontario came back a few years later you see those for sale some times Don Johnson's 15 was one it just sold

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 08:17:38 AM »

Not to get too far off topic, but Trailways did run in Western Canada (BC) Not sure about other places. Here are pics of three Eagles I bought in 2006 when their "carrier" here went out of business. ....(Wish I still had them)

Cawston, British Columbia
blank

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 09:02:05 AM »

You could just move down here and the problem would be completely solved.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 10:19:13 AM »

So much for the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 12:39:07 PM »

So much for the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Does look kinda one sided dont it. We can get theirs, they wont allow ours.
busdriver58

Eagles Fan

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »

I sent you an email

Chihuahua, MX
1969 Eagle 05 8V92/Auto &
1964 Eagle 01 8V71/Std
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 05:11:27 PM »

Cerise, at the risk of sticking my nose in (beyond the information PM I sent you earlier), let me suggest another approach.  We bought our 4107 not long after we started looking.  While we got a good deal, bought it from a reputable dealer, did our due dilligence, had all the necessary repairs/maintenance done before we picked it up, we are now selling the coach.  My wife and I have both agreed that it was a good idea at the time, but in retrospect, we would have been better off keeping it on the future wish list.

Your inital post that indicated you have some time pressure worries me.  Many times that I've been under time pressure (especially self-induced), the result was not wonderful.  There's a saying that "The Good is the Enemy of the Best."

Perhaps I look at it this way because we (on the board) have seen quite a few folks buy buses, then get into trouble.  A couple of years ago, a guy bought a bus near Dallas, Texas, and was driving it back to Oregon.  He and his family were going to live in it (If I recall correctly), as he'd just become unemployed.  As it turns out, the bus had a major defect (someone had replaced the original engine fan with small electrics), and he broke down all the way across Texas, finally abandoning the bus (and the dream?) in El Paso.  I don't know what became of him, but I sure hope he survived that.  

I'd sure hate to see anyone else end up in a hole because of time/money/other pressure.  

As Russ would say "FWIW/HTH".

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 09:24:59 PM »

Luvrbus, Clifford, I knew Greyhound kept some if not all of the 15s they got during the transition. I knew they operated some of them in Western Canada. I don't know how they did it. Possibly they made an agreement with the frustrating nit pickers. Maybe it was a short term deal pending request from the manufacturer. Trailways had run Eagle into the ground and there was no "manufacturer" to request the Import Certificate.

It's almost midnight and I better stop before I offend someone.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 01:27:42 AM »

So, can a MCI be imported to Canada?  Do you like blue, I have a 83 MCI 9 for sale in Florida.
Kwajdiverbill@gmail.com

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 07:59:37 AM »

I have a '57 MCI Courier 96 for sale in Invermere, BC, really close to you. It is listed on Kijiji, Calgary. Look it up. Email me if you can't find it. jcalacoque at yahoo.com. 250-342-53 zero three.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »

Cerise,

I have a 4905 GMC converted has a 871 with 4 speed it has abt 65000 on a complete out of frame rebuild by Detroit Diesel. I have been using this the last 4 years and runs excellent average mpg is 8 mpg.

I have just started cancer treatment and it don't look good I would rather see this go to another bus nut instead of my kids trying to sell it after I'm gone from this world.

I only know of one problem and the onan gen runs but no output and was going to have dealer look at it it's a 5.5 marqui low profile and the rear roof top needs replaced. all else quite functional and usable I can take photo to send to you if any interest and it is the bus in my profile.

Sincerely
Larry Higuera
Quartzsite Arizona

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
abacusblack

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »

Because Transport Canada has whole buildings full of little pinhead dweebs who make stupid rules that impact Canadians in ways most people never realize exist let alone understand.

IOW - there's no reason - that's just the way it is.

That is precisely why I enjoy beating them with there own rules Smiley

As mentioned numerous times above pre 1971 buses are in fact the easiest to import. ( not requiring RIV involvement )

Others require thinking and the proper  paperwork, disclosures, long before appearing at the border crossing.

The inter provincial rules sometimes can be made to work to your advantage. Grin

Bob mentioned in another thread you are best to purchase a bus already converted and in Canada, since you want to be using your new purchase this spring you should listen to his good advise.

I have driven across the border crossing with the proper paper work a fully converted bus that had a classification # 8702.10.00 and a exemption # 9804.10  paying the dweebs $200.00 exemption fee and the GST.

To the above posts...

I`m glad you made it over with your Converted Coach. Here is what is making me hesitate. Yes I am considering a converted coach also but it seems that a seated bus is easier to import as long as it passes Safety Inspections.

After numerous in person discussions at my Canadian Border crossing location.  (Sumas WA)  and a return phone call from the customs office in Ottawa after a e mail inquiry I was officially informed that...a 1971 and prior converted  coach MUST also have PROOF that the conversion was ALSO done in 1971 from  a  existing professional converter. that means that the VIN # has to show RV or motorhome not BUS. The Customs official told me with a smile that he felt it was almost impossible to provide this proof. He claimed the reason for this rule was to stop " HOMEMADE camper buses" that were slapped together in someone`s yard from entering Canada and creating safety issues. The gentleman stated that it did not matter if the owner had registered the bus as an RV in the US.The Vin # had to originally as a Motorhome.

I mentioned that there were many converted coaches in BC and how did they manage to do it if it was impossible? He seriously advised me that it is possible to claim a bus conversion as a class A motor home and if it was registered as a motor home in the USA the employee at the border may not know the difference and allow it through. He advised that although this happens it is not legal. The legal responsibility is with the importer who must abide by the RIV import rules. The RIV chart says 1971 BUS! not CONVERTED Bus but if proof of conversion shows 1971 then it is admissible. So. if you tell the border employee you are importing a 1971 GMC Class a motorhome diesel pusher and he/she lets you through you have just falsified the classification of your Bus. Because that is what it is a Bus.
 This also effects your insurance registration. My ICBC agent told me there was no listing in the books for...GMC 4104 or Converted Bus. It had to be on the list. ie. Jaco,Winnebago ect.  I`m going to stop here because I have discussed this on other boards and was told ... LOOK!!! Don`t say the word BUS. Just say you have a class A RV and keep your big mouth closed. You are giving them too much info.

That`s fine but I want to buy ,import and insure a converted coach legally and like another poster said... I don1t want Transport Canada giving me 30 days to remove the bus from Canada or they pick it up. And if I am involved in an accident I want the adjuster to be able to find my exact converted coach model in a list that includes converted buses so that I am legally covered.
You NEVER beat the Government at their own game because they MAKE and can CHANGE  the rules. abacusblack
This information is all available through the RIV program and by calling Customs Canada and Transport Canada.  The problem is that it is not clear.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:11:53 AM by abacusblack » Logged

Brian...,Mission,British Columbia,Canada...( Vancouver area)
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »

Satchkatchewan Transportation ran new M-15's with SS sides.  Nice Eagles.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: