Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 06:48:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: someone with handheld in Murfreesboro,tn area  (Read 4619 times)
Charley Davidson

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »

my bus quit on me a few month back and had to have it towed back to my shop, I haven't bothered to fool with it as I don't travel anymore but I need to sell it now. I need someone to check the codes for me so I can figure out the problem.

I was low on fuel so I thought I ran out, got it running on veg oil and went & got fuel leaving it run while pumping fuel on veg oil, switched to diesel & it quit on me and wouldn't start again on either fuel or with ether.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »

Hi Ron, Welcome back!

The first thing that comes to mind is fuel filters. You may get your engine running and then after

shutting down, you may not restart if they are fairly clogged.

Second would be fuel lines. You may be sucking air somewhere.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
norules

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 03:44:48 PM »

loosen the clamp on the exhaust output of the turbo -
and move the pipe that leads to the muffler or catalytic converter out of the way
perhaps you have a clogged in the exhaust system

DDEC and error codes or not your engine should run on either
Charley Davidson

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 03:53:17 PM »

Thanks Nick

Catalytic converter? Man I wish this thing had one I'd probably get enough money outta that thing to pay off all my bills  Grin

The not firing on ether has got me concerned
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 05:31:55 PM »

Hard Headed Ken is close to you.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Charley Davidson

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »

Thanks Robert, I just checked his profile but no mention of where he lives, I'll just wait and see if he chimes in.
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »

Charley,
 I'm just up the road from you about 2 miles passed 840 on Murfreesboro Rd. I have most all the diagnostic software. Call me 615 210 4963

Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
5B Steve

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »

You mentioned you run it on WVO OR SVO?  I say this because if that oil isn't heated at least to 180 degrees before it is

injected you might have a severe carbon build up in the engine.  I hope that's not your case. Like everyone mentioned check

your filters!  Good Luck!

Steve 5B.......
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 05:20:40 AM »

If it doesn't run on ether, then it doesn't sound like a fuel delivery problem.  It should at least fire a few times after you squirt the fluid.  Are you spraying it close to the engine or is it a long distance through the breather to get to the engine?  Sometimes, if starting fluid has to travel a long way to get to the combustion chamber it looses its oomph.  Make sure that you are accessing somewhere close to the intake side of the engine and see if that helps.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
Charley Davidson

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 07:47:19 AM »

Squirting right in the air cleaner box with air filter out.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 07:54:17 AM »

If it doesn't run on ether, then it doesn't sound like a fuel delivery problem.  It should at least fire a few times after you squirt the fluid. 

I would second this, and add, that while you need to be very careful with starting fluid, you have to use enough to get it to fire, and enough more to get it to run momentarily. A little squirt as like what a lawnmower or weedeater would fire on, wont even pop in a giant diesel engine. Dont empty the can into it, but dont be afraid to give it a moderate squirt. If it was running okay and quit, it didnt suddenly hole all the pistons or stick all the valves open, so it should still run. And while a diesel wont flood, they can get pretty water logged with fuel after a lot of cranking and a lot of not firing. All that wet fuel sitting on the piston and wetting the chamber absorbs a lot of the heat needed to reach spontaneous combustion. When she finally lights she'll likely blow a lot of white smoke till she clears.

However, I would check that your engine shutdown butterfly is open. If its not you wont get any air into it, and it wont ever run or fire either one, no matter how much ether or fuel you pump into it.

I would caution however, if you have been spraying ether and come close to emtying a can in a short period of time with no results of firing, wait a long while for it to evaporate off and dissapate. Because if you sprayed it in there, its still in there, and it wont simply go away immediately. I saw a car get the hood blown off once and blow the guy to the curb with some good hair singe and burned his clothes from emtying a can of ether without allowing it to work. When it finally caught, it blew. Big diesels have reportedly exploded from simular situations. I dont like ether for all those reasons. A good engine thats getting fuel will start at very low temps without ether. You should beable to crack a line and watch while you crank it if its getting fuel. If it ran out, you could have pulled air that took a while to get to the Engine. Perhaps a reprime is in order.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 08:13:55 AM »

Charley, if a DDEC I disconnet the power and let it reset on the others check your power supply sometimes they blow the fuse when running out of fuel,not uncommon for one not to run on starting fluid if you are not getting any fuel are you getting any type smoke black or white they will blow black smoke a little when they need priming there is no shut down flapper on the DDEC 8v92

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 08:30:50 AM »

I'm far from a bus expert but know a lot about veggie systems as I have converted 2 Diesel Mercedes. This is what I think happened...

1. You did run out of diesel
2. You switched to veggie and got it running
3. When you switched back to diesel with fuel in the tank you still had a diesel fuel line full of air and still do
4. the either won't get it started with no diesel being injected.

I would suggest removing the fuel line that connects to the engine and use a brake job vacuum pump to pull diesel through until you get no air bubbles.

Good luck,

Paul.

P.S. I'm in the market for a bus and would love one already converted to veggie, what kind of bus do you have?
blank

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 08:58:05 AM »

4. the either won't get it started with no diesel being injected.

No, but it will keep it runniing as long as you keep squirting.
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 09:46:31 AM »

I still think there is no fuel at the IP. He's trying to use either to get running on diesel. It takes a hell of a lot of either to run a 12 litre engine when there is no other fuel source and if he is (rightfully) nervous about using too much it would explain things. It's a very easy thing to test.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: