Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 07:02:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storm!  (Read 6751 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 12:18:33 PM »

RJ,
I'd recommend they wait a day or two to retrieve the cars and then if necessary drop down to I-40 and shoot across to either Amarillo and shoot up US 287  or keep going to Albuquerque and up I-25.

They will have much better roads and when they get to CO or Albuquerque they will have the roads passable by then!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 12:45:02 PM »

Thanks-here in Los Angeles we've battened down the hatches to make sure we get through the sunny weather and 62 degree days.  I'll never understand those that choose to live where you get blizzards in winter, tornadoes, and summers with high heat and humidity.  But yoos makes yoos choices.  I'll put up with the traffic, occasional earth quake and the weirdos of L.A. any day.  Good Luck, TomC

And Tom, some of us like the Midwest, and that section north and south in the states, because we like a little bit of variety in our lives. Cold, snow, tornadoes, ice, heat, humidity....love it all (most of the time) Grin Grin Grin

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 01:02:52 PM »

RJ,

I second what BK said. When weather is involved, it can often be worth it to go the long route.

That being said, they have plenty of time to get to CO. That is only a two day drive from there, for me. However, if they are taking it easy, or have kids along, you could stretch it out into three days, I am sure. For now, I would suggest that they drive (if that is their plans to leave right away) until they hit bad weather. For example, they might have you keep an eye on the weather, and stop at a major city, or a nice hotel to wait the storm out. The storm won't last too long, and especially if they take the south route, they shouldn't have many issues anyways.

FWIW

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
scenicruiser997

Owner of two Scenicruisers and one PD4905 Buffalo

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 02:20:07 PM »

Earlier today, the Oklahoma Governor called up the National Guard, some 140 troops, to help rescue stranded motorist all along I-44 from Tulsa to the MO. State line as well as on the H.E. Bailey turnpike.
Snow is OK, but this storm packed allot more energy than out typical winter storm.  Look out East Coast, more to come.

Aaron
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »

BK & John -

Heard from my boy Eric.  They picked up the MINI at the port in NJ, and are headed to his sister-in-law's place in Maryland, where they'll wait out the storm in cozy comfort with family.

When the storm breaks (supposedly on Thurs), he's going to catch a train up to CT to pick up the M5, leaving wife & little one at her sister's until he gets back with the other car.

They're hoping the weather will break enough that they can leave on Monday (2/7/11), which will give them a whole week to get to Colorado Springs - Lord willin' 'n the creek don't rise!

Whew!

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2011, 03:45:09 PM »

RJ;
 We lived in Colorado Springs for 10 years. When they are settled in tell them to try Navajo Hogans for dinner on Nevada Blvd toward town. Casual and great food. Also Carrabases Italian!

Sorry had to go the the Post back now.

Anyway You better tell him to jack up both those cars for winter and put 4 wheel drives under them. Most places up there don't use chain they either use all wheel drive, 4 wheel drive, studded tires (only in winter and have to come of in the spring) or brave it as he will see on I-25 Ice-capades. Signs say speed Limit 75 MPH and they think it means all year???  I counted 14 cars flip on the freeway one morning.

Ice is a big thing up there everywhere. Out where he is going to the east in El Paso, County the wind blows very hard sometimes up to 70 MPH gusts down through the canyons and out across the plains, with lots of snow drifts up to 14 feet high sometimes in January and February.

Now, sales taxes are lower out there than in the city!!!

Snows a lot in the winter but it generally only lasts a day to a day and half then melts off then the sun comes out again. Springs are best to have Bar-B Ques, Summer it will Rain and or Hail almost everyday through August. Most days he can set his watch for 3:30PM and it will start and be gone by 5:00PM you laugh but trust me on this.

The West side as they call it is fun and interesting Manitou Springs lots to see and do Hiking, shops, Gem shops, food places, and pottery. Garden of the Gods is absolutely beautiful for site seeing , Hiking, walking, Bike riding Mountain or whatever.

Lots of Golf courses including the Broadmoore Hotel up on Cheyenne mountain, One I think still at Pete field which is another AFB, Castle Rock and 2 in the City which are public. Enjoy

Dave
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:51:01 PM by Dave5Cs » Logged

blank

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2011, 04:48:15 PM »

RJ,
I'd recommend they wait a day or two to retrieve the cars and then if necessary drop down to I-40 and shoot across to either Amarillo and shoot up US 287  or keep going to Albuquerque and up I-25.
Grin  BK  Grin

I would run south and pick up I-40 to Little Rock, head down 30 through DFW and floor it. OKC is virtually shut down and I would not want to try driving through that way, its not only bad west of Fort Smith, its bad west of OKC. 44 is closed, 70 in closed from St. Louis almost all the way across Kansas, havnt heard about 80 or 90 but they cant be good. West of Forth Smith I would not be surprised if I-40 is closed, or will be, as winds pick up and temps drop. Its not supposed to be above freezing for days west of here til Friday, but I wouldnt be surprised if its not til Sunday. Its getting much colder here (NWA) than was forcast up through noon today. Heads up, there is another storm getting forcast for Monday......

No one will forget this storm for quite a while.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:52:26 PM by artvonne » Logged
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 04:49:01 PM »

It may be cold part of the year, but there's nothing here that can kill me by sneaking up and biting me...

Poisonous beasties and freezing temps don't seem to go together!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2011, 04:50:55 PM »

It may be cold part of the year, but there's nothing here that can kill me by sneaking up and biting me...

Poisonous beasties and freezing temps don't seem to go together!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

LOL! Just drink the "anti-freeze" in moderation or it will sneak up & bite you! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2011, 05:19:38 PM »

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

I'll pass them on to Eric & Sarah when I next check in with them.

Dave -

So you're familiar with Schriever AFB?  I understand it's about 8 - 10 miles east of Colorado Springs?  My boy said something about finding housing in a small town that's north of the base, rather than face the rest of the commute traffic EB and WB on the main base road.  Make sense?

The M5 is his "fair weather" car, it's one of only 1200 or so 1988 BMW M5s imported to the States that year, and virtually perfectly restored.  It's never really seen winter, so there will be LOTS of cleanup taking place once they arrive in CO!  That one never went to Germany, it's been stored inside, but monitored the whole time.

The MINI is a 2010 Cooper S Clubman with the 180 hp turbo four coupled to a six-speed manual.  Eric can hardly pry Sarah's hands from the steering wheel - she loves the car!  That's the main daily driver, and with the front-wheel drive, should be OK in the snow, w/in reason.  Altho purchased in Germany, it's a US-spec car, and BMW included "free shipping" back to the States when they got transferred.  As I said before, it's got all-season tires on it, but he's also got another set of wheels for it being shipped with the furniture and other household goods.  (Including a ton of Germany-only BMW parts to sell to his US Beemer buddies!)

They also have two other vehicles - a 4x4 Jeep Cherokee and his 325 Beemer track car.  Obviously the Jeep will get a work out in the winter, and the track car is strictly that - a track car (altho it's legal on German roads, it won't pass smog here.)  These two the USAF shipped for them, both are coming in at a later date, not sure to where or when, supposedly they're in the same big container that their household goods are in, IIRC.

Anyway, will keep watching the weather, and all those of you east of the Rockies, I really appreciate your input!!

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2011, 05:44:43 PM »

RJ;
 Yes to the north of Shriever AFB whats the name of the town. Tell him Stay away from anything south and south east of the city not really good areas. South West side is good.

North Briargate is Ok across from AF Academy and Falcon Stadium. A little better is Black Forest area ( Where I built some Custom homes) is a little bigger homes in a foresty area. Now the further he gets away from the Base the worse the snow and ice commute will be out there. That's out in Cow country flat and cold. The city by now as moved out there (Its been 9 years since we moved back to California) but still have some friends up there. Monument, CO would probably be too far away in Winter. Everything is really pretty easy to get to but in winter a little loner drive time.

The farther away from Academy Blvd the better also.

If you or he needs any questions answered if I can help just e-mail me. I will PM you with my E-mail

Dave

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2011, 06:41:45 PM »

The sun came out here this afternoon and it got up to 10 degrees. I even forgot my coat at work!  Grin

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
LarryN 4106

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2011, 07:14:03 PM »

I blew mucho snow out of my driveway today......this storm....when it makes it to the east coast....will become news....but only at that time Grin.
JWallin

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 03:05:19 AM »

It's already news here. We didn't get much snow, but as I sit here now in our bus it's a balmy -18 outside. Happily, it's a balmy 77 inside.
zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2011, 06:33:44 AM »

It was all rain and 50-60 here yesterday.
Rain stopped before the temps dropped so no ice or snow.
Temp this morning was 24deg

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: