Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 11:23:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storm!  (Read 6841 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2011, 07:19:58 AM »

woke @ 6 to 25* and snowing! Don't this crap belong up NORTH someplace?
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2011, 07:22:29 PM »

Been some pretty incredible stories as well as photos on the storm, hope every one fairs well through this one. And my 5th grand daughter is due with in the week, and 3 thousand miles away!
 some great pics!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41367748/?GT1=43001

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2011, 08:37:16 PM »

We only got around 5" out of this storm.  We got hit Sunday night before the main brunt of the storm hit the rest of the nation.  5" is really not a big deal around here other than snarling traffic.  It only took me about 20 minutes longer to get to work Monday, but I left pretty early.

I've lived in Minnesota for 35 years total.  I have never seen a vehicle with tire chains actually installed here in Minnesota.  I don't even know where to buy a set of chains.  I always figured that if tire chains are necessary that I am staying parked.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
libby

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2011, 12:02:40 AM »

We have been missed by most of the bad weather, for some reason both this winter and last most of the storms tracked south of us, I love global warming so far.  We only have about 5 or 6 inches of snow on the ground where normally we would have around 2 to 3 feet, possibly more.  We have all 4 wheel drive vehicles here, we'll buy 4 snow tires for all around and have excellent traction the first winter, they wear down to good all season radials for the second winter and by the third winter they are fair to good all season radials and by october we'll have replaced them with new snow tires.  Snow chains are vary rare here, michigan used to allow studded tires for winter use and they were life savers on ice but have been banned for many years now because of the idea that they tear up roads, which I imagine they do to a certain extent, I would think the safety factor would greatly outweigh any threat of road damage tho.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2011, 08:15:06 AM »

Round 4?

I was up at 2 AM this morning, no snow. Woke up at 6 AM, we had about 4 inches. Its 4 hours later, we now have a strong 2 feet of snow at our house and its still snowing heavy. Some reports are saying 27 -30 inches in the Springdale/Lowell area, and western Benton county. I-540 is backed up from 412 for miles. People west of 540 are now reporting roof high snowdrifts. Warnings are going out for people to start watching for roof collapse. People stranded in cars are being warned to prepare to spend the night in their cars. A few hours ago people were laughing and thought this was was all pretty funny. It is rapidly becoming a very dangerous situation. Its forcast for winds to rise to 30 mph and temps to drop below zero by morning. This isnt Minnesota, people down here dont have mittens and Parkas and Sorells in their closets. They dont have snow plows and 4x4's in every driveway, and 100s of giant county plow trucks at their disposal to clear the roads...... I'm sure this will be National News tonight.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2011, 10:30:39 AM »

That is one thing I have noticed about southern states is the fact that they have little if any way of clearing the vast amount of roadways that they have compared to northern states. I live on an emergency route here in Nebraska and am only 7 blocks from my business. I haven't had a snow day for 10 years!!! Roll Eyes

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Red Rider
God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2011, 11:36:12 AM »

Maybe "Snowbirds" do have it figured out after all

Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2011, 11:40:19 AM »

Grin Grin Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Red Rider
God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2011, 11:49:55 AM »

Ed, how's full timing that MCI in Yuma going? It was a pleasure talking with you at the Quartzsite Rally.

Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885
blank

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »

That is one thing I have noticed about southern states is the fact that they have little if any way of clearing the vast amount of roadways that they have compared to northern states.

The folks up north think everyone in the south are hillbillies for not being able to deal with this stuff. But they dont take the time to consider the issue very far.  Its almost equivelent of thinking they need a plow truck in Hawaii or Key West. This storm broke a record that had stood since 1918.

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2011, 12:27:15 PM »

Mike, it is tough duty, but somebody has to do it. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »

All -

A quick update - my son, his wife and their 23-month old made it to Colorado Springs safely this afternoon.

They took I-70 from VA to CO, and timed their driving around the various squalls that came thru the area this week.

Whew!  Dad can relax now!

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
blank

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2011, 09:50:21 PM »

They took I-70 from VA to CO, and timed their driving around the various squalls that came thru the area this week.

Whew!  Dad can relax now!

Wink

Glad they made it safe. Amazing all the freeway closings and all these storms one right after another.

Have to say too, that for people who rarely have to deal with this stuff and really dont have the equipment that places up north have the luxury of, they get their heads together and help each other out on a level ive never known. It really looked like it was going to overwhelm them, but it didnt at all.

Only two minor accidents ive heard of, everyone unstuck and/or brought home, everyone high and dry. Could be 60F by saturday and most everyone figures this will all be gone and a bad memory by early next week. I said I would have to see it to believe it, but even the news said to take a picture, it will be gone before ya know it. All time record snowfall for this area.

Anymore coming??? Any more records we gotta break anywhere? Phoenix hasnt been dumped on yet, Miami would look funny with a foot of snow. How about Key West or Honalulu?? Spread the love.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2011, 01:19:20 AM »

It was Cold in Cali today too. 68 and no chill factor.

Dave

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
blank

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2011, 09:00:36 AM »

It was Cold in Cali today too. 68 and no chill factor.

Dave
I'd rather live in Antarctica. Nice weather in Cali is like the Devil with a smile.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: