Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 12:43:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radiator fan drive.  (Read 3977 times)
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2011, 08:06:54 AM »

Need a poll. I am installing a series 60 with a 4000 allison. The trans. has an aux. drive with pump already mounted for a cooling fan. I have heard good and bad about hyd. fans. Only other option is a right angle box with belt or shaft. Hyd. sure seems like a simple hook up and I have the most costly part there. Advise, opinions?
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:11:20 AM »

Two ways of doing a hydraulic fan. You can use two individual pumps-one for the power steering and one for the fan or you can use the same hydraulic pump that feeds the power steering that you install a priority valve so that the power steering gets the pressure when needed.  Hydraulics are much easier to install-mechanical gear/belt driven is less complicated and requires less horsepower to turn (hydraulics always have horsepower draws).  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:23:25 AM »

The engine already has a power sttering pump mounted on it. The trans. has a Sauer-danfoss pump mounted. The rep just left. It looks huge to me but he said that it was the typical for electronic fan drive. It has one hose app1" and one that looks to be 1.5-2" Just looked big to me!! I like the idea of a mech. drive. Seems like less problematic, but with the eagle it is a lot of work to do.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:30:58 AM »

Didn't the Eagles use a mechanical fan drive originally? If using a Series 60 then you could use the mechanical fan drive to power the radiator on the drivers side, and the air to air intercooler on the passenger side where the over the road A/C condensor used to be.  Good Luck, TomC

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:34:29 AM »

Eric buy your self a fan drive from a Prevost or a model 15 Eagle and belt drive the angle is at the top where the fan is located simple and easy way to do it plus it works all the time,if you need details on a 15 with a series 60 and the fan drive when I get home I can send those too you for the Prevost and Eagle both are about the same easy setup buddy 1 belt to deal with

good luck
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:43:01 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:40:55 AM »

Another way to look at it. . . .
Is your radiator fixed or mounted so it can swing out?
If it swings out, I'd definitely go with the hydraulic fan. If you mount the fan to the radiator, it will swing out of the way with the radiator. On mine, the radiator swings out, but the fan, gearbox & mounting are still in the way!

The hyd drive may use more hp than a gear driven setup, but I don't think you're gonna miss a couple hp with that new engine!

Also, it's a lot easier to run a few hoses than to mount a gearbox & connecting drive. . . .

If you decide to not use that pump on your transmission, I know a guy that could probably use it to cool off a 8V92 . . . . .  Roll Eyes

If you use that pump, make sure you get the right motor to work with it. Jon (NewbeeMC9) should be able to help with that.  Cool

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:41:51 AM »

I noticed on the eagle 15 that Wayne Schell is building that he put a gear box with a shaft drive up to the fan right angle. Is that what you are talking about?
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 08:43:50 AM »

Even if your radiator swings out for engine access, I would use the mechanical drive.  How long does it take to unbolt the fan to get access to the engine?  Good Luck, TomC

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »

Thats it Eric maybe one of the guys could post a photo for you

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 08:49:12 AM »

Even if your radiator swings out for engine access, I would use the mechanical drive.  How long does it take to unbolt the fan to get access to the engine?  Good Luck, TomC
On a scenicruiser, it takes a while & those parts are heavy too.

(the fan unbolts easy enough, but the support pedestal & gearbox are in the way too.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:52:51 AM by kyle4501 » Logged

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 09:46:49 AM »

Unfourtantly I do not have a swing out radiator. I looked at the setup on one at goodson bus. It was gona be a lot of work. But then if you break a belt you bust be good at standing on your head while replacing it!!LOL
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 11:07:10 AM »

Unfourtantly I do not have a swing out radiator. . . .

The S60 is longer, so I'm assuming that's why the stock drive won't work.

Well then, use an MCI fan belt & drive that stock fan like a lawnmower deck!
Belt life will be fine if the proper diameter pulleys are used.
Should be a simple matter of mounting shafts for the direction change idler pulleys, fan spindle, & a tensioner.  Grin  Shocked

OR - what about fabricating a shroud from the radiator to a centrifugal blower fan that can be belt driven directly from the motor? Those centrifugal fans are more efficient than the axial fans, so that would reduce hp losses.  Cool

OR, you could just use electric fans.    Wink 

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 11:09:51 AM »

The right angle fan drive in the bus is fine. I would need to add a right angle box in the corner. Eagle used the mitre box to move power outboard to the fan and bus air. Withthe series 60 the is not enough room for any of that. Where is the best place to find a box?
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »

Havent heard of anyone using electric fans. Would probably take about a 60 hp motor!!LOL
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 11:22:03 AM »

Havent heard of anyone using electric fans. Would probably take about a 60 hp motor!!LOL
Only when you're at max power output of the S60. But, that is when you need it most!

The right angle fan drive in the bus is fine. I would need to add a right angle box in the corner. Eagle used the mitre box to move power outboard to the fan and bus air. Withthe series 60 the is not enough room for any of that. Where is the best place to find a box?
I can tell you that you probably do not want a Scenicruiser box!
Like Clifford said earlier, some Prevo models had a nice setup, Pat McNeil used one on his big red scenicruiser.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: