Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 08:08:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wheels  (Read 1578 times)
tekebird

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2006, 01:53:53 PM »

Anyone have an idea what wheel sandblasting and painting costs now days.

Last I looked new steel wheels were 50.00.....phone call to check last week suprised me with 100.00 each.

prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 02:22:21 PM »

For about $79 you can get a small sandblaster (assuming you already have a compressor). I have been in the "tool buy" mode rather than "pay someone to do it" mode and in the end I have spent less money by far, and still have the tools to show for it.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
TomNPat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 03:36:26 PM »

Realize it's a long ways from you, but Les Schwab Tire Centers in the Northwest charge $33 to sandblast and powdercoat in a variety of colors.  That's the route we're going to go.

TomNPat
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 03:58:41 PM »

Good Post!, I've been kicking around what to do with my wheels.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

bigtim44

Red buses go faster!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 06:41:17 PM »

I've been pondering this topic also,How much does a set of used Alcoa's go for?.then how much for a set of simulators?Or a cardboard ring and a few rattle cans to freshen up the steel rims I have now. Grin

Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 06:51:42 PM »

I got mine done for 18 each, some place in Buffalo NY.  A local tire shop deals with them, and they pickup and return. I plan on putting under alum on the rear so I base clear coated also.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Connel
Eagle 05 w/Ser60 & HD4060PR

Day Eagle landed & before total rebuild.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 07:00:48 PM »

Used Alcoa's run about $150-$200 each in AZ & OK when you can find them. The stud piloted are getting harder & harder to find because all later model and new trucks come with hub piloted wheels.  Az salvage yards price the stud piloted for $125-$175 but, there is a long waiting list for them.  New Alcoa's are $300 plus each.

Have not priced steel wheels or simulators.

Connel

Central Oklahoma

Refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 06:30:44 AM »

Ok, heres what I've personally found recently locally! I can get used Aluminum's (stud pilot) for $150 (sometimes I have to pay shipping or wait while), or Dad had a guy sandblast a stell one for us charged us $50.00 (left it bare no paint, primer or anything), or a buddy of ours tells me he just bought some brnd new steel wheels from the I-H dealer here in town for $69.00 ea! Well I'm not into simulators on a charter bus (I think they're fine for a conversion, if that's what ya like!) But personally I'm an ex-chicken haulin' left lane trucker, and I gotta have aluminum to make me happy (Dad used to tell me "Son that Chrome won't get ya home!" & I'd tell him "No but I'll look good sitt'n on the side of the road! LOL!") But ask dad to give up those shiney freightliner cut out alum's we put on his bus! I'll bet ya $ he won't do it! LOL!  In my opinion if I was gonna stay with steel wheels and they needed "blasted" I'd go to the dealer and buy new ones as cheap as they are these days ! I know they we're always this cheap as in the past I've paid over $150 for one, but I've been told that the demand for them now days is so low they are cheap!  FWIW BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 09:28:23 AM »

Hello

Buy new rims, and trade/sell yours with the tires still on to reduce your ongoing tire costs.

Busnuts don't wear out tires, they age them out.

Get some return on your investment by selling them before they are worthless.
Buying rims, takes the labour and PITA costs out of swapping your tires for someone elses.

Where is the big market? Owner Operator truckers.

Find a guy or gal who runs a truck, buy the tires they run, and make the plans for which year you are going to swap. Don't forget the local truck driving school. Schools go through tires like crazy.

The trucker is going to swap tires a time or two between your involvment, so a fresh set of rims every so many times might be just as appealing to them as to you.

We gotta try to keep the costs down, so we can buy more fuel!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Brill-o

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 11:25:06 AM »

Gents’

I think I can add (finally) something –

When I had my Freightliner dump, my rims would be knocked about quite a bit from stones and rubble.

I found that the local Goodyear dealer offered a program, which entails swapping out your old rims for a set off pre-cleaned and powder-coated wheels they exchanged with the wheel refurbishing Co. they dealt with.

The only additional charge was the mount/remounting-

The cost was $30 per wheel. This is the best I could find without buying new hub-piloted wheels. It might be worth a look..

Just my Shilling’s worth… Smiley

Cheers..

Mind the Gap!
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 04:41:54 PM »

TOM Y,  could you give me a little more info? I'm sitting here in the Buffalo area and will be here for another month. Are they cleaning/sand blasting, powder coatingfor that price?

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: