Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 18, 2014, 11:34:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus towing  (Read 6451 times)
brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 06:00:47 AM »

Or you could just buy this--

http://asheville.craigslist.org/bfs/2197050825.html

I'd be glad to go look at it for you. Grin Grin

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 07:49:11 AM »

I have first hand experience at bus towing all wheels down.  I also refer to this as "My stupid human trick."  My brother in law has a fishbowl that was having cooling issues that he thought he had fixed.  So he enlisted my help for a test drive.  We were only going about 100 miles or so round trip.  The bus ran fine on the way down but started to overheat shortly after we turned around.  My brother in law decides that he doesn't want to pay a tow bill so he calls a buddy that has "something to get us home."  The guy shows with a bobtail Freightliner and some chains.  The bus temp is ok at idle but overheats up under load so I have air.  The guy hooks up the chains and tells me to hang on.  Now this may have been ok on back roads since it was only about 40 miles home but we were on the side of the interstate.  When I started to reason (think argue) with everyone about the safety of this, my BIL tells me that the rubber bumper on the front is one of those 5 mph impact bumper.  We made it back safely but it was a white knuckle experience for me.  Would I do it again?  Not a chance, that's what towing insurance is for.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
blank

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 10:56:31 AM »

The guy shows with a bobtail Freightliner and some chains.  When I started to reason (think argue) with everyone about the safety of this, my BIL tells me that the rubber bumper on the front is one of those 5 mph impact bumper. 

I can not even begin to explain how dangerous chains are for towing. And when people start acting like idiots, get out and walk away from them. The life you save could be your own. If I were going to tow a Bus behind a big truck, I would use a BIG rope. The truck pulls the Bus, the Bus stops the truck. I would never do it. I only know one person that I would trust being in any towed vehicle on a rope, and he knows he belongs there and i belong in the tow vehicle. But a Bus on rope? No way. A tow bar, or a wrecker, but not a rope. Maybe for a block or two, but otherwise forget it. Its insane on far too many levels

johns4104

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »

1000 miles

PD4104-1859
In Sunny Arizona
Apache Junction Near Phoenix
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 04:46:52 PM »

Way back I read that CA would only allow you to tow with a chain if the chain was threaded through a big pipe and that had to be 8 or 10 foot or some such in length.  I remember making a technical comment something like "Holy Crap, are they serious?". 

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: