Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 08:43:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cash baby!!!!  (Read 9963 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2011, 02:42:17 PM »

Might have finally found our bus.  The guy wants cold hard green cash dollars upon delivery.  Kind of a fun question here, but what precautions would you take in transporting a large amount of money?...  How many of you would just be too nervous to do it? What would be the limit of how much you would be willing to have in cash in your possession?

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 02:49:30 PM »

i would meet at a police station. i would cary no more than $50,000 cash but i would have my 9 in my pants.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »

Marc.. I carried cash and had it hid in my P/U in a place that would be hard to find unless you worked for the Border Patrol. If I were you, I would hide the cash in your vehicle somewhere and not get it out until you felt comfortable with the person you are dealing with or comfortable with the surroundings. Also, never meet anyone with cash that you haven't talked with by phone first, and call them again before you leave to make sure it is still a working number. Most crooks even though are stupid, will most likely not be stupid enough to give you their phone number with plans to rob you. Good Luck!!!

Jimmy
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:58:11 PM by Highway Yacht » Logged

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
fredcliff
Cliff Maus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »

I took a bank check when I went to Florida to buy mine. Once deal was agreed on we went to seller bank were he cashed it and gave me back the difference.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 03:11:55 PM »

Marc,

I have carried very large amounts of money to purchase vehicles.

I would meet somewhere public. Have him bring the bus to a Walmart parking lot. I have purchased vehicles from bank parking lots and WM parking lots. I would also suggest hiding the money. However, if he wants to steal it, it won't be that hard to do. I won't give suggestions, but when you are there, he has a significant power of persuasion, if so equipped. More of the issue is making sure he is legit. Ask for some specific pictures of the bus (aka, the drivers area, the engine compartment etc) to make the the pictures look like they match.

Go with your gut. Take the bus for a test drive, but stick to the public roads. When you do, leave your money in the car, of course. Just make sure the money is hidden.

FWIW

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 03:14:14 PM »

Dangerous way to do business (don't ask how I know  Roll Eyes ) Check everything out and if it all adds up, go to the  bank (pre-arrange this) and exchange $$ and documentation right there - preferably in company of a bank officer (acts as protection and gives you a witness). Cash is great, but once it's gone it's GONE.

Or he might settle for travelers checks?

Or is this just an over abundance of caution?

Hope you love your bus as much as I love mine Smiley.

Nellie
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:16:54 PM by Nellie Wilson » Logged

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:16:59 PM »

I have met the gentleman and seen the bus in the barn he built for it.  He is close to 80 years old.  I think I can take him... Grin Grin Grin

But seriously, not worried about this situation, just curious as to how much money others have had on them and how they dealt with it.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
travlinman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 03:28:33 PM »

I would not sweat it, I sold my class B this fall and we did the deal in cash. I just put the $$$ in my pack and tossed it behind the seat. Remember, you know you have it no one else does. However, I was in Santa Barbra. If I was in Compton or south central LA I certainly would have felt differently. I would be more concerned about how much $$$ I withdrew from the bank at any one time. Above I think 25K triggers federal reporting requirements by the Bank. I always like to keep them out of the picture when ever possible.

Enjoy your new Bus,

TM

Steve & Kristen Full time nomads since '06 - PD4106-674  8V71/V730
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 03:38:25 PM »

Well I didn't get to drive it today because the grass was too wet near where it was parked.  I did bring some cash with me... and my .357 magnum.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 03:51:57 PM »

10 grand sets the off alarms at the bank IRS know the minute you take it out,banks warn you about taking cashiers checks they are easy to forge crooks love to give you those.
If you have trouble carrying cash ask him about a wire transfer but I don't see a problem he is probably going to nervous taking that much cash.
The guy that bought my bus I told him it was a cash deal but I was talking about a transfer not Mr Hamilton when he gave me cash I asked what the hell he told me you said cash lol  

good luck enjoy the new ride

Life is short drink the good wine first
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 03:54:13 PM »

I would not sweat it, I sold my class B this fall and we did the deal in cash. I just put the $$$ in my pack and tossed it behind the seat. Remember, you know you have it no one else does. However, I was in Santa Barbra. If I was in Compton or south central LA I certainly would have felt differently. I would be more concerned about how much $$$ I withdrew from the bank at any one time. Above I think 25K triggers federal reporting requirements by the Bank. I always like to keep them out of the picture when ever possible.

Enjoy your new Bus,

TM

10K is the trigger. Don't ask how I know. Also, it is against the law to take out money in smaller than 10K increments to avoid the trigger.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »

Clear title no liens!! before any money

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
dougyes

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 04:02:47 PM »

Bring a trusted friend.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »

At the risk of causing thread drift I can't resist posting this.  I used to be the president of our local exhibition/summer fair.  The midway gave us a cut out of their total take that typically amounted to 13-15,000.  They would pay us out the last night of the fair after the gates were closed while the carnies were tearing down the midway.  The mother of the family that owned the midway would deliver the cash, in an envelope, in her purse to me in the fair office at 2 or 3:00 AM.  And then I would make a very nervous trip to the night deposit at the local credit union.  I always assumed she was armed but I know I never was and it was Canada after all so she may not have been either.  She was/is a tough old bird - I wouldn't want to try to take her.  Probably the best advice for taking big cash is "yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil cuz I'm the meanest SOB in the valley".

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »

I've carried up to 125k in an old paper bag sitting in the front seat with the car unlocked  Cheesy

Get the VIN # and check to see no liens or title issues and that it is issued in seller's name - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: