Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 07:39:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: turning up the old cummins 262 nhht  (Read 3899 times)
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 07:11:45 AM »

I've got the 220 in my Crown.  Same engine I think...but if you'rs is a 262 you're already souped up a bit...
As far as I can tell, Henry's right- for any more horsepower Cummins drilled out a second oil gallery that fed squirters that douse the backside of the pistons with oil so they keep cool.  If you don't have these, it's probably wiser to just leave things alone.
If your turbo is actually putting any more pressure on the intake manifold that say 5-7 psi, you may already have a souped up engine, and the 262 implies that to me. The stock 220 version can handle 5-7psi boost as a "smoke turbo" that keeps you from making smoke and loosing horsepower at altitudes... any more psi than that it would have been used to create more horsepower and if that's the case you may already have the squirters. So you may want to put a boost guage on and take it up a hill to see- that'd be my first check...

And the best guy for making any changes west of the Rockies is still Don Fairchild in Bakersfield. He knows this engine as well as anyone.  Otherwise most of the old farts that were gurus on these are dead or retired. At least that's been my experience...
Cheers
boogie
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 07:13:35 AM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Jackling54

1954' crown supercoach

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 07:30:43 AM »

Boggie my block tag has 220 stamped,then they stamped a line thru it. I know that the engin was rebuilt at cummins dealer.. Mabey the proper up grades were done?? Not sure of that,any way of telling??
Also boggie thanks for the roof rise picture and info, just finishing up a 13" lift on my 54'.. Fun stuff

"I'd rather people hate me for who I am than love me for who I am not" - Kurt Cobain
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: