Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 09:22:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mercedes 300 Series Toad?  (Read 2628 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 10:00:48 PM »

I'm a little leery of the logic that says something is safe because "ain't nittin happened yet". Doesn't seem that much different than saying Russian roulette is safe because notthing happens to 5 out of 6 players.  Wink

Kyle....Sweetheart....5 experts including two fact reps told me that the trans would not suffer.  I have logged 10 K miles without incedent.  At what point have I passed from the "ain't nutt'n happened yet" into "this should prove the point?

Guess I'm to nosey & want to know how the machinery deals with the conditions.

I suppose that IF you had the essentials monitored so that you would know if it overheated, lost oil pressure, shifted out of neutral (think road debris hitting the linkage - I know how it feels when that happens  Shocked ), etc. . .  that would be little different than actually driving the car.

My point exactly.

As for me pulling a toad, I'll probably try to avoid it & try to plan ahead & rent a car when needed. The $$$ spent on 'brake buddies', tow bars, driveline disconnects, wear & tear on toad, reduced maneuverability, etc currently outweigh the benefits of having a toad. But, that's just me.

For my money, the more money I had the more I would invest in a toad and trailer.  I love my truck and I want it "right outside."  to quote a country song.  And the coach would probably be a Newell.

It would be a very different thing if I was full timming or needed the extra storage space a toad could provide.

I hope to be full timing in a year if my eye clears up and I get new knees.  Toad is important to me.

I think we are pretty much on the same page.

What I miss is that nobody has come on line and said that they use this method also.  I know they are out there.

Be well and happy Amigo

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 11:02:49 PM »

This may sound strange, but the Ramco driveline disconnect for the 123 series 1984 Mercedes 300 turbodiesel, like I have, will work on the sedan, but not on the wagon.  Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 02:08:36 AM »

Kyle,

It is a habit when getting parts at the MB dealer to have the series number. Maybe its a German thing. Sorry to "mother" you on that !!
You have me beat by miles on the bus knowledge..

Never seen the Mother movie  , like most, as I never watch the current movies.

Have a great day.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:13:37 AM by Gary '79 5C » Logged

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
divinerightstrip

1990 Le Mirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 04:33:29 AM »

My friend and I once towed a MB 300CD on a tow dolly behind his diesel VW. While on the highway, we heard a weird noise, but the car was still there, so we didn't worry. When we parked to grab some dinner, we turned the VW off to hear something still running.... the MB had (for lack of a better term) tow-started!!

Awesome cars. I just sold my 300D w123 with 318k miles on her. Their value doesn't depreciate after a certain point. Gotta love 'em!

The Bus Girl
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 08:03:58 AM »

I guess that VW wasn't going fast enough for the 300CD!  Shocked Grin
I do love 'em!

I've had 5 of the mid 80's 300SD turbo diesels, a few 420SELs & even a 300TDT wagon. But that has been almost 10 years ago, now I have a 98 ML320 & a 99 C280.
Just added a 98 BMW540i, Man, what a difference in design philosophy! The germans do know how to tame the road tho. . .  Grin

I do miss the simplicity of the maintenance on the mid 80s MB diesels. Glow plugs & filters were 95% of all you ever needed.  Cool
The newer computer cars are great until something goes wrong . . . .

RE: What determines "this should prove the point?" - For me, several million documented miles covering different users & environmental conditions would go a long way towards proof.  Wink

Hey Gary, "Mr. Mom" was released in 1983  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Mom  So, it may be on the oldies by now.  Grin
I get my MB parts from a dealer in California (Al in the parts dept at Caliber Motors ) - I order then by 3 their time & FedEx delivers them to my door the next day. (after shipping, it is still less than list)
I've tried to use the local dealer, but they insist on charging way over list & I have had to wait over 2 weeks for what should have been a stock item.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
travlinman

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 07:56:23 AM »

Just followed up with Remco, it is possible to tow the 300tdt wagon. But the disconnect would have to be custom made and it is not cheap. Looks like we will just use the Toyota.

TM

Steve & Kristen Full time nomads since '06 - PD4106-674  8V71/V730
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 06:14:08 AM »

Travlinman   how did you come by this moniker? Just curious  Rod

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: