Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 08:31:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FAST IDLE DOES NOT ENGAGE  (Read 4727 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 01:39:03 PM »

You guys are a little hard on Rich his problems sound like a broken spring on the discharge valve allowing the air to return to the compressor you don't here that leak but either way he needs it fixed 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 04:36:47 PM »

Howdy Luvrbus -

Where's this discharge valve located? That's a new one on me, and I'd sure like to know (for future reference).

BTW, sure don't mean to be 'hard on Rich' and I'll bet nobody else does either. He seems a good guy with a legit problem, but he's new to this forum thing. I'd guess the comments are just well intended guidance... not to help us, but to help him.

Just my two-bits, FWIW.

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 04:59:37 PM »

Notice I said a little hard Nellie lol anyway the discharge valve is on the bottom of the head on the compressor they have a head like a engine the valve builds up with carbon and will break the spring or won't close then the air go back through the compressor those inline check valves don't hold all that great.

good luck
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:16:12 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »

Gus, when my governor started acting up, it would not build air past about 30 lbs. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 10:15:31 PM »

Clifford are the "discharge" valve and "unloader" valve the same thing just called by different names?
Otherwise I have to say I have yet another thing form you! (doesn't surprise me either!)

I have never heard of it called a discharge valve, but am familiar w/what I was taught were "unloader" valves.

If not I'll have to learn more about them. And if so, I'll agree that I too have had problems with them. But it seems that ALMOST everytime I suggest they might be the problem to someone else it turns out I am wrong and most times it does in fact turn out to be the governor. (such as in Nellie's case where no matter how we adjusted it it just would not co-operate with us and led me to believe it was something else as "the governor had just been replaced" Wink )
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 11:15:50 PM »

Hey BK!

How ya doin? Sorry I missed you at Arcadia this year (undertand you were there?).

Like you, curious about this 'discharge' thingy Luvrbus (guess that's Clifford?) mentioned. Not sure it's the same as the unloader valve? Mine's on top of the head and Luvrbus talks about the bottom of the head. But these buses have sooo many bits and pieces, can't sort them all out. Still trying, but I sure envy all the knowledge on this board.

Speaking of unloader valves, mine's still in the box... and I hope it gets to just stay there. Smiley

Be headed your way (if winter ever ends) and wondered if still possible to hang out awhile? My ol' gal needs TLC and impossible to do it here... very 'fru-fru' joint (it's really not, but they act like it is). Huh

Yak soon... maybe a PM?

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 06:38:44 AM »

BK, they are different the unloader valves on top of the head works on the intake side and the discharge valve is under the head works on the compression side

good luck

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 06:42:46 AM »

Clifford thanks. Looks like I better go out and tear apart the spare down in the shop and learn how it works before I need to know by experience Wink !
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 06:53:26 AM »

Nellie,
Sorry but no I didn't get to make it to Arcadia this yr. Had problems come up @ the last minute and wasn't able to go.

And yes "Luvrbus" is aka "Clifford" and by far one of the most knowledgeable busnuts hear on the board! Knows everything about Eagle's and quite a bit about the rest of them too. (not to mention he knows most Eagles and who owns or did own them!)

Super great guy to have around sharing his knowledge with us "young'ns" Wink!

Glad to hear you have a spare to keep the unloader from giving you troubles. LOL

Hey if ya get up this way swing on in. We ain't got the 15 acres anymore, but we manage and have a nice "new to us" shop still.

PM anytime here or FB!
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 08:14:24 AM »

BK -

Sorry you missed 'A' but makes me feel better. Couple guys said you showed, that I just missed you (no wonder Smiley.

Seeing as you're experimenting on a spare comp., mind coming back on this 'discharge valve' thing? I can't see much on mine (you've seen my tight setup). Maybe another part we should all carry around?

I'll send a PM.

Thanks Clifford (pardon my familiarity). After that plug by BK, I'll pay more attention to what you say!  Wink

Nellie

coloradorich

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 01:31:45 PM »

I appreciate all of the information. Am currently in Walsenburg Colorado and it is now 4 degrees with two foot snowdrifts around bus. Will let you all know what I find when weather permits.

" Downhill Flyer Gravity is our Friend "
coloradorich

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 01:40:13 PM »

Forgot on my last. It is Rich in name only. Also when I rev to 95 lbs th fast idle works just fine. When I stop for fuel it only looses air if fast idle is turned off. If left on air stays up. My wife thinks the fast idle uses too much fuel. My Maintenance Manual has poor pictures and some diagrams are unreadable. Does anyone have decent prints of the air system or know where they can be obtained..  Thanks.

" Downhill Flyer Gravity is our Friend "
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 04:19:59 PM »

Stay warm Rich. The coldest temp I ever endured in the bus was 32 degrees out and it was in Florida of all places!!!! I thought last winter was one to remember. This year is topping that!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 06:23:16 PM »

Rich, we are in Evergreen, Co and we can relate to the cold and snow.  Our bus in inside, but the shop is not heated.

You certainly have a lot of things to look at based on some good input.

One of the best suggestions is to plumb in an auxiliary compressor (120V).  That will do a couple of things.  First, it will sort out if this is an engine compressor issue (unloader/governor/etc.) and second, it will allow you to check for leaks without running the engine. 

A quick way to make a auxiliary connection  is to pull a  plug from the wet tank (first tank after the dryer/compressor) and plumb in an industrial female quick connect.  You will have to make a special connection on the aux. hose, so that it has a mating male connector. 

The method I prefer is to pull the plug and install a check valve and plum a male quick connect into that.  That way you can use the standard air hose.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 08:48:41 PM »

Rich –

Ain’t wives grand?  Smiley Seriously, the fast idle doesn’t use more fuel. It may burn more fuel but it wastes less. And it serves several purposes: It (1) keeps the engine warm (many positives right there) which (2) prevents flooding the cylinders with unburned fuel and (3) diluting the oil. Plus – according to some – it provides sufficient revs to actuate the alternator (but mine seems to need more). And, as you already know, it keeps the bus aired up.

Most important, it keeps the bus warm on cold nights. Grin

Hey, Chop, I spent nearly two days broke down in minus 30 F.  I’d spent all summer filling my tank, 5 gallons at a time, and used it all up (didn’t dare shut down) sitting 100 miles down the road. Could’a cried (pretty sure I did). Cry But I did stay warm.

Jim, couldn’t you just air into the schraeder valve in back? Be a lot easier to reach. Just askin’.

Nellie
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:51:10 PM by Nellie Wilson » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: