Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 26, 2014, 04:15:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Son's Scenicruiser adventure  (Read 9422 times)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 03:47:24 AM »

Very cool indeed. I'm curious about the legality though - do vehicles there not need to have a roadworthiness certificate of some sort? Unfortunately such an adventure here would result in a ruined bank account and driving licence from all the ANPR cameras you'd passed on the way home.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 04:06:41 AM »

looks like that bus needs a good "douche"....... where in Vermont dose it reside?

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 06:05:28 AM »

looks like that bus needs a good "douche"....... where in Vermont dose it reside?

I was literally amazed when they dropped the batteries in it and it fired up.  That blew me away, I caught myself thinking, as they were installing the batteries .... "This dawg aint gonna hunt." ... But it started.

Man-Man, learn something everyday huh?

BCO

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 06:33:01 AM »

Excellent report!

as long as the engine is left alone, with all the parts in place....

Might not be pretty, but give it a spin, and off it goes.

Yes, Jeremy, the reason many from the old sod come running back there after a visit to North America, it is still the wild west.

Most everything commercial still comes out the factory gate with DRUM brakes!

Be afraid, be very afraid, get back to the airport, never to return...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 06:38:11 AM »

Excellent report!

as long as the engine is left alone, with all the parts in place....

Might not be pretty, but give it a spin, and off it goes.

Yes, Jeremy, the reason many from the old sod come running back there after a visit to North America, it is still the wild west.

Most everything commercial still comes out the factory gate with DRUM brakes!

Be afraid, be very afraid, get back to the airport, never to return...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

BW,
While I agree about it still being a wild west. Not everything commercial still comes from the factory with drum breaks. My '95 Setra's have disc on the front and my '05's are disc all the way around.
Opps I'm sorry they were made in Europe not the US or Canada Wink (sorry couldn't resist)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 06:46:50 AM »

Shh, don't tell him that the buses have lots of disc brakes, or word will spread and they'll start coming over here in droves again....

Of course, MCI, Prevost, Van Hool and the rest have lots of disc brake options for many years now, but not because they have to...

Braking standards and maintenance in North America, even the newest ones, are embarrassing, or dangerous, compared to Europe.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 06:50:56 AM »

I was thinking the same thing about legality, so honest question here - just trying to gain knowledge and understanding of our neighbours...

How does one legally run a bus like that with broken windshields, etc, on the road?   Now, it wasn't mentioned in the videos so I have no idea, but presumably no license plate, no insurance, no road worthiness inspection, etc?  Is there a way to do that?  Here in Ontario we can get a temporary vehicle permit, but you need to have a safety inspection certificate and proof of insurance, and the vehicle has to be registered in your name.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 06:57:22 AM »

Dealer plate carries insurance with it here in Ontario.

Popular way of rescuing wayward vehicles here.

As to the nitty gritty details as to the condition of the vehicle...

ain't no good way.

At the absolute minimum, be insured so that any mishaps may be made good on.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

mike802

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 07:00:48 AM »

do vehicles there not need to have a roadworthiness certificate of some sort?
The guys looked into it and apparently they had 15 or 30 days something like that to get it registered and inspected.  They did have all the paperwork, bill of sale, title and insurance, they got pulled over in Mississippi, showed the cops all the paperwork and were allowed to continue on their way. Would have been cool to have gotten that on the video, but I guess they did not want to get tazed on the side of the road LOL.

I think that bus will look a whole lot better after he gets the inside gutted and cleaned.  Right now the bus is in Alabama, if the clutch had held up it would not surprise me if he had tried to drive it to Vermont.  Guess he will have to get it fixed before it comes up north, we are centrally located in Vermont in Rutland county.

I must have been a bad influence on him, guess that's what happens when you hang around a bunch of old hoods LOL.  I actually have a phobia of being stuck beside the road, but for Nick, I think that's the best part.
Jackling54

1954' crown supercoach

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 07:05:03 AM »

Just wondering what this was purchased for??
what are they worth?? Theirs one sitting down the road .been there for along time..

"I'd rather people hate me for who I am than love me for who I am not" - Kurt Cobain
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 09:05:55 AM »

What are they worth? That is a loaded question for sure. It all depends on what a seller wants to get & a buyer is willing to give.
I've had 4 given to me - they didn't want them scrapped, but didn't want to pay storage either. . . . I also paid ~$10,000 for one that ended up being worse than one of the 'free' ones.

One of mine had sat for almost 5 years. We put 2 car batteries in it and checked the water & oil. We hit the starter & it fired right off! We couldn't believe it. But that motor fires off on the first revolution of the crank. Too bad the rest of it isn't as nice.  Shocked

Towing one isn't cheap - $4.00+ per loaded mile will get you close to the minimum you should expect to pay. Most tow services charge by the hour the truck is away from the shop.

I liked their attitude towards fixing stuff - just get in there & do it!

I hope they have fun with the project!
BTW, there is a guy that is having the curved glass made in Mexico - so the upper & lower windshields & teardrop windows are now available at reasonable pricing. I believe he is also getting the rear glass made too.

Checkout the yahoo groups :

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Scenicruiserdepot/

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Scenicruiser21/

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
pd4501-771
Tom McNally

PD4501-771 "All 43 seats.....still a bus !"

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 10:19:25 AM »

Mike

Please send congrats to your son Nick. I have talked to Rob before, but I do believe I know your son (yet). This bus PD4501-855 has been for sale for a while and has been in danger of the scrap heap. Glad to see another one saved. I keep a surviving scenicruiser owner registry. Could you send me Nick's contact info so I can update my registry. Please tell Nick and Rob about this years Scenicruiser gathering being held at Grand Canyon Caverns, AZ. May 13-15, 2011. Even if they can't bring a bus, it's a great chance to meet like-minded fools, and talk Scenics ! I loved the videos. Take care.

Tom McNally
Peoria, IL.
tbonemcnally@hotmail.com

PD4501-771
PD4501-1001
PD4104-3462
PD3751-686

If you know of the whereabouts of a PD4501 Scenicruiser - I would like to add the serial number to my registry of surviving Scenics.  www.tomsgarageonline.com
pd4501-771
Tom McNally

PD4501-771 "All 43 seats.....still a bus !"

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 10:26:22 AM »

Just wondering what this was purchased for??
what are they worth?? Theirs one sitting down the road .been there for along time..

Could you do me a favor and send me the info on this Scenic you speak about ? The last thing I need right now is another bus, (already have three too many)  just looking to update my Scenicruiser registry. There is a good chance I already have it on my list, but you never know. Every so often, a new one pops up. Contact info, serial number, location & photos would really be appreciated. Thanks much.

Tom McNally
Peoria, IL.
tbonemcnally@hotmail.com

PD4501-771
PD4501-1001
PD4104-3462
PD3751-686

If you know of the whereabouts of a PD4501 Scenicruiser - I would like to add the serial number to my registry of surviving Scenics.  www.tomsgarageonline.com
mike802

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 12:34:23 PM »

Mike

Please send congrats to your son Nick. I have talked to Rob before, but I do believe I know your son (yet). This bus PD4501-855 has been for sale for a while and has been in danger of the scrap heap. Glad to see another one saved. I keep a surviving scenicruiser owner registry. Could you send me Nick's contact info so I can update my registry. Please tell Nick and Rob about this years Scenicruiser gathering being held at Grand Canyon Caverns, AZ. May 13-15, 2011. Even if they can't bring a bus, it's a great chance to meet like-minded fools, and talk Scenics ! I loved the videos. Take care.

Thanks Tom:  Nick is not home for the next couple of days, but I will relay the into to him and let him know about your registry, I am sure he would love to be added.

Kyle4501:Thanks for the links, and as you can see in the video he is going to need lots of glass! Shocked
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:37:10 PM by mike802 » Logged
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 01:19:04 PM »

. . . . he is going to need lots of glass! Shocked
Don't we all!  Grin

The view going down the road looking thru the upper windshields is awesome! I hope Nick & Rob can get their's useable again.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: