Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 11:14:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Son's Scenicruiser adventure  (Read 9481 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »

How does one legally run a bus like that with broken windshields, etc, on the road?

In VA you can get a trip permit and it can be done on-line. Just need prof of ownership if you get pulled. My brother who lives in MD goes on-line and gets them from AZ for $1. No proof of residency required.

Restricted Use 3-Day Permit - AZ

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
mike802

1983 MCI MC9

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 07:12:57 AM »

Just wondering what this was purchased for??
He is not home for me to ask right now, but I think it was somewhere around three grand.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 09:55:31 AM »

How does one legally run a bus like that with broken windshields, etc, on the road? Brian

Huh Its legal here as long as its not right in front of you. It wouldnt be for a commercial vehicle, but for your own use. I didnt see any glaring issue that needed state police to get involved in.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 01:13:18 PM »

How does one legally run a bus like that with broken windshields, etc, on the road? Brian

Huh Its legal here as long as its not right in front of you. It wouldnt be for a commercial vehicle, but for your own use. I didnt see any glaring issue that needed state police to get involved in.

It's a glaring issue for me - both screen are clearly cracked across their whole area.

And would a vehicle of that age even be fitted with safely glass? If not the consequences of driving with the screens in that condition don't bear thinking about.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 01:23:06 PM »

It's a glaring issue for me - both screen are clearly cracked across their whole area.

And would a vehicle of that age even be fitted with safely glass? If not the consequences of driving with the screens in that condition don't bear thinking about.

Jeremy

I put my faith in the free man to decide for himself. Ive driven in raging snow storms that covered the glass with ice so fast the defroster couldnt deal with it, and which occluded and disrupted the visability far worse than those cracks. Seriously, that picture is worth a thousand words, I can see the road quite clearly enough to herd that beast down the road. 
rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 01:26:18 PM »

They're not really cracks, honest they look like spider webbs!

Boyce

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 01:50:01 PM »

I put my faith in the free man to decide for himself. Ive driven in raging snow storms that covered the glass with ice so fast the defroster couldnt deal with it, and which occluded and disrupted the visability far worse than those cracks. Seriously, that picture is worth a thousand words, I can see the road quite clearly enough to herd that beast down the road. 

But that surely is to COMPLETELY miss the point.

It's not about you - its about your responsibility to other road users

Good grief.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »

It's not about you -its about your responsibility to other road users

Good grief.

Jeremy

Lets agree to disagree. I have a lmuch, much bigger problem with drunks and incompetants in nice cars and trucks with nice shiney clean windshields. My hats off to these guys, we need many more like them, and I would proudly share the road with them any day.

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 05:19:11 PM »

Jeremy

Glad to see someone raise the flag of caution. Risky to be sure, but that's not the riskiest part of the trip as far as I'm concerned. Additionally, that front windshield is shorter than almost any other buss. It is also curved which also helps add strength. Those guys seemed well prepared, I'm sure they would have been smart enough to replace the windshield with 'lexan' if the glass wasn't up for the trip.

BTW, yes, the windshields are safety glass which is actually 2 pieces of glass with a layer of tough plastic between them.

I have some broken glass like that on some of mine, but it is only one glass that is broken. I beat on the windshield pretty hard before I had the bus towed & it felt solid. Yep, it made the trip without any further damage.

So, it was safe enough as evidenced by the fact it was still in the bus when the tow truck left.
I can't say if it will make another trip as I haven't seen it in person.
I can say that if I was driving that, I'd definitely be wearing safety glasses!   Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »

So, Jeremy, you see where my comments regarding the European/North American divide come from?

Just put the clock back about 50 years on your side of the Atlantic, you'll be fine.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 06:34:49 PM »

Back when the Scenicruisers were in Greyhound service the old cruisers operated trips with small cracks in the windshields.
As long as it did not obscure the drivers vision.
Note:I said small cracks!
jlv
blank

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 09:33:30 PM »

I am sure the original poster, who was simply being a proud dad, is now wishing he hadnt posted anything.

I dont believe anyone here is saying that windshield is okay to run around with. The point of the whole thing is two guys were able to salvage the thing and get it running good enough to get it down the road a ways.

The difference between this land and any other, this side of the pond or the other, 50 years one way or the other, is we decided long ago to run our country as individuals, rather than have a form of government that dictates. Its changed a lot, we are sadly becoming less individuals and less free to make decisions, and more often reliant of the gonvernment to tell us what to do and how high to jump. Its all pretty confusing. You send your kids to school where they are told we are free, then slam them the first chance we get for not dotting every i and crossing every t.

Thankfully there are still a few young individuals around who didnt get the memo that they were helpless to do anything or to think for themselves. And its sad that more dont jump to their defense.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 12:52:27 AM »

Each to his own viewpoint, but I think turning it into a discussion about 'freedom' and 'being an individual' is to deliberately sidestep the issues of 'responsibility' and 'having a duty to others'.

Perhaps a drunk driver is just being an individual? After all, if he thinks he's safe, who is anyone else to tell him otherwise?

It's all very macho to "run our country as individuals, rather than have a form of government that dictates". But this is the 21st Century, where people are supposed to act as though they are part of a civilized society, not cowboys in the Wild West. Societies require rules, and members with the moral courage to follow them - even if they think they know better.

---------

Apologies for going way off topic with this little rant. And - seriously - apologies if this comes across as a criticism of the original story, which is actually not what it is meant to be at all. For what it's worth I completely admire those guys too, and also wish there were more people like them - and from the sound of it they had done their research and were fully legal.

Jeremy

rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 02:14:53 AM »

Ya'll showed a lot of ingenuity and git er done talent getting that bus going. You really made me want to get busy working on mine again. We lost mom and dad within  weeks of each other before Christmas, and it really let the wind out of my sails. I loved seeing ya'll in action in the videos, and can't wait for some follow up news on this Scenicruiser.

Boyce

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2011, 03:48:52 AM »

This was an interesting thread when it was about Scenic-cruisers.

Now it is just another yawner.

BCO

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: