Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 08:46:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuck for the first time  (Read 4259 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 07:08:41 AM »

fwiw this can be done by a decent tire jockey with the wheel still on the bus, but the inner run up on a block.  A big sledge and some tire irons to get it off the bead.  If you want a workout try it yourself!

wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »

Hello Zub,  I believe I will leave it to the experts and just hang around a while.  Believe it or not the first job I had out of TSTI (Diesel mechanic school) was working in Austin as a street sweeper mechanic.  That translates into-the sweepers were always getting flats.  To the tune of about 4 a night.  I had the mechanic truck and when they got a flat you could bet it was going to be the inside tire.  While I fired up the compressor the workers would get under the truck and jack it up.  About he time they were getting it high enough I had that 1 inch impact wrench going at it.  The workers were then getting a good tire off my truck as I slammed it back on with the impact wrench.  They would take off and I would stay behind fixing that tire.  We used split ring and tubes.  I would patch the tube and put it back it and air it up.  Load it on the truck and catch up with the sweepers just in time to, you got it, fix another tire.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »

BK, what's the difference between regular Schrader cores and cores for tires like ours?   I have plenty of cores from Schrader bicycle tubes (bike tires can sometimes exceed bus/truck tires' pressures) which work for 100-plus PSI without a problem.   Should I buy something different, or will these work OK as replacements?   I always keep a few cores and a CalVan 4-way tool in my car "just in case".

Thanks, John
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:35:39 PM by Iceni John » Logged

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 09:33:34 PM »

Oops, sorry, double posted.

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 06:54:29 AM »

BK, what's the difference between regular Schrader cores and cores for tires like ours?   I have plenty of cores from Schrader bicycle tubes (bike tires can sometimes exceed bus/truck tires' pressures) which work for 100-plus PSI without a problem.   Should I buy something different, or will these work OK as replacements?   I always keep a few cores and a CalVan 4-way tool in my car "just in case".

Thanks, John

John,
I honestly don't know the difference between the 2. Could be a tougher spring, better quality material, different type of seal. Really I just don't know.

But I do know two things.

#1) I have had valve core problems in the past and just used "what I had laying around" and had repeat problems.
And then one day @ the tire shop I said something about having quite a few core problems lately and the owner went in the shop and grabbed a box (1/2 empty w/top 1/2 tore off) of cores and gave them to me. And said "here do yourself a favor and REPLACE all cores on ANY tires that we haven't serviced for you! These are heavy duty cores and it's all we use!"

#2) I learned that if you tell a FNG he didn't read the post right he will go off on you and proceed to tell you how much more "world experience he has than everyone else on this board!"  (and can't even get my name right! IT'S BK not BN DICK!)

Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 07:38:55 AM »

BK,
Thanks for your advice.   I'll ask ABC Bus for some good ones.
John

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 12:53:56 PM »

BK got his first kill and didn't even mean to. Some have all the luck! I tried on several and they just dug their heels in and became valued contributors on the BCM board.

Dick, I can see how not knowing how BK works might have given the impression of a slap even though the intention wasn't to do that. Our numbers are to small to have someone chased off, and we want you to feel welcomed and valued. Keep posting and glad to have you here.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 02:42:52 AM »

Geez, BN,  Roll Eyes why must you sugarcoat everything?  Wink

Hey, how'd you guys know this "FNG" is named "DICK." I don't see any name in his profile (or am I missing stuff too?).

Sorry, back to the topic: As mentioned (near beginning of thread), my outside rear went nearly flat. Started to inflate but it leaked from the valve. I twisted the core (with one of those little core tools) and the leak stopped. Then I re-filled the tire. Been quite awhile and it's holding air just fine.

Trouble is, I didn't squirt to determine exactly where it was leaking. My Dumb! So now that it's not leaking, how do I find the 'leak'? Or am I worried for nothing? (Wouldn't be the first time... I'm so paranoid about any little thing that goes wrong...)

Hey, Dick (or whatever?), c'mon back. I'm the biggest screw-up you can imagine... and most of these guys even talk to me. Shocked  As someone said, it's a flat medium and tongue-in-cheek Tongue comments (and such) are hard to discern. Plus BN is notoriously picky about his name. Grin

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 05:37:33 AM »

Hello Nellie,  It sounds to me like you found the leak.  THe valve core just needed to be tightened.

Oh and how come you don't have your bus info in the sig so we know what kind of bus your driving.

www.snakebreaker.com
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2011, 09:48:15 AM »

I am new to buses, I am NOT new to mechanics. I was earning a living as a professional mechanic before BN was born. I spent most of my Navy time as a trouble shooter,electrical and mechanical, in a rating that is basically automotive. I have worked on more kinds of autos both foreign and domestic than many of you have even heard of, if you want the list I can probably come up with one. Many without manuals or any kind of book at all. I have been crew chief on both IMSA and SCCA race cars.

I joined this forum because I like to do a lot of research on anything I undertake, and to get ideas, I also thought that I might be able to add something once in a while.

BN is probably a very nice guy, I have no idea, and wouldn't be able to tell from the above exchange.

Dick

Nellie,
The above direct quote is where I got his name was Dick. (honestly I would not just call him one without a reason Wink)

And your one of the few that I'll allow to change my name knowingly!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 09:50:20 AM »

Wink

www.snakebreaker.com
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 11:30:59 AM »

BK,

Well said and long over due.

You have more patience than I and that, of course, is a good thing.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 11:51:49 AM »

BK -

Just as suspected, I missed the obvious (again).

As to your follow-up comments,  Roll Eyes and  Wink respectively.

Wal - That makes me feel better; I'd hate to pull a wheel only to confirm nothing's wrong ('course I'd rather be safe than sorry, too). As for the missing info, my oversight. I'll get that done.

Thanks to both.

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: