Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 17, 2014, 06:24:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lightning strike J4500  (Read 3818 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2011, 06:35:51 PM »

Lightning strike on 2003 J4500.  They have replaced computers and got running but went on first trip and quit on them. It is parked behind their shop as they have spent about all they want to find the problem. No visual damage.  Can be bought 1/2 market value. Ideas? or run fast!   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:47:14 PM »

Those are nice buses Bob but if it has the CAN electrical system I would run those are a nightmare

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:51:07 PM »

probably why they want $95 Grand.

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 07:21:18 PM »

$95 Grand? I thought you said they would settle for half value!
If that's the case it's worth about $30 Grand - 1/2 = $15,000 !
Seriously someone is going to be married to that baby better to part it out and cut the losses! Or pick it up for like I say around $15,000 rip everything out and start with a new non-stock system no CAN wiring or fancy smancy crap just bare bones understandable pre 2010 engine / trans combo and do away with standard factory headache systems like OTR, Computer control AIR-RIDE and all that crap that is problem prone in the first place.

Then you can have a nice modern looking but still serviceable coach!
Grin  BK  Grin
Bob please tell me our mutual friend didn't get suckered into buying it in that condition!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:26:06 PM »

no. Just heard about it from a driver friend this am. Was under impression list was around 250 for it.  85,000   miles.I don't need no more elect detective work. I didn't tell Sean about it.   Bob

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 07:37:04 PM »

OK well honestly if it was in perfect condition ready to be able to put in service it'd be worth about $225,000 in PERFECT condition retail price.

In fair condition about $175-200,000
and wholesale bad condition $50,000

But with what it is now it's worse than a wholesale bus and quite frankly in my opinion worse than a basket case! (who knows what is fried and what ain't and you talk'n serious $ to rip out and replace EVERYTHING electrical from components to wiring harness! Not to mention hrs & hrs of pure bus hating headaches!
Grin  BK  Grin
And please don't tell Sean about it he'd think it was a steal! And he already has his hands full refurbishing the H3-45 they had just got when I was up last!

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 08:52:07 PM »

J model computer air ride?

I thought that was the E model?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 09:02:46 PM »

What's a J4500? What's a CAN electrical system? Not interested, just curious.

Nellie

PS. What's $225,000?

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
blank

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 09:46:02 PM »

If they spent a bunch of money and now decided to bail, you can bet they saw/found something nasty. My guess is it burned wiring which created a short, and possibly destroyed the entire electrical harness and quite possibly most if not all electrical parts and equipment. I would walk into it like an engine fire, bid accordingly, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I dont know about an MCI, but on a GMC the harness is behind the walls and ceiling. And in any case I doubt you can buy one.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 10:00:10 PM »

Quote from: buswarrior
J model computer air ride?

I thought that was the E model?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

BW you might be right! The J model is the one MCI I never done any work too except changed belts on beside the HWY one night about 3AM and then found out the fan drive box was locked up and what caused it to throw them in the first place! (but did get to take send the passengers to IA w/driver! Wink)
Grin  BK  Grin

Quote from: Nellie Wilson
What's a J4500? What's a CAN electrical system? Not interested, just curious.

Nellie

PS. What's $225,000?

Nellie your right you don't even wanna be interested in it!
A CAN electrical system is a complicated wiring set up that runs many signals through the same wires for different functions and very difficult to diagnose & repair when they have problems. (almost all the modern buses have them even SETRA and I hate them, but ya either play ball or go home when ya try'n to survive in the biz!)

And $225,000.00 is about $25,000.00 shy of what we have paid in payments on the 2 - 2005 Setra S427's we bought 2 yrs ago and still owe 6 more years on them.
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 10:36:19 PM »

Just for comparison this bus has been on the market for over a yr and is supposed to be in excellent shape! Of course the price has come down from what I first saw it @ then too! (nad he was offering free shipping @ onetime if it sold for like $350,000 Wink)
Grin  BK  Grin

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-MCI-E4500-Motorcoach-Bus-sale-LOW-MILES-/320650963360?pt=Buses&hash=item4aa84969a0
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:39:03 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 10:46:45 PM »

Or this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-MCI-E4500-Renaissance-Tour-Coach-Bus-1-Owner-NICE-/230577597704?pt=Buses&hash=item35af7eed08

Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 10:48:44 PM »

58 seats?!?!?!?

And in the middle of the Pacific Ocean...

And trade for a nice D model???

I think the seller might be motivated...

I LOVE to drive a Renaissance, but keeping all the wheels pointing in the same direction and the electronics all speaking friendly to one another...

Ok, BK, let's go halves on it!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 11:10:01 PM »

Geez Louise, BK -

That's a lot of bread! And you don't even look rich. Smiley Why do they make this CAN thing? Sounds just awful to work on. 'Course, for me, a marker light is high science.

Thanks for the info.

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 05:09:43 AM »

Nellie, CAN systems have been around for several decades.  All electronic engines use this technology.  It is standardized by SAE (J1708 and J1939).  DDEC I was the first CAN system (not a good system- was done before SAE standardized). 

It is very reliable.  Any Diesel tech today can work on them.  Lots of debate about mechanical engines vs computer engines, but the fact is that mechanical engines are a dying breed.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: