Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 04:34:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Poll
Question: Fuel line replacement
Fuel line repair - 0 (0%)
Fuel line problem - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel line replacement  (Read 773 times)
eagle10

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2006, 06:52:43 AM »

It seems I have a slight leak in the fuel lines on the top of my 6v92T. One line comes from the front fuel  filter over to the top right side of the engine. The other shorter one seems to connect to the same area on the right side of the engine and goes to the left on the top of the engine. It looks like I need to drain down the coolant and remove a couple of hoses if I attempt the repair from the back. I may try to go down through the floor panel.
Questions? 1. Which is the best repair route?
                2. Will I lose the fuel prime and will it be difficult to restart?
Thanks for any information.

Eagle 10 1984
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 07:47:08 AM »

I just replaced the fuel line that connects the left bank to the right bank.  It has power steering pump style connectors and can easily be made by NAPA.  Mine cost $27 to have made up.  Yes, you need to remove the cross over coolant tube in order to get to the fittings.  I also had to remove the right bank thermostat housing and lower housing that has the coolant temperature sensors in it to be able to get my wrench on the right side fitting.  If you have some specially bent wrenches you may not need to do the complete removal of the coolant housings.  Yes, you will lose the prime.  Not a big deal for me as I took the opportunity to add an electric fuel pump in my supply side of the fuel system to electrically prime the system.  I just finished hooking it in last night and have not yet had time to test start the engine, but sounded like it primed the system after about 5 minutes of running.  If you don't manually reprime the engine or use an electric fuel pump to prime the engine it will not start.  These 2 stroke detroit diesels are not self-priming.
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 11:55:17 AM »

Brian: Take the plug out of your secondary fuel filter fuel filter and see if your electric pump is pumping fuel into it. As I explained to Chuck in a previous thread,  if you engine fuel pump is in good condition, you should not be able to push fuel through it unless it is turning. The engine fuel pump is between the the first filter (strainer) and the secondary filter. It sucks fuel through the strainer and pushes it through the filter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: