Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 09:04:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where can I find a TravelLav ?  (Read 3498 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2011, 05:08:50 PM »

I saw this in the pictures linked to a post concerning how to sell a coach.

Anyone know where I can get one? It would go well with my 50's theme for my conversion.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:10:48 PM by kyle4501 » Logged

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 05:09:32 PM »

Another pic

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
scotty_vince

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »

Yes, I agree.......that is way cool!
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 05:42:30 PM »

Maybe look at boat part sites, I had one in my houseboat.
Ray D
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 07:54:35 PM »

Way cool Dude, let us know when you find it.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
scenicruiser997

Owner of two Scenicruisers and one PD4905 Buffalo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 09:02:33 PM »

Was that a Custom Coach conversion?  If so Maybe you can contact them, and see if they can pull the supplier that they bought them from.  Aaron

Aaron
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 01:19:27 AM »

Looks a lot like what we all rip out. Cheesy

Actually, wanted to keep my original Lav, just for the retro look.  This 'TravelLav' thing looks a much better solution. Good luck finding it.

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 03:05:43 AM »

Navy surplus - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 05:58:17 AM »

I will try to find the link later today, but there is a railroad salvage yard that sells those.  They are used in Pullman sleeper cars, way cool.

Chuckd
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 10:00:56 AM »

Had a 21' motorhome in the 80's that had the fold up sink and toilet in it, although they were fibreglass.

Cawston, British Columbia
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 12:25:18 PM »

Here's something a bit similar from these people: http://www.trinitymarine.co.uk/

There are various plastic equivalents available as well, but I guess you know that.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 12:55:33 PM »

These guys may have it if not they probably know where to get one - HTH

http://www.omrparts.com/index.asp

Not to highjack your thread - but I've seen several of types of these - nifty idea and easy to do - FWIW

http://www.toystoreinc.com/servlet/the-3919/Toilet-Lid-Sink-Combo/Detail

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 07:01:36 PM »

That OMRparts is a cool site!  Cool
Thanks for the link!

We're getting closer.  Grin

Pixelhead

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »

What you're looking for is known as TravelLav and was designed by Angelo Colanna back in the early 1950's. If you do a google patent search, you can find the original design documents.

I was very interested in this system and was planning on using it in my conversion until I learned that my girlfriend wasn't into showering where she does other activities.

In my research, I learned that these were possibly used in some rail cars (although I've never actually seen one in that application) and they were used in almost all Flxible bus conversions that were performed by the Custom Coach company (which is still in business in Columbus, OH). From what I can tell, Custom Coach actually bought out the company when they were going out of biz, but didn't do much with the assets of the company. I've talked to Kerwin Elmers, who is one of the founders of Custom Coach and they didn't have any available.

It is available in two versions, one with a drop down sink and one with a fixed sink. Here are shots of the fixed sink version:

I have located one of the fixed sink versions that I could purchase at a reasonable price. I'm not quite willing to let go of it yet since the layout of my coach hasn't been finalized and it's what I'd really like to use. If you're not in a hurry and can wait 6-8 months, then I'll know if I'm willing to give up the one that I know of.

Here's a few shots of another one:

The second shot is looking straight up from below and the next is looking horizontally from below the unit.

In general, look for any Custom Coach Flxible bus conversions and you'll most likely find a TravelLav.

I have a friend who owns one and he said it was prone to clogging... but he has an old bus and hasn't taken apart the whole thing and cleaned it or had anything sand blasted, etc. I'm assuming they'd work great if properly maintained since Custom Coach used them for so many years... I'd think they would have given up on that system if they were not reliable.

Let me know if you're really committed to finding one and then I'll send you what I know and any known sources... although you might have to buy a whole bus just to get the toilet you desire.

-Ben
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »

Ben, that info would be awesome to have!
I move kinda slow on this bus conversion trail. I've been collecting parts for several years, so another 6 to 8 months is no problem.

I'd rather not have to buy a whole bus to get one, but, if that is what I have to do . . . I've done worse.

I really want to have 2 baths in my coach, so that is the perfect thing for the second bath. Won't be used all the time, but will allow a full second bath at a fraction of the space.

THANKS!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: