Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 01:23:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Busted at RV Pump in AZ  (Read 4792 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2011, 07:05:10 AM »

I knew was a matter of time but Sat I saw 2 people busted for fueling at the RV pump in Phoenix saving 8 cents a gallon is going to cost those two one was a MCI bus with 3 axles they let a MCI 5 slide just waved him on but got a 40ft Monaco with 3 axles also, just a warning guys better stay under 26,000 lbs and 2 axles or the man will get you now in AZ.
The 2 Canadians were not happy campers the one with the MCI 9 mouthed off and told the patrolman he had been doing it for years and it was never a problem before bet that helped his cause as you could hear him all over the parking lot  lol
All my years living in AZ that was the first time I ever saw that happen signs of the times I presume all about the revenue  

good luck
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:12:06 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 07:08:25 AM »

Were these converted buses? Rod

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 07:11:37 AM »

Hey Clifford, if it is two axles and it is tagged "RV" how can they enforce this?  Sounds like another case of permit nazi's to me.  RV pumps take too long to fill anyway, and I believe the cash price is the lowest price (at the flyin hooker where I usually purchase fuel), so you could get around this by simply paying cash for the fuel, right?

BCO
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:14:35 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

fredcliff
Cliff Maus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:14:47 AM »

I don't understand
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 07:19:10 AM »

All over the pumps Don" Do Not Dispense" over 26,000 lbs, 2 axles or mobile fuel tanks I have done it for years being I hate the nasty truck islands and Rod they were converted coaches

good luck

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:23:24 AM »

Fred, in AZ they sell fuel for trucks which have the road tax in AZ the RV's don't pay the road tax it has always been 26,000 lbs or 2 axles now they are enforcing it even some of the stations now show the truck price and if you meet the requirements they change it to the RV price I was at a Shell Station that was setup that way  

good luck
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:27:33 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:39:09 AM »

We are planning a trip next year from Florida to San Francisco.  It is a long distance out of the way to avoid Arizona, but you can bet I will find it.  Nary a nickle from me in that state.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 07:53:31 AM »

You're going to drive hundreds of miles extra to avoid an extra 8 cents a gallon in tax?  Most of us have large enough tanks to drive all the way through Arizona without fueling and thus won't pay anything to Arizona.

Arizona's normal tax on fuel is 18 cents.  They charge 26 cents on diesel but passenger vehicles, some RVs, and certain other vehicles are charged the 18 cents rate.  If you're over 26,000 lbs or over 2 axles you pay the 26 cents rate.

I'll probably never get to Arizona, but I certainly would not avoid the state.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 07:59:06 AM »

Len,

391 miles through AZ on I-10, just fill up in NM. Grin

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 08:30:11 AM »

Not a problem with AZ just people cannot read the break was given for people visiting our state abide by the law that what some of you preach here and fwiw I fueled in Phoenix cost me 3.18 a gal with the 8 cents off plus another 10 cents for using my Shell credit card bypass AZ but it is law and they have not enforced it for years that fuel is for pickups,trucks under 26,000 gross, cars and RV's under 26,000 pretty clear on AZ's part to me what other state gives RV's a break not Oregon for sure they charge you a extra .25 per gal for RV use

good luck

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 08:37:32 AM »

Regardless of use, heavier than 26000 will impact the roads more than under that, so pay we will.

That's the trouble with exemptions, folks start to think they are entitled, and then "the man" will slap back.

Check those trucker oriented fuel station guides, they usually have all the road taxes broken down in them, so you can decide where geographically to fuel, as well as using which islands.

I like the big hose at the truck island, 20 minutes to fuel the coach with the little hose is time better spent doing something else. But, whatever I have to do to get the less expensive price, I gotta do.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 08:59:31 AM »

I usually fill up in New Mexico or Mexico when driving through AZ but if I need fuel I use the truck pumps never knew there was that big a difference in the price at the pumps

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 09:10:21 AM »

The last time I weighed my 5a, it was over 27,000#.  I'm sure that it has lost a lot of weight since then since it has more pep.  I guess I will call it a nominal 25,000# now.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 09:29:09 AM »

The last time I weighed my 5a, it was over 27,000#.  I'm sure that it has lost a lot of weight since then since it has more pep.  I guess I will call it a nominal 25,000# now.

I would not be telling to many this. I live in NV now and I am not sure of their laws on this here but do know that in  Montana you would only be allowed 26500 LBS depending on the tire width on a single Axel.

John
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:25:28 PM by Jriddle » Logged

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 10:26:39 AM »

Do they put you on the scales? I can carry enough water and fuel to put me over. I do carry a scale printout of my weight empty and am under 25k. Another reason to keep my 4106.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »

BarnOwl I think the 3 axles sets the alarm off myself JMHO that is the only 2 they got 

good luck

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 10:32:19 AM »

All over the pumps Don" Do Not Dispense" over 26,000 lbs, 2 axles or mobile fuel tanks I have done it for years being I hate the nasty truck islands and Rod they were converted coaches

good luck

Now-Now Clifford, you know that Okies cannot read.  (We had one that could, but Missouri kidnapped him to make him a school teacher)  Never knew it was on the pump and that is for sure.  I do carry an extra pair of tennis shoes for the nasty truck islands, it is a great idea.  I once saw a trucker empty a porta-potty into a 50 gallon trashcan at a truckstop, and believe me, that gives a totally new meaning to "nasty."

If I am caught ... I will give the Okie defense .... "Uh, I didn't know."

BCO

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »

When I drove my bus home when I bought it I stopped in Indiana to buy fuel at Flying J.  I went inside and asked the clerk if I could buy taxed fuel at the truck island.  She said yes so I went and filled up.  I saw another clerk to pay and she had a fit that I had bought fuel without an IFTA number.  She said there was no way to charge me the tax and she made me fill out and sign some form.  I thought I might get a bill from the state or something, but nothing.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
somewhereinusa

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 12:29:40 PM »

Is that 26,500 actual weight or GVW? If it is actual, do they weigh you or just say"That looks like over 26,000 lbs?
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 01:22:33 PM »

Is that 26,500 actual weight or GVW? If it is actual, do they weigh you or just say"That looks like over 26,000 lbs?

They are looking at the GVWR. At least, that has been the case everywhere that I have seen.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Dan C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 03:29:57 PM »

It does not matter how much you weigh when you get there, the only thing that counts is the
GVW stamped on the VIN plate. If your GVW is more than 26,000 pounds or you have 3 or more
axles, do not use the RV pumps in AZ. But if you do have a GVW of less than 26,000 pounds and
only 2 axles, go on and use the RV pump.
Lin, when you pass through AZ (do not go around) and you do not fill up every container that
you have (at any price), you will wish that you did when you see the prices in California.

Dan
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 04:46:39 PM »

Thanks Dan, but I live in California.  I usually think of AZ fuel prices as cheaper anyway.  I wonder if there is still a GVW stamp in the 5a.  I will have to look around.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Depewtee

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 05:16:52 PM »

When I drove my bus home when I bought it I stopped in Indiana to buy fuel at Flying J.  I went inside and asked the clerk if I could buy taxed fuel at the truck island.  She said yes so I went and filled up.  I saw another clerk to pay and she had a fit that I had bought fuel without an IFTA number.  She said there was no way to charge me the tax and she made me fill out and sign some form.  I thought I might get a bill from the state or something, but nothing.

I prefer pumping at the truck pumps as it is much faster, but the two times I have done it I have had very strange looks from the cashiers as well.  What is the protocol for fueling at the truck islands?  Pull up to the pump, go inside and pay cash, and go back out and pump?  Both times they have asked me for the name of my trucking company.

Brian S.

Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 05:39:04 PM »

I wonder if there is still a GVW stamp in the 5a.

I was wondering if a GVW was ever stamped in a 4106.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »

I always fill up at the truck pumps anyway so obviously I never ran into a problem with the 3 axles, and didn't realize there was even an issue.  I do however go inside to pay cash and always tell them "non-commercial".  They always give me the .08 off the truck price (in AZ).  I never realized there was the issue of 26k or 2 axles.  I never lied though, I am non-commercial.   Grin Grin  But I suppose now that I know the facts, I can't get by with it anymore.  Ignorance is no excuse.  I will pay the .08 from now on.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 06:40:19 PM »

Nobody going to fool the revenuers.

two axles adds up to 32 000 lbs.

See you in court.

And then it's "Where's the next tax evader?"

Best to know the rules, not the lax practices, for the jurisdictions we travel into.

This is far from over, from this foreign vantage point.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 06:44:47 PM »

When I fill up I tell them It's a bus and it"s and RV I still get a reduced price and besides I wiegh 34,000 empty. Never had any issues Grin

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
Jackling54

1954' crown supercoach

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 07:30:21 PM »

California fill up today...$$$ 3.79 $$$  per gallon...That hurts  Cry

"I'd rather people hate me for who I am than love me for who I am not" - Kurt Cobain
RoyJ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »

California fill up today...$$$ 3.79 $$$  per gallon...That hurts  Cry

Come up here to BC to ease your pain Grin

If I can find diesel for 3.79 I'd bring a 12,000 gallon tanker with me!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 04:02:10 AM »

FWIW guys truck stops are about the only place in AZ the 2 different prices are offered 99.5% of the C stores sell only the 8 cent a gal off fuel for RV's and the truckers know this you see bobtails in those places often and our Governor Brewer is looking for cash with our fuel being in line with most states for trucks to me it would not be worth saving 8 bucks on a 100 gals of fuel if you get caught,but I did it for years with buses I owned

good luck
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 04:07:35 AM by luvrbus » Logged

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 04:39:34 AM »

What is the protocol for fueling at the truck islands?  Pull up to the pump, go inside and pay cash, and go back out and pump?  Both times they have asked me for the name of my trucking company.

Brian S.

Brian,

We always fuel at the truck island. We have never had any questions asked. That is probably because we are commercial, and we look commercial (to most people, we are still just a bus conversion, but we have a DOT # and everything). We pull up, and one of us goes inside with a CC to authorize the pump. After the pumping is done, go back inside, and tell them the pump number. It is good to know your amount too, so you make sure you don't get somebody else's bill.

If you are private, then I would just tell them, when they ask, "private coach," or "private RV." Since you don't have a company name, it is fine.

Also, I don't get why truckers try to save the .08 a gallon. They have to pay fuel tax anyways. We do. We have to send all of the forms in with how many miles we traveled, etc. It doesn't matter very much to us where we buy fuel, anymore, because we will pay that state's tax anyways. It is complicated, but last year we actually got a refund.

Otherwise, we simply look for the best price. But if it is .08 in tax difference, for us, we don't care.

FWIW

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 04:44:10 AM »

FWIW guys truck stops are about the only place in AZ the 2 different prices are offered 99.5% of the C stores sell only the 8 cent a gal off fuel for RV's and the truckers know this you see bobtails in those places often and our Governor Brewer is looking for cash with our fuel being in line with most states for trucks to me it would not be worth saving 8 bucks on a 100 gals of fuel if you get caught,but I did it for years with buses I owned

good luck

Clifford, how much is the fine?

BCO

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 04:49:27 AM »

I have no idea Don but was told it was the same as using dyed fuel which can be big bucks here up to 10 grand

good luck

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 04:59:07 AM »

I have no idea Don but was told it was the same as using dyed fuel which can be big bucks here up to 10 grand

good luck

EEEEEEEEEEEouch! That smarts. 

I had a trailer once that had an expired tag, and I was going to California, so I called the Oklahoma Highway Patrol and inquired "How much is the fine for a trailer tag that is X months out of date?" and they said "$75.00." 

So I thought about it, "the cost of the tag is $90.00 and then there is the penalty and all that" and both of them added up to MORE than the fine, so off we went to California.  Everything went just fine until we had to stop in Needles for fuel, but that is another post and another day.

BCO

Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 05:07:33 AM »

My 40' RTS has only two axles, but the GVW is 36,900 lbs.  I have never been hassled filling at the RV pump in AZ, the only problem is trying to get to the pump.  Like the original post says, the third axle is the obvious infraction that they look for.  They don't know how much your GVW is without inspecting your ID plate, and I'll be damned if I tell them where it is!

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: