Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 05:29:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towed vehicle requirements by state  (Read 976 times)
Timkar

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2011, 08:25:49 AM »

Found this list quite interesting for those who tow. Not sure when it was compiled.  Wink Wink

http://home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/toad-brakes-by-state.html

Cawston, British Columbia
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 08:45:07 AM »

always surprises me how many States, and provinces, for that matter, don't require brakes in a towed car or truck.  Towed trailers are a different animal, far more states require brakes.  I always wonder what a towed car on a dolly requires?

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
MikeH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:09:48 AM »

So I'm guessing that if you travel through any state, your towed vehicle is subject to the rules in that state, regardless of where you have it licensed. This would be a good thing to be aware of as you plan your routes if you are towing anything behind you.

Mike

"It just ain't fair! How come the good guys always win?" -Bad Jack Cutter
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:16:33 AM »

That is indeed the rule, Mike.  Drivers licenses are respected with reciprocity state to state and province, but the vehicle always must conform to local rules and laws. 

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
blank

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:27:33 PM »

This situation is one reason I wish the Federales would initiate reciprocity over state laws so we could travel unhindered. You shouldnt need to study and comply with the laws of all 50 states to go traveling, your states laws should be good enough. Its not like you live there, your just visiting/passing through.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:29:59 PM »

i suspect that if you do due diligence and try to protect the other guy, the jury will be reasonable with you on liability.  if you strictly meet the requirements, and don't actually try to make your vehicles safe, then you will probably get what you deserve.
i always try my honest best to make sure i don't cause anyone else any grief, regardless of the laws, rules, or lawyers do.

Yes, Sean, i do try to follow rules and guidelines, but i first have to believe i've done the right thing as well as met the codes. Wink

i don't worry about the feds or states.  most juries won't convict an honest person who tries (unless he has a jerk lawyer). In my humble opinion.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: