Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 03:53:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LED bulbs for headlights  (Read 3147 times)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 08:45:05 PM »

Wayne -

Can e-code  lights be purchased here in the states or on line? I checked on google search but had little success.

Ask and ye shall receive:

www.cibiesua.com

With your Setra, I'd recommend that you buy a full set of four.  It will set you back a little over $300, but WHAT PRICE SAFETY???  Once you get these aimed properly, you won't believe the difference.

I've used Cibie, Carello, Marchal and Hella E-codes for over 35 years, have never been stopped, have never been questioned about my headlights.  Sadly, I cannot get them for my Tacoma, or it would have them too.  Of the four brands listed, Cibie is, IMHO, the best of the bunch, from optics to manufacturing quality.

Boogie -

I tend to agree with you about the effect of the bright lights on night vision.  But I want to throw a question at you to ponder and comment:

If these HID-lights were controlled by better optics, such as the E-codes, do you think they'd still be "as annoying?"

Sean -

But it costs lots of real money to get the approvals,

BINGO!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 10:12:09 PM »

Point for clarification:  We are talking about the low beam light....the one with the razor sharp cutoff line.  Hi-beams are all forbidden to be used when approaching on-coming traffic so the only limit I know of is wattage, E code or SAE.

Ciebie mat well be the best.  I have Hella that I have had for 15 years or so.  They are the 7 inch rouind and that light is supposed to be the best design.  The other Hella I have are the fog lights that bumper mount.  Their beam pattern is great and they put a lot of light  down the road.  Problem is that the amber lens has been bleached out by the sun.  That is not good for a light I paid the "hi price" to get the very best.  For fogs I will next try Cibie,  There may be a glitch there as I insist on the dark amber and that is getting hard to find.  IO tried a few times to get replacement lens for my fogs and I could not locate a source.  Anybody know where I can get Hella lens?  You can get H3 fog light bulbs in 90- watts or go with the Cibie that rates their 55 watt bulbs as putting out 100 watts worth of light.  55 watt bulbs are enuff for me but I have 4 dark amber lamps up front.  I only use them when I am in fog or all by my lonesome out in the desert going 70 or 80.  Check your fog bulbs as the H3 comes in a 30 watt version and that is a [popular standard size for the after market lights.  My Ranger had 30 watt bulbs in the standard equip fogs that I ripped out and replaced.  The stock item was very anemic and wimpy.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Bob Belter

Eagle 01 //Cummins M-11 Roadranger OD RTO1110

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 02:36:54 AM »

Ahoy, Boogiethecat,

Great piece on lights and the eyeball.  You taught this old Tailhook Naval Aviator 'new art', and we guys know a lot about night vision.

Auxiliary lights --  driving, fog, whatever.  I have three times lost ALL headlights on a vehicle.  The first, years ago, and a hand held spotlight Christmas present saved my butt from the Mississippi river on a black and snowy night.  Accordingly, I have a fine respect for aux lights on my Eagle.  I have a main buss cable coming forward, and an essential buss cable which does not have much on it, but it powers a pair of fog lights which are likely to stay on if there is any electricity anywhere in the bus (buss??) 

I have four (4ea) Cibie large rectangular lights on my Eagle with 100 watt bulbs ( on the main buss with relays).  Work fine, and in the black of the desert between Wickenburg and Vicksburg -- maybe 15-20 minutes with NO other lights seen, my main concern was that I would set the desert on fire with all four of those things blazing away.  And  --  A good feeling to have reliable aux lighting.

Enjoy   /s/   Bob         
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 03:52:17 AM »

Sadly, I cannot get them for my Tacoma, or it would have them too. 

Are the same lights not used on a 4-Runner or Hilux?

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 09:36:30 AM »

Jeremy -

Are the same lights not used on a 4-Runner or Hilux?

Sadly, no.

While my son was stationed in Germany, I had him search for lights for me.  He found some on both a 4-Runner and a Hilux at some local bone yards and sent them to me.

Neither fit - shaped differently.

So I basically stick to daylight hours behind the wheel of the Tacoma.

Cry

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
wayne
1990 Setra 215 HDH

www.mybusgarage.com

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 04:13:19 PM »

I understand e code lights now and sadly I don't see a way for me to use them. If my front end was original I could but I used jeep Commander headlights when I built my new front, so, does anyone have the solution for bulbs in a Jeep Commaner housing? The lower running lights I used are Jeep Liberty headlights. I guess any improvement I could do to either of them would help. I haven't driven this yet at night with the new lights so I really don't know how good it lights up.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: