Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:25:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW MUCH DID IT COST  (Read 11419 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »

When I get asked that question, my smart a$$ comes out.  Shocked Depending on who is asking, here are some samples of the answers I've used.  Wink

Notthin', it was given to me. (Technically true, but it cost me ~$4.00 per mile to get it 'home')

More than you make.

All I could afford.

More than I could afford.

All the excess cash I could find, after all, isn't that what hobbies are for - to absorb excess cash!

Less than a mistress.

Less than a boat.

Less than golfing.

And, my favorite:
I don't know, I ain't done yet.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Ed Brenner

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 02:18:42 PM »

When I get asked I just tell them Priceless. It was my Dad's pride and he had a heart-attack working on it.
Can't put a number on that , wished he stilled owned it !

They usually walk away.

Thanks Ed Sad

Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 02:25:40 PM »

Great post!

I usually say "$786, 412. 03 ..... so far"

Another annoying question is "Who's in there?"  I used to say "It's mine" but nobody believed that so now I just say, "I'm sorry, I can't tell you. I'd get in a lot of trouble. But they are VERY important!"

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 04:08:23 PM »

I usually just say "sleeping in my own bed every night  PRICELESS"  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 04:55:36 PM »

The funny part is that the guys that spend the big bucks for the sticks and staples will tell you how much they spent!!!! As far as my total I still am under what a down payment on their rig would be. If I sold my house, business and everything I no longer needed and went the full time route I could have one of those high dollar rigs. Just not my choice. Actually what everyone asks me is what year is it..... 1972!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
baldeaglewy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 06:35:15 PM »

BCO:   ...great tale as always... you always manage to get my mind thinking.....

HAPPYCAMPERBRAT:   ..what a truly wonderful family memory you are making.  Good, solid quality one on one time.... There is nothing like it!!

artvonne:   ...  Every time I hear on the news about the bed bug epidemic, I become more thankful that we have our bus to travel and stay in!  Shocked)

Pam in Wyoming
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 07:09:55 PM »

My answer always is "I have no clue"  Grin

The truth is I stopped keeping track when it started scarring me, then I don't have to know anymore. I don't really care. Wink

I liked Jack's reply. "Sleeping in my own bed, PRICELESS"! Cool

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »

She keeps asking, I say I didn't total it up.  I feign ignorance and keep hiding the receipts from her-- Wink

I'm not in the doghouse yet--so I guess the answer works!!! Smiley

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 09:09:11 PM »

Alot of great answers. I will try some of them out. The other thing that really bothers me is when they come up as soon as they see you, and want to know can they look inside. Had a trucker the other day do that. We were parked at a  walmart about to go in and work and a semi pulled up and the guy got out with his wife, and right off the bat says, Can my wife look inside? She aint never seen inside one of those. Well, hubby was the one outside, and he is always the good guy, and says sure, while I am sitting inside not quite ready for the world, lol. I told him next time to tell them that the wife has a bad case of the flu.What else ya gonna say? Dont like to lie, but,  Maybe I am too touchy about that, but, I am mostly a private person, and really dont enjoy my bus being on the home tours schedule, unless of course, we are at a rally. Grin

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 04:28:14 AM »

Ruthi, Just charge an admission fee of $50!

I agree, don't like the idea of some stranger asking to see the inside, you never know anymore about people. Bus Nuts are a different breed, we just smile and say "Sure", if the wife's ready to face the world that is! She has to have her happy face on! Roll Eyes

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 05:24:45 AM »

I tell people who ask the question "If I had known it would have been 1/10 the cost or 1/20 of the time, I'd have never got involved with it" ... but I would have.

Looking back on all of it, it is hard to say, would we do it again or not?  Things are a LOT different now and times have certainly changed, that is a hard call for me.

Thanks for your reply,

BCO

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 05:26:11 AM »

It costs so much less than the yacht.

Four years in the NAV is all the time I want on a yacht, I was a member of the Tonkin Bay Yacht Club in 67 and that wasn't any fun at all.  I am staying with the bus.

BCO

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 05:26:59 AM »

Great post. Now you helped me make a decision I have been kicking around!

If it is not too personal, what was it, you have me curious.

BCO

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 05:27:38 AM »

Nice post. You hit the nail on the head. It always bothers me when complete strangers approach me and first thing out of their mouths is the How much did it cost. I am always stumped at what to say, but wish I had a really good comeback. We are getting that asked pretty regularly now. You are so right about time. For us, it was every spare moment and half the night for the last 2 yrs, when we could schedule time to be home. And you are right about time researching. I cant even count up all the hours, days, weeks spent on my part at looking up stuff, trying to find parts, and researching problems. I guess we are not the only ones that get that question. I am interested to hear responses as to what others answer when asked that, lol.

We try Ruthi, thanks.

BCO

brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 05:29:02 AM »

I tell people who ask the question "If I had known it would have been 1/10 the cost or 1/20 of the time, I'd have never got involved with it" ... but I would have.

Looking back on all of it, it is hard to say, would we do it again or not?  Things are a LOT different now and times have certainly changed, that is a hard call for me.

Thanks for your reply,

BCO

Hard to say if we would do it again as well. What started out as making financial sense on paper, turned into the worst financial decision I ever made. But it has been FUN.

We used the not paying for hotels in our calculations when purchasing, had no idea that those calculations go out the window after several large repairs. Even just routine maintenance stuff adds up real quick and makes owning a bus REAL expensive.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:36:13 AM by brando4905 » Logged

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: