Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
March 17, 2018, 09:44:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Noisy side mirror  (Read 798 times)

« on: February 19, 2011, 06:50:47 AM »

A final nit from my trip to Bozeman.  I asked earlier this year about the "right" way to adjust side mirrors for appropriate rear vision.  I got great responses, and followed the consensus.  I have the configuration of the normal vision mirror on the bottom and the wide angle on the top, each a separate mirror.

When I was done adjusting, I had great vision to the rear out of my driver's side by looking through the driver side window.  On the curbside I had excellent vision looking through the front windshield.  I think this is common on most buses.  The issue is the wind noise from the curb side mirror is incredibly bothersome.  It is okay if the wind is either directly behind or directly in front, but anything off axis creates lots of noise, to the point it is darn distracting.  When looking at the positioning of the mirrors, the drivers side is not in front of the bus at all, but pretty much all to the side.  The curb side mirror has about half of it's profile overlapping the front of the bus, and has more of an angle that the drivers side.  I think the air is going around the mirror, and being forced through the gap with the front of the bus and then creating lots of noise with the turbulence over the windows.  Not sure.

Has anyone else had this issue, and what are the potential solutions.

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 07:22:08 AM »

Tighten up the door seals.

Then the noise can't come in.

If you go to the rear of the coach and sight up the side like a rifle, you'd like the whole of the mirror to be visible, right at the body line, no gap.

Is the head adjusted such that with the mirror faces centered, it is aimed pretty much where you need to see? Sometimes a heavy twist in the mirror head, compensated with extreme mirror face adjustments, will catch some breeze.

Wind noise at speed is the devil.

happy coaching!

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 07:22:56 AM »

I found this link in the tips and tricks section, http://www.rv-partsplus.com/home/tech_tips/61.pdf

At the bottom of the page there is a pretty good explanation of mirror adjustment.

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: