Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 03:20:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New York City - Any suggestions?  (Read 3126 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:24:02 PM »

For many reasons I don't like going to cities (expensive, and difficult to park a bus near public transportation). My family is doing some arm twisting to visit NYC, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island etc. I have no idea where to even start, what to see, where to park, where to camp, what to avoid, etc. No toad, bus only, so that complicates things a bit. Six children and a tight budget most likely will mean no Broadway shows or anything that one thinks of when you visit NYC. Hopefully you all are getting the idea. Niagara falls will also be in the loop. Fuel prices are getting worrisome. Any help will with this will be greatly appreciated!

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »

I accidentally got stuck in NYC last year with my Dad's motorhome.  It was a nightmare!  You cannot drive on any of the parkways because of low clearance.  I didn't know this and found myself on one because I was lost and was following the GPS.  To avoid a low overpass, I had to cross 4 lanes of traffic in about 100 feet on a Friday at 6:00 pm. with a toad!  It was probably the scariest driving experience of my life.  It also cost $36 just to cross the G. Washington bridge!  If you take your bus to NYC you are braver than me!  I would NEVER do that again.

How did we accidentally go to NYC?  We were headed to New England and my wife was driving.  My nephew programmed the GPS and which routed us straight up 95.  Everyone who knew better was napping.  

Good luck if you go for it.

Marc
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:34:19 PM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 07:53:06 PM »

If you take your bus to NYC you are braver than me!

I don't think I am going into NYC with the bus, but I want to be close enough to get public transportation into the city.

desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 08:07:15 PM »

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?encType=1&where1=11+Luis+Munoz+Marin+Blvd%2c+Jersey+City%2c+NJ+07302&FORM=MIRE&qpvt=11+Luis+Munoz+Marin+Blvd.+Jersey+City%2c+NJ+07302#JnE9LjExK0x1aXMrTXVub3orTWFyaW4rQmx2ZCUyYytKZXJzZXkrQ2l0eSUyYytOSiswNzMwMiU3ZXNzdC4wJTdlcGcuMSZiYj00MC42MTY5NDQ1Nzg5MTk1JTdlLTczLjk5NjgxNTY0Nzc2OTclN2U0MC41ODM4NTY0MTY4Nzc1JTdlLTc0LjAzNjU1NTI1NjUzNDQ=

this place is spitting distance to Ellis island and the statue of liberty and across the river from the former world trade site $55 bucks a night

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:07:30 PM »

There's another thread here right now about a campground in Jersey City, you're all set!

oh fooey.

What are you doing driving a large vehicle with an auto GPS? This is exactly one of those few times where it really matters. Use the trucking software.

And what about the signs at every entrance to the parkway saying stay off?

Some nice pics of an H3 45 Prevost buried into a 10 foot overhead on the parkway someplace a few years ago, driven by a stupid countryman of mine. The bridge comes at the passengers at about tummy height...

For some counter point, this Canadian busnut LOVES New York City.

Drive like the devil and no one notices.

Survival of the fittest. They can smell your fear.

The garbage trucks clear the way, cuz, they aren't stopping for the outstretched mirrors on a BMW.

And the coach fits in their broken wake.

If the coach can fit, and you can make it, what fun!

Otherwise, back out and try some other way.

How close to stock does your coach appear? Take the rig into town and boldly go where few busnuts dare to tread.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/buslayoverloc.pdf

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/ferrybus/charterbus.shtml#offstreet

Getting to be so few places that one may actually use one's skills for more than a brief minute or two...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 08:16:57 PM »

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=19065.0;topicseen

This thread for the campground

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 04:54:23 AM »

There's another thread here right now about a campground in Jersey City, you're all set!

oh fooey.

What are you doing driving a large vehicle with an auto GPS? This is exactly one of those few times where it really matters. Use the trucking software.

And what about the signs at every entrance to the parkway saying stay off?

Some nice pics of an H3 45 Prevost buried into a 10 foot overhead on the parkway someplace a few years ago, driven by a stupid countryman of mine. The bridge comes at the passengers at about tummy height...

For some counter point, this Canadian busnut LOVES New York City.

Drive like the devil and no one notices.

Survival of the fittest. They can smell your fear.

The garbage trucks clear the way, cuz, they aren't stopping for the outstretched mirrors on a BMW.

And the coach fits in their broken wake.

If the coach can fit, and you can make it, what fun!

Otherwise, back out and try some other way.

How close to stock does your coach appear? Take the rig into town and boldly go where few busnuts dare to tread.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/buslayoverloc.pdf

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/ferrybus/charterbus.shtml#offstreet

Getting to be so few places that one may actually use one's skills for more than a brief minute or two...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

7 of us in the motorhome and nobody saw any sign.  Not saying it wasn't there, but none of us saw it.  It took a lady waving us down to find out.  My wife was driving and we still don't know how she got off I-95.  Had to switch with her on the parkway because she was getting scared.  Yes, auto GPS.  Didn't know any better back then.  

Sorry, driving a 34' motorhome with a 19' trailer in NYC at rush hour on Friday is survival of the stupid, not the fittest.  you can keep it.   But I guess my skills were sufficient because we got through it.   Shocked

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 05:23:55 AM »

I've found myself sitting in the GW bridge area traffic more times than I want to remember, and every time I get through it I always say I'll never take that route again. Almost always now I take 287 around and back to 95 to New England. I think it's about 45 miles more, but way quicker than the 2 or 3 hours I've spent trying to take 95 through the edge of town, and 95 is in ROUGH shape in this area.

We have a truckers gps, keeps me off the parkways and UNDER the overpasses, but it still tries to take me through the city on 95. This past summer we were heading up to NE and decided to try 95 one more time, big mistake, and the gps was set to avoid traffic. We found ourselves under the interstate in the Bronx dodging concrete pillars! No fun, i'll take 287 always from now on.

Couple of years ago we did take the kids into the city, but we parked in Patterson and rode in on a bus that still had all of it's seats!

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 06:05:49 AM »

Years back I drove truck into NYC, is all I can say is that I hope that I never have to go there again, My wife and son took a bus trip in a few years back and wanted me to go. The answer was no thanks. I think the best thing that could happen there is that it would brake off and float out to sea and sink. Of course I would remove most of the people first, but that does exclude the gangs and drug dealers, and the mob. Then again I guess there is already a enough pollution in the sea.   
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 06:44:30 AM »

when are you going to be in the Niagara Falls area ?

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
neverlearn

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 08:28:23 AM »

My Parents live on Long Island and I took my MC5 to visit once.  It was a good trip.  I paid attention to the signs which required some ad-hoc modification to my carefully planned routing.  For me, I was able to park in my Parents driveway and use one of their cars for local driving.  If you have a toad, or don't mind renting a car I would recommend a campground surrounding NYC.  If don't mind doing it, I highly recommend leaving the car behind and use public transportation in NYC.  I do know that a few of the beaches on Long Island have RV slips (My Dad likes to camp a Nickerson beach for a few weeks during the summer).  I don't have any info on campgrounds in NJ or north of NYC in NY.

Anything worth doing, is worth OVERdoing.
1984 MC-9: Went from Passenger service to my driveway where it stores the components for its upcoming transformation.
6V92 HT740
Palmyra, VA
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 08:52:18 AM »

Check out RV Park Reviews  http://www.rvparkreviews.com/search.php

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 09:52:54 AM »

http://blog.rv.net/2009/05/video-rv-camping-in-new-york-city/

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 07:56:10 PM »

Just go to liberty state park in New Jersey = http://www.libertystatepark.org/  exit 14B off the NJ turnpike (95).
Take the ferry into the city and to the statue and to Ellis Island.
Iím pretty sure they have camping right there in liberty marina $5.00 a day. Cool

http://www.newjerseycamper.com/14528.html
Area Campgrounds
Liberty Harbor Marina
11 Marin Boulevard
Jersey City, NJ

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:19:40 PM by Ednj » Logged

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 08:22:07 PM »

when are you going to be in the Niagara Falls area ?

No exact date set at this time but sometime possibly in July.

Iím pretty sure they have camping right there in liberty marina $5.00 a day.

If that is true, it is the last place on earth that offers camping that cheep, and near NYC is even more amazing. I haven't had time to check it out but I will. Thanks

Lots of good stuff and ideas I never would have thought about are popping up. This is the stuff I need. Keep the ideas, comments, and links coming. Thanks everyone!

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 11:22:32 PM »

And to Ed goes the first place prize.  $5.00 per day and located at the ferry landing?  Be still my beating heart.  Thanks, Ed.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
ďWe can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.Ē
óPla
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 04:18:28 AM »

i think it's $52 per day not $5

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 06:43:50 AM »

Id suggest Four Mile Creek State Park for the Niagara Falls area. The sites are bus friendly and the Robert Moses Parkway runs from the campground to the Falls. PM me and Ill be glad to fill you in on the area.

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 08:01:14 AM »

i called liberty and they are $62 per night but give %10 off with fmca which i don't have.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 04:28:17 PM »

Enjoy the trip!  Aside from New Jersey, there might be something reasonable on Staten Island which is also a ferry ride to Manhattan.  We are from New York but had not lived there since the early 70's.  We visited for a couple of weeks last year and were amazed by how much the city had improved.  The Subways were fast and convenient.  Google even gives Subway directions.  They have unlimited Subway use passes that make it very reasonable.  It is also quite a bit of fun to walk around the city too.  There is a tremendous amount of things to do, and I'm sure that you will be able to find things that you would want to see.  Unfortunately, the rest of the family will have different ideas of what's fun.  It is a bit of a drag to get dragged around to someone else's points of interest.  I still haven't been to the Statue of Liberty.  How about you, Van?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »

Lin. Nope me neither, Mom and Pop pasted through there when they moved to the states. Lots to do there, me I always go to my favorite haunts when there, White castles, Ninos pizzaria Grin Have a great time see the museums, the village. My first trip though would have to be the tour (by boat) around Manhattan. Smiley

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 08:12:53 PM »

I am following this closely and am following up on the leads. How about everyone that has been there or are in the know list their top ten must see or do places not including these:

Statue of Liberty
Brooklyn Bridge
Ellis Island
Times Square

Thanks

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 08:19:38 PM »

Angry If fuel prices keep going the way they have in just the last two days this trip will get ever harder to do. Any fun money will get put into the tank just to get there. Anyone know where the soup kitchens are in NYC? Sad

Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »

Yup! Got ya covered there too!  http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS351US420&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=soup+kitchen+in+lower+manhattan&fb=1&gl=us&hq=soup+kitchen+in+lower&hnear=Manhattan,+New+York,+NY&cid=8860600642516544587
Add the south street sea port to your journey, Wall st. Ground zero. Mean while uptown awaits, museums, Metropolitan opera, Central Park (by day of course Grin), cross town, 5th ave, Fao Swartz  Radio City Music Hall. Then there is the U.N on the east side, Penn Station, Umpire State building, 42st. Midtown an Times Square, and then back over to the west side of Manhattan sits the Intrepid. I'll leave it here for now, more to follow. Smiley Wink

desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 03:27:31 AM »

the soup Nazi is on 55th street

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 05:23:59 AM »

With the responses I am getting my attitude is starting to change for the better. One of the reasons I like San Fransisco so much is that I feel that there is a lot to do there, and I know what to do. My first thoughts on NYC and the surrounding areas are just of tall buildings and concrete, and that does nothing for me, especially if finding a place to stay and park the bus is a major hassle. Being pointed to specifics is a huge help in relieving my stress of planning this. Few things make me more ill than to find out I was within one mile of something I wish I would have seen, and didn't even know it was there. Thanks for the effort you all are putting into this, it is greatly appreciated.

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 06:40:04 AM »

You could probably spend six months just playing tourist in NYC and still not see it all.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 08:33:16 AM »

for liberty harbor RV park if you call this number you will never get through.201.386.7500  i tried for a week then i dialed 201.386.7501 and got through first time.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »

Barn Owl, i was there once in 1967. The top thing on my list was to see the city getting smaller in my rearview mirror. Smiley  I was not impressed, no desire to ever go back. Times are different now and i am told things are better there but i have a lot of other places that i would rather go to. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »

Ed, you must have been stationed at Fort Dix too, LOL.  Used to take the bus into the city on weekend pass once in a while.  Crazy place in '66 & '67.  Love, peace, hippies, beatniks, the Village.  Those dudes sure didn't like GI's during the war.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 09:21:12 PM »

There are lots of cool things.  Of the commonly known, The Museum of Natural History and the Planetarium are great.  There may be some tours available also that go underground.  Back in the early 70's I was a member of Local 147, the Sandhogs union.  Those are the tunnel minors that "dug", more generally blasted the subways, etc.  I only worked on one project-- a water tunnel that is as much as 800 feet down.  We worked on the 800 foot shaft on what is now known as Roosevelt Island; it was Welfare Island back then.  Once down to the bottom, we started driving a 30 foot diameter tunnel toward Manhattan under the East River and uptown to meet a similar shaft that was dug in Van Cortland Park in the Bronx.  Believe it or not, my ears are still ringing.  Imagine being in an enclosed 30 foot tunnel with 12 huge drills pounding blasting wholes into the rock!  Here's a link to the underground layers (http://www.nationalgeographic.com/features/97/nyunderground/docs/nymain.html).  Notice the tunnel at the very bottom?  That was us.

For all the criticism that New York takes, it is an amazing place.  Did you ever think about how they managed to supply water to a population of that size and density?  That's what that tunnel was for.  One truly remarkable thing is that they have always stayed ahead of the need.  Anyway, I do not know what underground stuff is open to the public, but it would be fun.  Here's something of interest, http://hubpages.com/hub/Subterranean-New-York-Fort-Totten-Tunnels.  Notice the reference of Captain Robert E. Lee.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2011, 06:00:02 AM »

Boomer, nope, just passing thru after going to the Expo in Montreal. Didn't do the army thing until 1970,  did Ft. Lewis for 4 months then Vietnam for 13 & 1/2.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: