Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 12:14:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wood floor repair  (Read 1550 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2011, 07:45:34 AM »

I was wondering if anybody has had to repair a section of hardwood flooring in their coach. 

I have about a 1-1/2 - 2 foot wide area in front of the refrigerator that has buckled due to an old fridge leak.  Fridge has been repaired, but the engineered wood flooring has buckled in that area.

Should I try to repair just the affected area or is that going to be more trouble than it's worth?  Other option is to replace all the wood flooring.

I was thinking if I could find the exact same thickness flooring, I could pull away the damaged boards and patch it.  Just hope there is no sub-floor damage.

Marc

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:25:29 AM »

Even if you had spare stock of the original flooring, you are never going to get a perfect match.  I guess the answer depends on what you can live with.  Patch it up as best you can and use a rug over it, or replace the entire floor.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 02:35:13 PM »

I think you're right.  The original hardwood is a little worn and new would stick out like a sore thumb unless I replace it all.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »

Is this real wood out laminate that you are referring to? If laminate, most will match fairly close. If real wood there might be a slight difference but can usually be adjusted by light steel wooling, little stain, and polishing with paste wax, not liquid!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »

It is not laminate, it appears to be engineered wood flooring because the top veneer layer has buckled away from the plywood base.  If I can find the same color and width, I might give matching it a shot.

Marc

oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 04:27:29 PM »

Marc:

I have two words to say to you:

Ernie Ekberg

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

TOM

To all other board members, you won't get it, it's an inside joke.

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »

Marc -

I have 3 words: OEM  Smiley

Mine is like new, easy to clean and... I just like it. Kinda retro, ya' know?  Anyway, I've got cartons of flooring (some oak 'floating' type and some darker (mahogany?) laminate. If same width (and depth) you can have the lot.

Nellie

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 06:11:43 PM »

Marc -

I have 3 words: OEM  Smiley

Mine is like new, easy to clean and... I just like it. Kinda retro, ya' know?  Anyway, I've got cartons of flooring (some oak 'floating' type and some darker (mahogany?) laminate. If same width (and depth) you can have the lot.

Nellie

Very generous offer.  I will have to dig some of it up to see exactly what thickness and width it is and make sure the subfloor is okay.

Marc

babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 09:33:13 PM »

When you said buckled..  I thought yea sub floor gone and an in depth repair.  If the top flooring is just de-laminating or peeling up off it's substrate it is just a patch job to match as best you can or can live with.

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »

How about repacing it with a tile accent?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 11:31:49 PM »

GRRRSNAZELFRITZZ!!!!  Niles beat me to it....dang.  Often getting a match is impossible and getting it "close" yields an eye sore.  Cut the patch back till you are into solid material.  Put in slate or tile or whatever....just make sure if it is wood that it is distinctly different in color.  New wood will  glare if set in old even slightly worn wood.  No matter what you drop on slate the item will break.  Water glasses to bowling balls...never fails.  But I got it in my home cause it just looks good....and was cheap to me.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 06:58:06 AM »

How about repacing it with a tile accent?

Only bad thing about it is that it is right up next to the transition that already goes from wood to tile.  So I would have another mismatch.

I do think it is just the veneer peeling off the boards, not damage underneath, but I might be wrong. 

Marc

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 07:16:00 AM »

My brother has some stuff that he used in his house that looks like tile but is a snap together product. I was there 4 times before i found out that it wasn't tile He said that even tile people thought it was real tile. He also used it in his motorhome.  He got it at Lowe's, said he thought it was made by Dupont.....a little softer than tile so your glass objects might survive a fall. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 08:36:28 AM »

My brother has some stuff that he used in his house that looks like tile but is a snap together product. I was there 4 times before i found out that it wasn't tile He said that even tile people thought it was real tile. He also used it in his motorhome.  He got it at Lowe's, said he thought it was made by Dupont.....a little softer than tile so your glass objects might survive a fall. Grin

A Busnut near me (can't remember the name) used that in his conversion and it looks great.  I think it is called luxury vinyl.

Marc

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: