Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 06:00:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PD 4106 8V71 Smokes on Startup  (Read 3739 times)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 02:17:51 PM »

If you have a manual trans the leak on the parking brake could be trans oil.

If you have AT forget that unless the oil is red.

A leaking rear main seal can also throw a lot of oil.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
papatony

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »

I just thought of some thing that might cause the problem.  Check your fan to see if it is coasting or turning all the time. If it turns all the that might keep it from warming up quickly. Also never let it idle for very long. Crank it turn on the fast idle when the air builds to a certain pressure it will come on,but was not made to run on just idle speed.  Also Texaco made their oil for the two cycle engines.
rxeno

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 03:10:56 PM »

thanks yes CORRECT oil for sure.
got gallons of it.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 04:35:37 PM »

But when it is cold here, 38 to 45 degrees, it will take some starter fluid to get her going.

My bus isn't called "Wheezy Bus" for nothing. I need starter fluid at 90 degrees, so don't worry about it. I have been many places in the Rockies, over passes and through hills, that many here with their low milage machines will never attempt to tread and quite frankly, probably couldn't. I do have a 8v71 with only 10k miles to put in it but why bother? My kids are growing up to fast and I don't have the time to miss out on family time. I want to use the bus while they are still at home. These DD2S engines will run forever completely worn out. I could never recoup the cost of a rebuild, so I will never do that. If you have the money for a rebuild you should re-power to a 6v92ta with a v730. That is one of the nicest mods you can make on a 4106. I have driven one several hundred miles and there is no comparison.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 10:50:09 PM »

rxeno, the oil on the parking brake is going to be differential oil, which is 140 weight. You likely have a leaking pinion seal. It would be a real stretch for that to be transmission oil. Two more things; the handbrake is a parking brake, not an emergency brake. With it oiled up, you will play hell getting the coach stopped from any speed if you just rely on it to get stopped.

I recommend that you find a road with no traffic and try it out. Keep in mind, you can start a fire under there if you get carried away. I believe this is how the pinion seals are damaged.

Since you seem to have little trouble with smoke once the engine is warm, then use your block heater for two hours before you start the engine. That should cut the smoke to a minimum.

You didn't mention your fuel mileage; the 4106 standard shift will get 10 mpg if held to 65 in moderate weather. The V730 automatic will get 20% less and produce a lot more heat.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
rxeno

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 11:58:22 PM »

Thanks pvcces  Yes I beleive youw ould be right about where the oil on the brake is coming from.
Hmmm is that something that can be fixed without pulling things out?

Fellow that owned it suggested I not use it as it is soaked ands would not stop me and would cause a fire most likely.

It appears I got between 9 and 11 mpg depending upon the road I was driving during my initial 1200 mile home trip. I kept topping the fuel off cause I really didnt know how she would do.

Hoping the shop I take her to on friday can give me relaistic info.
today on the phone the fello (25+ years at it) said yeah I could easy spend $5k doing fuel injectors and seals and gaskets etc, but he doubted it it really needed it from my description. So, sounds lik ei can trust him so far.

Looking forward to Luke's block heater to test this out too!

rx
rxeno

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »

So.  I run the correct oil in the engine.
But the fellow I gotr it from had 10w 40 in it in California
Has this done some damage or am I good if I continue to use Delo 100 40w ?

thnx
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 02:28:15 PM »

It's nothing to rebuild it over but change it as soon as you can.
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 02:54:38 PM »

my 04 did the same thing right after it was rebuilt. The block heater will help reduce the smoke. Mine was a fresh rebuild, new injectors, and a rebuilt blower. Your engine sounds fine.

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »

Mine blows a little on cold start up but usually clears fairly fast depending on when she was last run. In the warm weather there is not really any noticeable smoke but my neighbor says it smells like a bbq smouldering with a ton of fluid on it. He hates the smell of diesel but I kind of like it....now. 

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 03:26:15 PM »

I really think that a thousand mile trip with fresh oil is going to cure 90% of your problems.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
rxeno

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 04:28:12 PM »

Thanks Len, Paladin, et all!
I am getting the front wheels replaced  tomorrow and the rear passenger studs replaced Friday (in backwards rotation), and then we will be off on another test run.

Waiting for windshields and wipoers and some molding from Luke and we are getting into the painting mood next!
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 06:07:13 PM »

Folks, regardless of the engine life left in this engine, our busnut friend does not enjoy the freedom to smoke out the joint. This smoke IS a big deal for his situation.

rxeno, get an electric compressor to air up the coach, so you can start and drive away. oil-filled is most of our biases, oilless are weaker and easier to burn out. Pay attention to CFM, not power consumption of the electric bits.

Get that block heater in there and see how that helps.

Was the straight 40wt oil in it for your long drive home, or was it still the multi grade?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
rxeno

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 06:17:30 PM »

Thanks roadwarrior
Yes multi in that drive home
Since I put straight in it it doesnt seem to have lost a drop, but only about 150 intown miles.
Ill head out this weekend and see if I can get some speed up to test her out.

Yes I head about the electric air compressor option.
Fortunately at present it takes only 5 or 6 minutes to air up to 120.
Oil pressure remains approx 55 to 58 above the left line at all times.
is that left upper oil guage line 40 or 50? hmmmm.

The Moror truck guys seem honest and do know what they are talking about because they have echoed every bit of the good advice I received here, so Friday I will get a closer opinion.
THanks!
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 06:33:18 PM »

Ok, take that coach out for a 100 miles on the highway with the 40wt oil and see what happens.

You might be pleasantly surprised!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: