Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 12:30:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PD 4106 8V71 Smokes on Startup  (Read 3914 times)
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 08:37:03 PM »

rxeno, that fuel mileage says that your engine is not worn. If there is anything wrong with it, it should just be repaired. In other words, if you have loss of compression on one cylinder, you should be able to fix the one jug. A broken ring is not all that unusual in this engine.

I don't think you said how many miles on the engine since it's last rebuild. It can take up to 30,000 miles to break in the engine, and misfires are common early in the break-in period.

We had that problem and found out that we needed to firewall the engine at full load in a boat of ours for about four hours. It made all the symptoms that we had go away. Loafing is not a good thing for diesels; they often overcool and will slobber unless the rings are getting enough pressure to make them seat.

Good luck.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
rxeno

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 06:54:58 PM »

Today was very cold, 29 degrees, couple of days of that.
Been 4 days since I started her up. Squirt of Starter fluid in the little thingy, crank once 10 seconds crank twice, ten seconds, crank third time and she turns over and starts.
As soon as the oil is up I push it and as soon as the air comes up (about 2 minutes) I take off.

Never felt better, I have been driving around worried about it and now I can see there is really very little to worry about.
Smoke stopped within 5 minutes of driving or less (slow 30 too 40 mph intown drive)

Excellen,t thanks for all the advice gentlemen, it made things better already.
rx
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: