Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 01:40:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of the shop but does not quite seem the same...  (Read 7786 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2011, 04:46:05 PM »

Finally after 8 days, I was able to pick up the Eagle from W.W. Williams.  To recap why it was there, on the drive home from Texas last week, it dropped an injector 30 miles south of Montgomery, AL.  At the same time, the exhaust pipe separated at the flange, actually breaking the casting on the flange. The muffler also has a small hole, but I don't know if that was there before or not.

Anyway, they replaced the bad injector and custom made a new pipe for the exhaust leaving the muffler as is. 

I don't know if it's my imagination or what, but the engine just doesn't seem as smooth anymore.  Granted, I have only ever driven the bus for 2 days and 750 miles after picking it up Texas. 

When you are standing in front of the engine and listening to the exhaust, the right bank, where the injector went out, seems to be ever so slightly missing.  Could this just be from the hole in the muffler?  Or could I have a valve problem now?...  Or could it just clear up with some driving? 

I have only driven it back from the shop about 10 miles, and maybe I'm just paying much more attention than I should, but I think something might be off.  It's an 8v71.

Thoughts?

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 04:58:28 PM »

I had a exhaust valve to tight after adjusting and it created a miss. One of those senior moments.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 06:14:02 PM »

Mine had an exhaust leak and it definately sounded like a miss. I even had an ole friend that knows the ole 2 strokers well shake his head thinking it had a miss.  I redid the exhaust and it went away!!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:27:50 PM »

If Williams did a compression check on that cylinder it won't be a valve after 10 days and a few thousand bucks you hear strange sounds if you have a valve problem let someone follow you it will blow white smoke on that side 

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 06:56:26 PM »

If Williams did a compression check on that cylinder it won't be a valve after 10 days and a few thousand bucks you hear strange sounds if you have a valve problem let someone follow you it will blow white smoke on that side 

good luck

LOL  Hope you're right.  It's actually been 12 days.   

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 07:52:08 PM »

One way or another, you need a muffler, so get one and see what happens?

"dropped an injector" Huh?

What, exactly, happened to the injector?

Slang terms raise a flag right away for me, especially when a bunch of cash has changed hands.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 08:32:19 PM »

Slang terms raise a flag right away for me, especially when a bunch of cash has changed hands.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

An injector blew out and was dumping fuel into that cylinder.  Clifford called it and he was right.  They showed me the old injector and the guts of it were chewed up.

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 08:42:44 PM »

happy coaching!
buswarrior

The complication is that I am 400 miles from home and have been here for a week while they have been working on the bus.  If they did something wrong, now is the time to take it back. 

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 10:22:07 PM »

Marc,
WW Williams is a stand up company that has locations all over the Eastern/Southern US and if they did wrong it will be warrantied @ ANY OF THEIR LOCATIONS!

As a matter of fact from my personal experiences the second location will go way above and beyond the norm to ensure that all is well and you are happy when you leave!

I have had many things done by them on the road and they have ALWAYS treated us right! (even if we were light in the wallet when we left! They still gave us our $ worth in excellent service! I long longer worry about how much it is until they are done, because # 1 it has to be fixed & # 2 I ain't there to do it myself!)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 10:28:07 PM »

Marc,
WW Williams is a stand up company that has locations all over the Eastern/Southern US and if they did wrong it will be warrantied @ ANY OF THEIR LOCATIONS!

As a matter of fact from my personal experiences the second location will go way above and beyond the norm to ensure that all is well and you are happy when you leave!

I have had many things done by them on the road and they have ALWAYS treated us right! (even if we were light in the wallet when we left! They still gave us our $ worth in excellent service! I long longer worry about how much it is until they are done, because # 1 it has to be fixed & # 2 I ain't there to do it myself!)
Grin  BK  Grin

They were very courteous and professional.  I am going to try some muffler tape to see if that changes the way it sounds.  If not, I'll give them a call back.  The only thing that concerns me is that they looked at the 2 stroke 8-71 as if it was something completely foreign.  After the kid worked on it, he said he had never even seen one before.

thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 11:07:45 PM »

I would be concerned that the kid that worked on it didn't set it up just right.  Wouldn't the new injector need to be gauged or height set or something like that?  If he never touched a 2 stroke before i would be hesitant to believe he actually got it tuned right after replacing the injector.  then again, I know nothing about setting them up either...pure speculation.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 04:22:00 AM »

We all know these motors need to be worked real hard for many miles to clear them out. If your muffler is bad, well, maybe it was missing before the injector fried, and now it sounds funny running normal? 10 miles isnt very far though. Perhaps re-route your trip slightly and aim the Bus at the next Williams center on your way home.

But were not there, you are. Were not hearing the noise, feeling the engine miss, you are. If you honestly think it isnt running right bring it back. After several hundred miles of driving it you probably have a good feeling for how it should feel and sound.

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 06:37:32 AM »

My plan this morning is to wrap the muffler with exhaust tape and drive the bus for 30 minutes or so, then reassess the situation.  Will keep you posted.

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 06:40:26 AM »

Marc, since this was an in-experienced 2-stroke mechanic, I would go back and talk to the supervisor.

I don't think you can properly service an injector and not run the rack.  The manual tells how to do it, but the really experienced folks will tell you that the process is very sensitive to operator technique.  I was lucky to have an old time mechanic who was rebuilding a really hopped up push truck at Bonneville show me the process.  I was very impressed at what was involved.  Not like simply adjusting the valves.  I later did it on my 6V92 and it was out of the bus and it was still pretty intensive.

As a side note, you can see the push truck and the unbelievable race truck ('47 International Semi with 16V92 - still holds the record at over 270 MPH ten years later) here:

http://rvsafetysystems.com/The%20Phoenix%20LSR%20Truck.htm

As I mentioned earlier, to run the rack they have to remove both valve covers. The service manager should know what was done and can talk to the mechanic.  I would not leave there until I knew the rack had been run correctly.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 06:50:57 AM »

Marc, since this was an in-experienced 2-stroke mechanic, I would go back and talk to the supervisor.

I don't think you can properly service an injector and not run the rack.  The manual tells how to do it, but the really experienced folks will tell you that the process is very sensitive to operator technique.  I was lucky to have an old time mechanic who was rebuilding a really hopped up push truck at Bonneville show me the process.  I was very impressed at what was involved.  Not like simply adjusting the valves.  I later did it on my 6V92 and it was out of the bus and it was still pretty intensive.

As a side note, you can see the push truck and the unbelievable race truck ('47 International Semi with 16V92 - still holds the record at over 270 MPH ten years later) here:

http://rvsafetysystems.com/The%20Phoenix%20LSR%20Truck.htm

As I mentioned earlier, to run the rack they have to remove both valve covers. The service manager should know what was done and can talk to the mechanic.  I would not leave there until I knew the rack had been run correctly.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

They did say they ran the rack.  It also reflects as much on the receipt.  There is a good chance that Clifford is right and that I am being paranoid.  I have had plenty of cars with bad exhaust that make them sound like they are missing.  If it sounds the same after the muffler tape, I will contact W.W.Williams again.

Thanks,
Marc

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: