Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 01:24:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of the shop but does not quite seem the same...  (Read 7960 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 07:03:09 AM »

The big mystery to me is how it is that the injector went bad at the exact same time that the exhaust came apart...Huh   Huh Huh Huh

Can somebody explain how these things might be connected?  A very strange coincidence to me.  When we picked the bus up, it was purring like a kitten.  Smooth and quiet  (for a diesel).

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 07:11:30 AM »

Williams is not going to let a young guy do the injector setting and rack without some body checking his work you can bank on that ,what I like about Williams showing younger guys that there is more to it than walking around working on a engine without a Pro/Link in your hand lol FWIW they have a young female in Vegas that does most of the 2 stroke one of the sharpest around X military trained about 25 years old give the young people a break

Life is short drink the good wine first
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 07:38:20 AM »

Clifford, I suspect you are correct about having someone look over the mechanics shoulder.  Also good that these shops are training young folks how to work on these engines.  Had not thought of military experience.  Lots of 2-stroke equipment there.

Marc, a bad injector would really saturate the exhaust system.  My guess is the the muffler had some raw diesel in it and somehow that fuel combusted.  Happens all the time with old gas engines when the carb float gets out of whack.  It would be harder to ignite the diesel, but I would guess that it could happen and that would be a good explanation.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 08:06:04 AM »

Clifford, I suspect you are correct about having someone look over the mechanics shoulder.  Also good that these shops are training young folks how to work on these engines.  Had not thought of military experience.  Lots of 2-stroke equipment there.

Marc, a bad injector would really saturate the exhaust system.  My guess is the the muffler had some raw diesel in it and somehow that fuel combusted.  Happens all the time with old gas engines when the carb float gets out of whack.  It would be harder to ignite the diesel, but I would guess that it could happen and that would be a good explanation.

Jim

Jim,

That makes perfect sense.  My wife was behind me in the car and she said there were sparks flying out of the exhaust.  That's probably what it was. 

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 11:12:25 AM »

I had some injectors replaced once on a 4-71 at a DD dealer, and a tune up with running the rack, before I learned how to do it myself. It was a young mechanic doing it, but he had an old wrench looking over his shoulder and teaching him during the procedure. He was happy to learn and it was done right.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »

Okay,

I just wasted an entire day and $20 on goop plugging a hole in the muffler so I could verify what I thought I heard...  There is DEFINITELY still a dead miss.  I am starting to get upset.  I have now been in Montgomery for 9 days and after all that time, W.W. Williams has given me the bus back without fixing the core problem.

When you throttle it by hand at the engine, no smoke, but when you go inside and push the throttle, it is still blowing out white smoke out of the right pipe.  It seems to me that they did not follow correct procedures in this case, despite their good reputation.  From what I understand, this kind of problem should have been exposed during a compression check.  I am beginning to believe they skipped it.

I am now day 14 of this trip and have been able to do this because I am self employed.  But I am starting to lose money which really puts me in a BAD mood.  I am only so flexible.  I need to get back home but don't want to drive this bus like this.  I am a slow burn, but my fuse is now lit. 

What do you guys suggest?  I can't afford to wait another week for them to get back into it but don't want to drive it like this.

Marc

lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 03:22:44 PM »

I guess all you can do is go back to Williams and ask them to look into it.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 03:27:33 PM »

I am going to call them in the morning.  This episode is not only costing me in repairs but lost income.  I am getting HOT.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »

Many Detroit dealers will put trucks ahead of converted buses because trucks make money for the owner of the trucks.  They also get a lot of repeat business from truck owners.

You need to make it clear that they need to fix your bus right away as they did it wrong and it is costing you money no different than any other truck being off the road.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »

If you are coming to NC    See either David at Davids Coach on hy 18 between Shelby and Morganton  or Gene Russel
at Russells's Diesel in Mill Springs NC  witch is south of Hendersonville.

Two of the best 2stroke men left and very reasonable.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »

Many Detroit dealers will put trucks ahead of converted buses because trucks make money for the owner of the trucks.  They also get a lot of repeat business from truck owners.

You need to make it clear that they need to fix your bus right away as they did it wrong and it is costing you money no different than any other truck being off the road.

The funny thing is that the times I have popped in on them during the week, there are always 4 or 5 guys sitting around in a circle talking and maybe 2 or 3 Greyhounds in the bay and no trucks at all.  When I picked it up yesterday there was a fire truck in there.  They are NOT busy.

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 04:14:17 PM »

If you are coming to NC    See either David at Davids Coach on hy 18 between Shelby and Morganton  or Gene Russel
at Russells's Diesel in Mill Springs NC  witch is south of Hendersonville.

Two of the best 2stroke men left and very reasonable.

uncle ned

I have heard good things about Gene Russell, not heard of David's Coach.  I would be open to taking it to him if I don't hurt the bus by driving it home 7 or 8 hours.  Gene would be about 2 hours from my house.

Marc

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »

Williams will make it good don't they have a few locations closer to your home if you let someone else do the work you will lose the money already spent if Williams does it you will get credit for the bucks spent that is why they have a insurance policy on each of the mechanics.
I told you on the phone I never saw a injector blow it did not take 1 of the 4 valves out along with the head and here I was thinking you were 1 lucky guy lol If you have a problem with the branch manger call Williams home office in Columbus Ohio 1-800-999-0933   

good luck
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:34:56 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 04:35:56 PM »

Williams will make it good don't they have a few locations closer to your home if you let someone else do the work you will lose the money already spent if Williams does it you will get credit for the bucks spent that is why they have a insurance policy on each of the mechanics.
I told you on the phone I never saw a injector blow it did not take 1 of the 4 valves out along with the head and here I was thinking you were 1 lucky guy lol   

good luck

I just can't believe they would put me back on the road running like this.  The closest other W.W.Williams to home is Columbia or Greer, SC, both 100+ miles away.  Would it be okay to drive it 400 miles to get there?  I just shouldn't have to do that.  It should have been fixed right in the first place.  I didn't take it to them to take a stab at fixing it, I wanted it fixed.  I guess I'll talk to them in the morning and see what they say.

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 04:48:29 PM »

Williams in Phoenix and Williams in Atlanta, both, have worked on my bus.  And they not only fixed it, but have offered to stand behind the work if not satisfied.

I would stick with Williams

BCO

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: