Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 09:54:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of the shop but does not quite seem the same...  (Read 7933 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2011, 07:10:20 AM »

So what is actually wrong with the engine?

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2011, 07:39:52 AM »

The injector failure won't break a compression ring no way can it reach the ring it buries in the head , chips a valve or buries in the dish on the piston fwiw 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2011, 07:55:07 AM »

Unfortunately, at this point in my life I am a diesel dum dum.  I will now throw my self on the mercy of the next shop.  I do have some good recommendations, so I am optimistic yet!

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
blank

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2011, 08:08:09 AM »

Unfortunately, at this point in my life I am a diesel dum dum.  I will now throw my self on the mercy of the next shop.  I do have some good recommendations, so I am optimistic yet!

I honestly would head for another Williams and let them try again. If the head honchos at the top are even half as decent as is suggested here by others, there is a very good chance they will stand behind this make it right for you. They have insurance for crap like this, you just have to pull their chain a lil.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2011, 08:33:07 AM »

Clifford is right on as usual, I have seen first hand what an injector ( RUN-A-MUK) can do up in there, huh Clifford Wink
 Keep the faith! Did they replace the injector tube also? smoke could be a non seated injector possibly?

Besides the visual inspections ( head, cylinder, oil pan) would an oil analysis be helpful? just trying to help. All the best! Wink   

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2011, 08:40:55 AM »

You know, thinking on this, we have so many tools now to do inspections.  We can inspect the compression rings through the air box cover (not the oil rings), we can see the liner, we can use those new digital camera on a plumbing snake tools to look up inside the cylinder and inspect the valves, etc.  There is just so much that can be done when you used to have to take things apart.

Good Luck!  you'll get it sorted for sure.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2011, 09:08:41 AM »

I have neve rgone into a decent shop that did not have Borescope I know Williams has those me being a average Joe I have one 300 bucks from Extech best 300 bucks you can spend next to a IR gun   

good luck

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »

He can do what ever he chooses but if Marc takes it to another shop with out a battle he is just out a 1000+ bucks the minute some other shop touches that engine best for him to settle the matter it not going to do anymore damage to engine if it takes him a year not like he needs to be in a big hurry he can drive the bus anywhere.

good luck
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:27:53 AM by luvrbus » Logged

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2011, 10:13:58 AM »

Clifford,

I have one of those cameras on a snake.  Got it from Harbor Freight and paid.....wait for it......$89.  It was on sale.  Normally they cost $40 more.  I think I scored.  I have already opened up a wall for a pocket door because of the nightmare I saw brewing inside with detached pipe insulation coming loose.  I also condemned one of my gas tanks because of what I saw in there and that saved me a lot of grief down the road.

I offered it to any that wanted to use it for whatever when I was up at Rickreall last year and had no takers.  I would think that curiosity would have driven some to open an air-box just to look see.  WVO burners should be curious, I would think.

I know yours is a better tool than mine and I can't use my display in bright sunlight.  I B happy tho.

John the seer

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2011, 11:42:42 AM »

$300, $89, hey you guys aren't supposed to tell how much money you paid for something!!! Oh wait! ....nobody asked you how much you paid, you just volunteered the info so i guess that is all right. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2011, 10:00:09 PM »

Sorry - I got to agree with Elvis - If a national company sticks their name out there as being an "expert" on DD's then they should darn well mean it - If Elvis' story is factual, this branch of Williams sounds more like parts replacers than trained technicians - If they inspected the bus and could not diagnose the problem they should have said so and given him the option of going elsewhere - Once they agreed to "fix" it they should have either "fixed" it or NOT CHARGED HIM - Once they accepted his money they "warranteed" their work - If he had gone to a shade tree mechanic charging a cheep hourly rate I can understand the 'you get what you pay for' mentality, but when you pay a shop rate 3 or 4 times that amount for "professional" expertise you should expect just that -  At this point Option 1 is to fix their mistake - Option 2 is to refund the money - They have done neither - My advise is to call Williams corporate headquarters and explain just as I have said - If you get no result call DD and tell them to have the DD factory authorized service sign removed from their business or for them (DD) to compensate you for your loss - Don't laugh - When NAPA years ago created their franchise service centers (not owned by NAPA) I needed my Vette tuned and the shop down the block had just been designated a NAPA Car Care Center - For convenience, and because at the time NAPA had a stellar reputation, I used their services - They almost destroyed my vehicle requiring me to bring it to the GM dealer to fix it - I sent a letter along with the documentation and my NAPA account # to the president of NAPA in Atlanta complaining about the service (damages) I recieved - Within one week I recieved a complete refund of my bill along with a letter of apology FROM THE PRESIDENT and the NAPA Car Care Center logo was removed from the location the next week - FWIW & HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: