Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 02:55:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheel lift wrecker for your toad?  (Read 2073 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2006, 11:35:41 AM »

Here's an idea I had a few years back.
Using a wrecker wheel lift as a method for towing a car.  There was no way to make it work on my 4104.  Perhaps on an Eagle or school bus, not sure about MCI.

You could tow any car without a dolly and there would only be one more axle on the ground, perhaps saving a little on tolls.

Here is one I found online; there are lots of others.

lhttp://www.dynamicmfg.com/dynamic_007.htm

What do you guys think?  I've never seen it done but if the back end of the bus can handle the stress it might just work.

FWIW

Len Silva

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 01:09:58 PM »

Len,

Where would the stinger retract to when not towing a vehicle?

I like your thinking!!  keep it up.

Nick Badame

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 01:14:10 PM »

Yeah, those units in the link you posted are designed for people who reposses cars for banks. Saw one being used on a news program a few years ago. They can get a car out of a parking lot in about 3 minutes. They don't even tie it down, just lift and go. They stop a few blocks away to tie it down. Safety.

Your tow hitch will need to be set up to support half the weight of the vehicle being towed. That's not typically the case on buses. Can be done, but requires more engineering.

Are tolls on that extra axle really a problem?

We've been trying to avoid the interstates more and more now that we have the bus. There's so much more to see than interstates, and we've driven them so much in the past we have some of them memorized. No desire to see them any more. We're trying to slow down more and enjoy the trip. It's no longer about just getting there to begin the vacation; the vacation starts when we leave home and the trip is part of it.

4-down is the easiest way to take a toad, in my opinion.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 01:21:21 PM »

Craig,

Some years back I owned a recovery co.
Mostly did illegal parks and road service, there was not a vehicle we couldn't access and remove!
The tools of the trade are awesome. A set of Go-Jacks and a stinger, 2-3 min. Load, lock, and roll.
Among untellable ways! LOL

Nick-

Yeah, those units in the link you posted are designed for people who reposses cars for banks. Saw one being used on a news program a few years ago. They can get a car out of a parking lot in about 3 minutes. They don't even tie it down, just lift and go. They stop a few blocks away to tie it down. Safety.

Your tow hitch will need to be set up to support half the weight of the vehicle being towed. That's not typically  the case on buses. Can be done, but requires more engineering.

Are tolls on that extra axle really a problem? 

We've been trying to avoid the interstates more and more now that we have the bus. There's so much more to see than interstates, and we've driven them so much in the past we have some of them memorized. No desire to see them any more. We're trying to slow down more and enjoy the trip. It's no longer about just getting there to begin the vacation; the vacation starts when we leave home and the trip is part of it.

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 02:02:36 PM »

Seemed like a dangerous job to me. Shocked

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 08:41:16 PM »

Your tow hitch will need to be set up to support half the weight of the vehicle being towed. That's not typically the case on buses. Can be done, but requires more engineering.

Considering the leverage, and the fact that most of the weight in popular toads is in the front 1/3 of the car, and factor in the "bounce," you'll be carrying (momentrarily perhaps) more than the weight of the car. A stinger off the rear of a bus is going to be a long device...?
May I suggest that if this is done on an MCI, it would take major re-engineering to attach such a load. Notwithstanding, more than a few older MCIs have pending frame failure in the proposed attaching area. The whole rear frame from above the radiators would have to be reinforced...on an MCi.. now maybe a Prevost or skoolie frame rails?? Believe a skoolie would be the ticket....you got real frame rails to work with. Problem solved. Gump can work out the details. Cheesy
Sorry for all this prattle...I'm headed for a "Full Doubleknot Membership!" Wink
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 10:08:33 AM »

Here's an idea I had a few years back.
Using a wrecker wheel lift as a method for towing a car.  There was no way to make it work on my 4104.  Perhaps on an Eagle or school bus, not sure about MCI.

You could tow any car without a dolly and there would only be one more axle on the ground, perhaps saving a little on tolls.

Here is one I found online; there are lots of others.

lhttp://www.dynamicmfg.com/dynamic_007.htm

What do you guys think?  I've never seen it done but if the back end of the bus can handle the stress it might just work.

FWIW

Len Silva

Len,

I saw with my own eyes, a stinger on the back of a Holiday Rambler. It was towing a full size chev. P.U. in a park in Fl.

Oooff. I didn't have my camra with me!  I asked the man who installed it, he said he did it himself.

It was a Vulcan wheel lift with a remote control box and the unit retracted into the rear of the coach.

I mentioned that I have a MCI bus that didn't have room for the stinger to retract, he stated that they have

a model that folds up behind the vehicle instead of retracting. I'll have to research this more!

I like this concept and the fellow stated that it takes him 4 min's to load, and less to unload... along with one less axel

to pay for at tolls.

Nick-

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: