Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 03:10:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my water pump broken??  (Read 3302 times)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 12:42:48 PM »

I think I need to start keeping notes on these potential failure modes, lol. Ah yes, the freewheeling water pump issue........

Dont the nut have a locking mechanism, a tabbed washer or something??
blank

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 12:45:18 PM »

Considering the cost of a cracked head or overheating to the point of an engine overhaul, don't fool around.  Replace the water pump and thermostats! Good Luck, TomC

I thought it was you and RJ and some others who said 190F was MAX temp on a DD?
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 12:54:17 PM »

I have always believed that 210 is the shutdown for wet sleeve motors and 215 for dry sleeve. Where did 190 come into the conversation?

Probably an inside joke between you guys I bet

RB

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 01:15:11 PM »

Like TomC said, I decided it's not worth the risk to save a few bucks in parts and a few hours labor.  It would be nice to be able to just slip on another impeller and tighten er up, but i'm not willing to take the chance.  I am going to go ahead and order a full kit which includes new impeller, new shaft and all associated bearings, gaskets and seals to do a complete rebuild.

a pump through mohawk is $679.  ouch

all new parts to replace everything inside the housing... $61.86  kind of a no brain er.  (that includes the impeller and shaft)

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 01:34:35 PM »

a pump through mohawk is $679.  ouch

all new parts to replace everything inside the housing... $61.86  kind of a no brain er.  (that includes the impeller and shaft)

Wow. More than $600 labor just to clean it up and put new parts in? And you know their gettin those parts for less than we are. Methinks some of our fellow countrymen are gettin to big for their britches. Just how much do they think they are worth these days?
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 06:04:04 PM »

Well all the new water pump parts finally came in so I took them all down to the machine shop and had them put it all together.  Every thing new but the housing and the gear.  I stood next to the guy while he did it with da book in hand with step by step instructions.  Put it back on the bus and filled er up.  There is a drip coming out the weep hole about every minute.  I am assuming that either the water seal didn't seal properly in the housing or there might have gotten some grit or something in between the seal and the insert.  he did apply a thin film of sealant to the metal lip of the seal as per da book.  I plan on ordering another water seal and impeller and replacing it my self, da book says it can be done without removing the pump from the engine.

question for clifford or don, or some other knowledgeable gear head....the book calls for using a seal puller set J 22150-B to remove the seal without taking the pump completely apart.  Is this tool necessary or can the seal be removed with common tools?  the shaft will still be in place while doing this.  I know some of these DD tools are hard to find, and usually pretty expensive to buy. 

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 01:08:25 PM »

Just use a regular gear puller  You might want to run it a bit the seal may seat itself.  good luck  Gerry

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 01:29:28 PM »

Derrick, you need to watch those after market seal kit is your made of stainless and carbon or brass 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
blank

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 07:28:46 PM »

Derrick, you need to watch those after market seal kit is your made of stainless and carbon or brass 

good luck

Along this line, where do you usually buy parts. Do you buy all OEM parts from the dealer? Just some? Is there anything aftermarket worthy?
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 07:40:08 PM »

Good aftermarket parts are out there just so much junk being sold on the net made in China and Mexico for the 2 strokes now some parts I only buy from DD you need to be careful there is a rash of valve failures going on now because of Mexican made valves they cup and go into the head, Derrick bought his kit for less than 1/2 of what I pay at DD but I only do it one time sorry Derrick lol

good luck

thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 08:39:37 PM »

I bought the parts from Mohawk.  The seal is stainless and carbon.  I made a 200 mile trip today.  Just a few miles into the trip the leak stopped.  When I parked it I got out the mirror and flash light and the weep hole is bone dry.  Been parked for about 8 hours now and still no leak.  Maybe it did seat itself like Gerry said.

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 06:11:10 AM »

That is a good seal Derrick hope it stays dry for you ,Mohawk does sell the good, bad and ugly I am real cautious when buying some parts from there they get most of the DD parts from Interstate/McBee

good luck

blank

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 10:34:42 AM »

So Luke at US coach, good place to buy GOOD parts?Huh
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2011, 04:51:20 PM »

It seems to be leaking again.  It was still dry several hours after shut down, but today it is wet again.  Looks like I will be tearing it apart after all.  Da book is absolutely adamant about being sure there is no dust or debris of any kind between the seal and the insert, or proper seal between the 2 surfaces will not be achieved.  Wonder if the machinist got something in there when he put it together?  Will see I guess.  Clifford, any special tricks up your sleeve for a successful seal replacement?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: