Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 12:03:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoking. Cracked ring...??? What to do  (Read 63986 times)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: March 30, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »

Curious, why not have Williams look at it? They surely had to R&R it to pull the head(s). If it wasnt charging when it left they should have told you. Does it have a charging light, any charge indicator?
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: March 30, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »

You don't remove the alternator on 05 Eagle to remove the head they set on drivers side behind the tail light door they stay there with even a engine removal and no wires to disconnect either

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: March 30, 2011, 11:23:26 AM »

Curious, why not have Williams look at it? They surely had to R&R it to pull the head(s). If it wasnt charging when it left they should have told you. Does it have a charging light, any charge indicator?

There is no alternator gage.  I am installing one.  I didn't know it wasn't charging myself for almost two hours.  Clifford seems to think the isolator is the problem.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: March 31, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »

Marc, Clifford is the real King!  Wink Grin

Thank ya very much Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: March 31, 2011, 01:58:32 PM »

Yes, Clifford was right....  again Cheesy  Kudos to Cory as well for recognizing the non-ignition wire alternator.

So here we are...  47 days after the purchase, (41 of which were in the shop), and $4,100 spent, we are home with the bus!  All is well except for needing a new battery isolator, 20 lug nut covers that were never reinstalled after the tow, and a chrome tailpipe extension we lost on the way....  (By the way, the lug nut covers are the 1-1/2 inch type in case anybody needs to buy some).

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 02:27:41 PM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: March 31, 2011, 02:02:51 PM »

Marc, don't buy a isolator just use solenoids a lot cheaper no way would I have a isolator in my charging system loop after the starting batteries maybe lol

good luck
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 02:19:11 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: March 31, 2011, 02:13:41 PM »

Yes, Clifford was right....  again Cheesy  Kudos to Cory as well for recognizing the non-ignition wire alternator.

So here we are...  47 days after the purchase, (41 of which were in the shop), and $4,100 spent, we are home with the bus!  All is well except for needing a new battery isolator and 20 lug nut covers that were never reinstalled after the tow....  (By the way, they are the 1-1/2 inch type in case anybody needs to buy some).

Marc.. Glad you finally got the Beauty home.. Once you get her all settled in, give me a call because I'd love for you to give me a tour of her.

Jimmy

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: March 31, 2011, 02:20:30 PM »

Hey not bad $4100 for 41 days in the shop! I wish I could get my buses in & out of a shop for just $100 a day! (jest kidding)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: March 31, 2011, 02:28:46 PM »

Marc.. Glad you finally got the Beauty home.. Once you get her all settled in, give me a call because I'd love for you to give me a tour of her.

Jimmy

Will do Jimmy.  Would love to finally meet you.

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: March 31, 2011, 02:35:16 PM »

Hey not bad $4100 for 41 days in the shop! I wish I could get my buses in & out of a shop for just $100 a day! (jest kidding)
Grin  BK  Grin

Yeah, I think I would take that deal... $100 for a day's work at a diesel shop...  Kind of gets rough after 40 days though. Shocked Shocked Shocked

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: March 31, 2011, 02:36:31 PM »

Marc, don't buy a isolator just use solenoids a lot cheaper no way would I have a isolator in my charging system loop after the starting batteries maybe lol

good luck

Cheaper is better, that's for sure... Why no isolator?  Not needed?

uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: March 31, 2011, 06:27:20 PM »

Just found out why it takes so long to get from Texas to Charlotte NC. It was the passenger's fault.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: March 31, 2011, 08:04:21 PM »

Uh oh.... Sounds like someone's telling tales.

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: March 31, 2011, 08:41:34 PM »

good luck

Cheaper is better, that's for sure... Why no isolator?  Not needed?

Any "solid state" device has a voltage drop.  If you install a isolator in a system to separate the bats you must, by doing so, put a silicon union in series with the bat.  That means that while the alternator is putting out a full 13.5 volts to maintain your bats charge your bat is actually seeing only 13...... or 13.5 minus .5.  The real numbers are a hundredth of a volt different but you get the idea.

To make this system work you need to relocate the "charge voltage sense line" from the alt + term way out to the "bat plus terminal".  That way the alt will jack up its charge voltage till it sees the voltage at the bat rise to the level God intended.

NOW, having said all that there are still a couple flys in the ointment.  !)  The isolator is a electrical device and as we know they are not all the same.  Basically, a isolator is just a couple big diodes hooked together.  Diodes have a peculiar current rating and as that current rating goes up the cost of the isolator goes up much faster.  Costs are always turbocharged like that.  Lets see now, you have an alternator that cranks out 300 amps and it will put that current into the bat maybe never but a couple hundred is a for sure if you have a 50 and the bats are dead.  Check the price on the isolator that you need....current wise.  Those top-o-the-line solenoids rated for continuous duty are 15 or 20 bucks and that is your alternative.  That system requires that a solenoid be placed across the +12 start bat bank to the +12 house bat bank.  The second is .....?   Need I say more?

Regardless of what you decide you should run that wire from the bat + to the regulator, internal t the alt or external,   Measure with a voltmeter from the regulator to the 12+ and see the voltage that you are missing.  Now try to do that test with the bat drawing 200 amps of charge.  Get it?  Run the wire.

OR.... Call Ace and see if all this can be done using pneumatic circuit for the air horn. Huh??  Couldn't resist, Ace Grin  Still luv ya. Tongue    (WHOA Nellie!  Easy girl.)

John

Oh by the way.  I have a 75 amp Cole Hersy isolator for sale CHEAP.  Give a holler. Cool

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: April 02, 2011, 07:29:50 AM »

Well "Big Red" has finally settled into her assigned parking space.  I had to take down a tree and trim several others to make way for her.  I have two driveways, and the neighbors on the side where she was temporarily parked are rejoicing now that her profile no longer eclipses the sun from their property.   Grin.

Boy, backing into the drive will take some practice!  On the third try I finally got the correct angle to cut the turn.  Black&White backup camera doesn't help much when all you see are trees and bushes.  Glad nobody was watching while I worked it out.  LOL... Well, my wife was watching, but we don't get embarrassed around each other.  She sure didn't want to be the one backing her up!!!!  Now we are on the road to pick up a new leather sleeper sofa to replace the house style day bed the PO had in there.  The fun begins!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:51:27 AM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: