Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 12:13:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoking. Cracked ring...??? What to do  (Read 65514 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2011, 02:02:52 PM »

Jump,

You should have been called by the Prez seeing as he is involved.  That any shop person called you is a bad sign....to me.  Attitudes do not flow UP hill.  They flow down.  

Sadly,  I think you are into plan "B".   You never ever go there till you can "prove" that you have exhausted all other avenues of redress with the principles.  Any SOB will immediately start writing letters asking for help on your behalf and making all the appropriate phone calls....once.

If you don't get a call that they are soprry and will pay the bill then you should get that bus out of there and into a shop that will help you with the documentation you will need.  If you take it out then get the name of a truly dispicable SOB.  Contrary to common opinion they  almost always only come out of it with damages to cover your loss and pay their fee.  Do a "free" consultation and ask what kind of info he needs from the repair shop to support your claim against W.

I hope someone on here can refer you to the worst AH they have ever heard of.   The guy that rapes the opposition.  99.99 times they only get back "most" of your expenses and a modest fee....BUT THEY WIN.  Once W gets a certified letter from the BAD AXX imloring them to do the right thing then it starts to happen.  Their att will advise them to settle and pay expenses and "do the right thing".  This isn't megabuckville and a fight will cost them a lot also.  Your SOB can clarify all this.

So who should he call or who can he call to find out who to call?

Don't start any of this if you made some mistakes you forgot to mention for any reason as every attorney I ever drank Scotch with reamed anyone that misrepresented no matter if the client were idiots or corrupt in there information.  I think that is where the bad rep comes from, at least partly.  Even if you don't use him for any legal work, you should, at this point CYA and get legal advice cause, first and foremost, I can't give it and nobody that I know of here can either.

Fuel doesn't make sparks out the EX.  Steel being shreded does, however and I think many here knew that all was not going to be well after they heard that report. It is plausible that your valves were alright when you arrived at the first W shop and were damaged in the drive "from" the first W shop to the next one.  Get that oil checked ASAP.

Good luck to you,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2011, 02:13:04 PM »

I disagree with BK, and that is rare.  Don't mention this site or his loosing other customers.  And get a SOBs advice on paying the current bill or anything else.  You are out of your depth and I am out of your depth, as well.  Time for the A team.

Sorry about how this is working out for you.  Quit worrying and let the Pro earn his keep.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2011, 02:20:59 PM »

Let me stick this in there real quick...

YES, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY 100% FOR SURE FUEL IN THE OIL!!!!

I may not be a diesel expert, but I'm not an idiot.  If I had a magical engine that produced oil from thin air, I would be a millionaire! 

When the oil dripped on the cloth it acted like water.  And it smelled like fuel.  What they are saying is complete B.S.!

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2011, 02:24:52 PM »

The regional manager called and here's the deal they are offering...

They want me to commit to the repair and proceed with removing the head, knowing there is at least a problem with a valve.  He said only then could they can give me a true repair estimate.

I told him I did not want to commit to that until I knew how they were going to mitigate our losses.  He called back saying the Montgomery branch is willing to refund all the money from the first bill in the form of a credit to be applied to the new bill.

The "ballpark" estimate is $4500 before the Montgomery is applied.  So take away the Montgomery bill and the tow, and we get an estimate of about $2,300 for the actual repair assuming it needs a re-manufactured head.  The head being about $900 by itself.

They are waiting for my answer and I am trying to decide whether or not to go with this.  Personally, I don't think it's enough. What about my 10 days of out of town expenses, lost time and income while they strung me along day by day?  

In my side-line business, I refurbish sewing machines and sell them.  I have sold over 2,000 sewing machines over the past few years.  On more than one occasion, things have gone wrong.  Machines arrive broken, people are difficult, whatever.  In those cases, I am willing to take a loss to keep the peace.  I have on more than one occasion eaten both the cost of the machine and the shipping.  I was hoping I could expect the same from Williams.  They are offering less than I do in my own business.

I know some of you are willing to take things further than me.  I have enough to worry about in my life (see my off-topic post "lifeline or noose")  In my way of thinking, you cannot make somebody do something they don't want to do.  

I do not want to pay that tow Coach-net membership notwithstanding.  Had they done their job in Montgomery, a tow would never have been necessary!  They are trying to say there was no fuel in the oil, and in essence, that the bus could have been driven.  I absolutely reject that.  I will insist on an oil test if necessary, but the only reason I even called them is because it was "making oil".

I don't really know what else I can do with these guys.  I am not really satisfied with the offer, but I don't really know what else I can feasibly do.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2011, 02:47:40 PM »

I'd get them started right away.

Document everything that was / is done. Get the oil sample asap.  (you )

Start negotiating the bill fresh when it is sitting outside running.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:08:38 PM by Paso One » Logged

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »

That is going to be a tough call Marc I pretty much guarantee you will need a head, work on him for the wrecker fee they paid about 1/2 of that and you are not going to do much better than 900 bucks on a Relibilt head from DD they won't buy off the self from another supplier also work on him for the labor they control all of that with the other branch offering credit they are trying to find away out of this mess created in Montgomery so both sides will be happy

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
chart1

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2011, 02:50:57 PM »

I would not say anything to them about oil sample go back there and get one yourself. Otherwise they will give you a bogus oil sample knowing that there is fuel in the oil. Your right it doesn't take a rocket scientest to tell if your engine is filling up with fuel. Thats one reaseon they put dipsticks in the engine 1. to see if you need oil 2. to detect a problem of being to full then the only question is why is it to full. 1. would be antifreeze leaking in (oil would be milky) 2. Fuel leaking in (which would make the oil have the consistancy of water).They have already admitted to them doing something wrong by offering to put the Montgomery bill towards a higher bill at their shop. Ask them to put that in writing then after you get that in writing tell them you only want the work the other shop done correctly. Maybe you burned a valve after leaving the montgomery shop because the engine was sucking air back in the exhaust from not being hooked back up.

1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2011, 02:52:01 PM »

We know a place (I won't say which one, or who, but it was an authorized Detroit shop), but they wrote off pretty much all of the labour on a 8K bill, for pretty much no reason.

They can do it.....

Also, see if somebody in Atlanta can get you a sample, like Chart was saying. Just show up, and get it.

FWIW

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2011, 03:03:21 PM »

He didn't burn a valve the tip from the injector took it out not much room for metal from a injector to pass in that area on a DD with no intake valves  best of luck to you Marc some times your the bug and next time you are the windshield I would be willing to wager a private owned shop is not going to be much cheaper when all is said and done man I feel bad for you 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »

That is going to be a tough call Marc I pretty much guarantee you will need a head, work on him for the wrecker fee they paid about 1/2 of that and you are not going to do much better than 900 bucks on a Relibilt head from DD they won't buy off the self from another supplier also work on him for the labor they control all of that with the other branch offering credit they are trying to find away out of this mess created in Montgomery so both sides will be happy

good luck

Well I did get Coach-net on Friday before we left...  LOL...  But does anybody know if there is a waiting period before it kicks in? 

I have been doing a lot of thinking since I spoke with the guy.  I have in mind to ask him two questions...

1) If W.W. Williams in Montgomery had done it's job, would a tow have been necessary at all?

2) Is your time any more valuable than mine?  If not, labor should be free just like my time was lost waiting    for 10 days in Montgomery.

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2011, 03:29:19 PM »

Marc,

For us Coachnet was effective the day after you sign up (or it might be midnight of that day).

I feel really sorry for you, man. I agree, doesn't seem like enough, but I don't know. Could you try to maybe squeeze more out of them? Probably, but then again, you don't have too much bargaining power, since you aren't there....

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2011, 03:47:42 PM »

Well I think Williams should foot the bill for the tow, but if it comes down to it, I will contact Coach-Net about reimbursing me for it.

I am trying to be pragmatic about it all.  I agree with Clifford...  At this point,I don't think I would be any better off starting over.  What I am really trying to get compensation for is my lost time and aggravation. 

It will all be okay.  Don't feel sorry for me.  Life is good, God is good.

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2011, 03:52:16 PM »

Well now wait a minute!!!!

I just got some great news that will really us help pay the bill!!!

I just found out by email that I have won the U.K. Lottery again!  I won $15,500,000!!!!

My troubles are over!!!!!!   Woohooooo! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

gmbusguy1

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2011, 03:57:22 PM »

Marc, I am with Clifford on the damage being done when the injector tip went through the valve. yes Coachnet kicks in right away and you can ask them to pay your tow bill however it is my experience that Coachnet will probably only pay an amount equal to a tow to the nearest qualified repair facility.

I would have them do the repair with a written estimate and written warranty but I would try to negotiate a little more reduction in the refund/credit from Montgomery.

The cost does not seem out of line to replace the head especially using a DD Reliabuilt Head

I would be prepared for more expense when the head is removed as there could be damage to the liner or piston as well  

The technician needs to find out from where the Fuel in the crankcase came

GOOD LUCK

Chris
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »

Re: the $15,500,000 is only payable in CANADIAN funds.

So, feel free to sign the back of the cheque and send it to me here.
I would be more than happy to convert it to U.S. greenbacks  for you and send them back.... Wink

Hope your days start improving from now on.....

Mark

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: