Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 27, 2014, 11:27:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoking. Cracked ring...??? What to do  (Read 58891 times)
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 07:50:52 AM »

The head has to come off regardless. So pull the head, look at the valves. If nothing wrong with the valves, then take the oil pan off to push the liner/piston up and replace the rings or more if needed. And while you're there, you might as well look at the bearings and replace them. And the engine is half apart now, it is not that much of a jump to a complete inframe...LOL.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
blank

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 07:57:03 AM »

The mechanic should have noticed the injector was missing parts when it was pulled, and it is possible it may NOT have dropped a part until it WAS pulled. And quite unlike any other engine, he could have pulled a side cover (inspection port) and looked around inside through the liner transfer ports, inspected the rings and piston, located any loose pieces that may have been in there, ran a magnet around, looky see'ed around with a bore scope and mirror through the injector hole and ports and inspected the valves, blown it out with air, and ran a leak down test. Any physical damage shold have been visable. A leak down test AFTER the visual inspection will verify that the cylinder is sound. Its a piston engine, and just like any other piston engine, a leakage test will show compression losses.

While it is as yet unknown if it wasnt inspected, the fact they are surmising a cracked ring is evidence they didnt look. And we already know they didnt do a compression test or leakdown. Starting that engine back up without having physically looking for debris after knowing physical debris entered into the cylinder is incompetance. If you have even a basic understanding of auto mechanics, you should know better than that. It is then quite possible they started that motor up and did further damage.

This has nothing at to do with the company itself, the entire result falls squarely on the mechanic or his overseer. But hes only human. Hopefully the big dogs running the show will step up and make this right.
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 08:01:52 AM »

This has nothing at to do with the company itself, the entire result falls squarely on the mechanic or his overseer. But hes only human. Hopefully the big dogs running the show will step up and make this right.

I agree with this.  Their policy is good, but the service writer wanted me out of there.  It was easy to see.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 08:45:20 AM »

If you are on your way to Gene's then your troubles will be over.

He will make it right.  Check out his coach while there.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2011, 09:45:03 AM »

Marc -

As Clifford and others have said, you need to let another Williams shop try to make it right for you - BEFORE you take it to Gene's.

Once you let another company/individual touch the engine, Williams will wash their hands of it.

I also think you need to let Williams corporate know about how you were treated by the service writer.  (A lot of those guys work on commission, so if something comes back, they don't make any money.)

We're on your side!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 02:27:57 PM »

RJ  I think if you tell gene the whole story he will recommend him in the right direction.

If he thinks Williams did something wrong he will let him know.

He is like most small business's We cannot let a bad deal fall on us.

Our reputation is important to us not like a huge corp. that keeps on going.

uncle ned

gene or david will look at the engine and tell him what is what and most likley not charge him for checking hoping to make him a steady customer.

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 02:49:28 PM »

Well I agree with Uncle Ned, Clifford and most others here !

What ? You say, I can't agree with ALL of them @ once? Ah, but I can.

I believe Uncle Ned is DEAD RIGHT on Gene or David telling Marc the best way to handle it!

I also agree with Clifford about letting CORP know about it! (they may even pay Gene or David to fix it since Marc was more or less "booted" out the door in Montgomery!

Now I also agree with Clifford that the way Marc was treated was not normal. But OTH I have had 2 similar experiences where a coach was said to be fixed right and the drivers let not knowing any better and got an hour or more down the road before discovering it wasn't. In those cases it was easier to keep the bus rolling and take it to the next closest convenient Williams shop and have it looked at! (of course by this time I had been notified and had done had my words with the original shop, CORP and the shop it was going to)
Upon arriving @ the next shop my drivers and I were treated 100% like royalty and they jumped right on it, went out of their way to make sure the drivers were shuttled to hotel, meals, etc. and I was kept 100% in the loop as to what was going on, found and fixed!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2011, 06:04:46 PM »

BREAKING NEWS...

Well, earlier today I decided to start heading home with the bus.  I was going to call Williams corporate as soon as I got the chance and stop at W.W. Williams in Greer, SC to see if they could help.  That would have been just 120 miles from home.  I got 65 miles down I-85, stopped for fuel and checked the oil.  It had dumped a gallon of diesel into the crankcase in about an hour! 

Clifford said it sounded like the fuel line on the injector was leaking.  I called Williams in Atlanta, which is about 70 miles from where we currently are parked.  I gave him the quick version of my experience and he said do not drive it any further, that they would have it towed to Atlanta.  They were going to have a mobile tech come out, but said no matter what, the oil would need to be changed before it was driven anyway.

He said if it was something they did, they would take care of it... If not, I would be charged for the repair and the tow.  Sure hope they see things my way.  The tow company will be here in the morning, so it's a Wal-Mart campout tonight on the border of Georgia and Alabama.

I wonder if I should stay with the bus or go back to Montgomery which is just an hour from here.... 

Marc

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2011, 06:17:20 PM »

If it were me, I would stay with your coach. Sure hope things start turning around for you soon.

You are getting great advice here.

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 07:29:28 PM »

I dont know how bad news can be good news, but I think this is very good news. And I would definetly go with your Bus and stay until you see which direction it takes. I think if your expectations are resonable, they can fix whats wrong and put you back on the road in no time. Good luck.

TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 07:44:01 PM »

. . .I got 65 miles down I-85, stopped for fuel and checked the oil.  It had dumped a gallon of diesel into the crankcase in about an hour!  

Clifford said it sounded like the fuel line on the injector was leaking.  I called Williams in Atlanta, which is about 70 miles from where we currently are parked.  I gave him the quick version of my experience and he said do not drive it any further, that they would have it towed to Atlanta.  They were going to have a mobile tech come out, but said no matter what, the oil would need to be changed before it was driven anyway.

He said if it was something they did, they would take care of it... If not, I would be charged for the repair and the tow.  Sure hope they see things my way.  The tow company will be here in the morning. . .

I don't know. . . This isn't the greatest situation either.

Jumpsuitman has a lot on the line here, possibly picking up a very expensive tow and a commitment for further work at non-negotiable rates.

It wouldn't take much more than basic skills and tools  to pull a cover and see if one of the connecting lines are leaking. Also, what if it's found that there is an internal leak, but, unrelated to the previous work? Too bad that cover couldn't be pulled before a tow is scheduled. After all, it's just two bolts, may not even require a wrench.

From the top Jumpsuit,  are you very sure that it's fuel topping-off the crankcase and not an overfill? I forgot how close to home you are now, but maybe that'd be the place to aim for, then you could work through a diagnosis without the costs and pressures of being stuck on the road.

---

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:00:05 PM by TedsBUSted » Logged

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially 04 or 06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 07:59:43 PM »

It takes quite a bit of work to remove the right hand valve cover on a 8v71 in a Eagle trust me you don't do it 5 minutes he made the right call it will be on Williams by not replacing the fuel lines with the injector like they are supposed to do

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
chart1

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »

it is a big deal on his coach. there is no clearance on the problem side to pull the valve cover, looks like he might have to pull blower.

1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 08:04:04 PM »

You have to remove the complete air horn or the blower I remove the 2 piece air horn myself

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2011, 08:08:05 PM »

Well the tight clearance changes everything.

Of course I still wonder if for sure fuel's leaking?

---

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially 04 or 06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: