Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 09:26:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cruise Control  (Read 1274 times)
txjeff

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2011, 08:03:01 AM »

My accelerator pedal tends to be stiff and hang up occasionally. I have been thinking about changing my throttle to air instead of cable to make things smoother. One of the questions I have is if the cruise control can be used since it connects to the pedal linkage?

jeff
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:35:10 AM by txjeff » Logged

73 MC-7combo
Brenham, Texas
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »

If you have a mechanical linkage you can use a King Cruise and it will work just fine installed at the engine BUT if you have an air throttle and mechanical throttle it will still connect to the engine so about one and the same --- I have an L10 with and air throttle an had an issue at the engine linkage

HTH

YMMV

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:53:26 AM »

My accelerator pedal tends to be stiff and hang up occasionally. I have been thinking about changing my throttle to air instead of cable to make things smoother. One of the questions I have is if the cruise control can be used since it connects to the pedal linkage?

jeff

I assume that the MCI is similar to the GM cable in a tube set up.  If that's the case, just service it and lubricate by the book and it will be smooth as silk.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:23:43 AM »

yep use the same hookup it will work fine

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 09:30:52 AM »

Another consideration before going to air is the transmission,, if you have a stick trans you will NOT like the air throttle.>>>Dan ( If automatic it wont matter)

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 10:55:18 AM »

The sticking is something to investigate.  If it can be lubed away, that part of the problem is solved.  We took a long trip back in September, and I had some complaints about leg fatigue from having to keep the pedal down.  Of course, a cruise control would solve that.  However, I decided to do a little experiment first.  I cut a wedge out of a 2x3 that is about the length of the accelerator and duct taped it to the pedal.  Now, instead of needing to extend the foot to keep the pedal depressed, my foot is in a basically neutral position when up to speed.  In exchange, I must flex my foot to lift off the pedal.  On our last trip, I did not find that old fatigue to be an issue.  Another advantage is that changing the level of the foot on the pedal completely changes it's angle, which also helps reduce fatigue.  It might not work for you, but then maybe you could find another use for the wedge so it won't be a total waste.  The duct tape will, of course, be sacrificed.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
txjeff

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 01:32:44 PM »

Thanks for the replies.....I didnt think about moving the cruise to the engine area (its up front in the spare tire area now) might be a possibility. I half heartedly lubed the cable about a year ago but it still causes leg fatigue on the longer trips along with the other issues. I might try the block idea and properly lube the cable, should be cheaper and easier than replacing the whole setup.

jeff

73 MC-7combo
Brenham, Texas
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 01:37:36 PM »

Using an air throttle will not only eliminate the sticking problem, your pedal pressure will be WAY less.  But will have some throttle response lag time.  I have a King Cruise Control on my transit and simply love it.  You can use it as a fast idle too.  I also have the air throttle, but since I have the Allison V730 with air operated throttle modulator on the transmission, I simply made an extension plate for the gas pedal with a larger then the cable hole in it and run the King Cruise from the gas pedal.  The cable goes down through the floor and then up again in the cabinet in front of the passenger seat under the windshield.  Then the control box is also protected from wet (unlike when it is mounted in the engine compartment).  If you have a manual transmission, then you can run the control box in the engine compartment.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 02:45:07 PM »

I just installed a hand throttle on my 4107 with air throttle but haven't yet tried it.

I had the original hand throttle on my 4104 which I used for a cruise, never had any problems with it although it isn't a true cruise by any stretch. Sure helps keep the ole leg from getting numb though.

Question; on my 4107 there is a gap of about 1/4" between the roller on the accelerator pedal and the air throttle cyl lever. Is that much gap supposed to be there?

Seems like a lot of space to me. Funny thing is that I never noticed it until I was attaching the hand throttle to the pedal!

As posted above, the air throttle lag is not noticeable with the AT but I don't think I would like it with the 4sp.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 05:46:33 AM »

Question; on my 4107 there is a gap of about 1/4" between the roller on the accelerator pedal and the air throttle cyl lever. Is that much gap supposed to be there?

Seems like a lot of space to me. Funny thing is that I never noticed it until I was attaching the hand throttle to the pedal!

I have one sitting here in front of me that has the same approx 1/4 inch  gap between the roller and wedge. (Its a Williams)

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
gus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 02:30:24 PM »

Paso,

Thanks, that must be the correct gap. Funny that I never noticed it while driving.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: