Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 07:31:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing wheel bearings, and a question!  (Read 710 times)
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2006, 02:43:45 AM »

I've been rebuilding the front suspension on the bus, I started with wheel bearings on the passenger side, it has taken me about 2 weeks to disassemble, blast, and paint, then replace bearings and seal! Now the question when i took the bearing cap off, the nut that holds and tightens the wheel bearing was locked in place with a washer that bends up to lock it in place, the nut was not tight, or I should say it was as i expected it to be on a regular car or truck.  When I started working on the drivers side wheel, the same nut took a pipe wrench to loosen!  Big difference between both sides. Now there is a large threaded washer that holds the correct pressure on the bearings, all the nut that I'm taking about serves as a locking device......just how tight should the outer lock nut be?......................As always thanks!           Pat

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 04:07:10 AM »

The outer locking nut, I tighten fairly tight to a place where I can bend the locking washer over the flat on the nut. All this nut is doing is holding the lock in place to hold the inter nut.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: