Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 11:58:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing wheel bearings, and a question!  (Read 761 times)
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2006, 02:43:45 AM »

I've been rebuilding the front suspension on the bus, I started with wheel bearings on the passenger side, it has taken me about 2 weeks to disassemble, blast, and paint, then replace bearings and seal! Now the question when i took the bearing cap off, the nut that holds and tightens the wheel bearing was locked in place with a washer that bends up to lock it in place, the nut was not tight, or I should say it was as i expected it to be on a regular car or truck.  When I started working on the drivers side wheel, the same nut took a pipe wrench to loosen!  Big difference between both sides. Now there is a large threaded washer that holds the correct pressure on the bearings, all the nut that I'm taking about serves as a locking device......just how tight should the outer lock nut be?......................As always thanks!           Pat

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 04:07:10 AM »

The outer locking nut, I tighten fairly tight to a place where I can bend the locking washer over the flat on the nut. All this nut is doing is holding the lock in place to hold the inter nut.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: