Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 09:04:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: building a bus barn  (Read 7496 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 12:07:17 PM »

I plan to build a removable ramp in my shop, rather than a pit.  I figure 2 feet of clearance will be easy enough using rail road ties or similar, and pretty useful.  And I can take it apart again if no longer needed, with appropriate power tools of course...  Smiley

My big thing is to be able to measure the rear brake slack adjustment without having to take the rear wheels off.  I figure I may have to build a hot-wheels creeper!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »

When I built my shop, the pit was an additional $3000.00. It was only 24 feet long so I could only work on one end at a time.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 12:20:24 PM »

I checked one of my Wal/Mart job records would you believe  97 dollars a sq ft 8 years ago probably well over a 100 now

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 12:22:42 PM »

I like Clifford's Pole Bldg. solution.  Also consider making that pole bldg with 6 X 6 "poles".  I have a friend back in Pa. that did that.  He paid a crew to come in and erect the bldg then he installed 6 inches of foam board and wrapped the bld in plastic then put up alu siding.  His ceiling is dropped to the eve height and he has 4 feet or so of glass piled into that ceiling.  His roll-up door is 3 or 4 inches thick and is specked for North Dakota.  In the summer around noon and after sitting over night with out anybody in it or having any doors opened you get a serious chill when you go in.  Now that is insulation performance.  He has not a single window or skylight and it is 40 X 60.  He had the pole bld inspected after it was built with a county permit and a couple months later started on the concrete and finish work.  Took him a couple weeks but he is spry or was then.  I think he built a very large thermos bottle. Grin

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 06:45:51 PM »

David check with Impact in your area( San Antiono) 888-442-4140 I bought my 40x60  every nut, bolt,plans for my area 2 -14ft roll up doors, 1-side door,6 skylights, insulation package and instructions for less than 13,000 delivered to AZ  

good luck

They have gone up a few dollars.  I got quotes from Mueller, Impact, and MetalDepots.com for a 30x50x16 with one 12x14 door, one 10x10 door, one 3'0"x7'0" entry door, 4 windows, no insulation for just under $17k (no slab)  That is for the kit only with my installation.  Yes, I have to get an engineered slab.  I'm in the city.  All 3 quotes were within $200.  That almost sounds like collusion.

I'd like it bigger, but the annual taxes on this rascal will be about 3% based on an appraisal district rate at about $20 per sq ft.  That will be 20x1500x.03= $900 year  I hope the bus is out of the building on the road more than inside, but I have always wanted a small woodshop. Tongue

I'd almost rather spend $900 on fuel.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 07:50:22 PM »

One word of advice I can offer is go ahead and spring for a 14X14 door! The extra 2 feet is worth it !

We didn't realize how much we loved them until we moved into our new shop and went from 14X14 to 14X12!

It sure was nice to have the extra 2 feet especially when backing in on a super bright day or rainy night and it's hard to see inside the building in the mirrors! JMHO!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 08:10:05 PM »

14x14 are nice that is what I wanted but the powers that be here would only let me have 12 wide

good luck

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »

"the powers that be here would only let me have 12 wide"  Huh Huh Huh  And that would be...your wife?  Heck. she let you have a heliocopter. Grin

Sighed anonymous

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
papatony

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 09:30:49 PM »

I did a Quonset hut type 25'X40' with a 15' pit turn key 6" slab for about 11,000. Indeed 5 more ft. would have been better for a 4106 but it served its purpose.  Don't let anyone talk you out of a pit. What ever it cost it will be ten times more The building was galvanized built to with stand 125 mph winds. think about it.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »

Yeah Clifford I know what ya mean. I had 12X12 in my first shop, and then got spoiled to a bigger shop that was 150X75 and had 2-18X20's across from each other and 1- 18X18 on one end.
Then we moved out into the country where we had the 60X40 with 2-14X14 side by side and a pit on one side!  

I do miss both the 14X14's and the pit! I'm going to be putting my pit in the lean-to side as soon as I have the $ & the time together! (seems like I either have one or the other or neither!)
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 09:38:59 PM »

Tony & I were typing at the same time and I agree no matter how little you use it. You will absolutely the pit.
Shoot we used to even use the one in UC as a storm shelter when the tornado warning were out!
Felt purty dang good to be in that pit with flash lights, deck of cards, a cooler of water and some PB crackers with a bus parked over it knowing that there was a tornado coming through.
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 10:18:58 PM »

Its the water part that is hard to swallow(pun intended). Grin  And just what the heck is a PB cracker?  Is that like a 'Bamma Cracker?".  Why do they all talk so funny?  (spoken in New York City;D)

John

—Pla
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 03:55:05 AM »

Its the water part that is hard to swallow(pun intended). Grin  And just what the heck is a PB cracker?  Is that like a 'Bamma Cracker?".  Why do they all talk so funny?  (spoken in New York City;D)

John

Peanut Butter! (I thought every body knew what PB or PB&J were!)
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 07:38:35 AM »

The powers that be would be is Mohave County AZ bunch of jerks John Ed,my building is rated for 125 mph winds that is why they wanted the narrow doors,David those building have gone way up in 6 years wow hard to believe the increase in price

good luck

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 07:43:02 AM »

Didn't occur to me at the time.  Now PB&J, that is one that wouldn't get past me.  At least not till I get a little older. Tongue

Now, just what did "water" stand for? Huh

This post is getting saturated with wit.  That or sum'n.  (sarcasm)   water & saturated= segue wit. Grin

John

—Pla
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: