Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 07:11:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: building a bus barn  (Read 7446 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 08:01:53 AM »

Ooooooowww, Clifford.  I'll put my city bld and construction inspectors up against your any time.  I'll put $10 on my team winning hands down and I will let YOU be the only judge. 

I had my go around with building spec when I was working for the Navy.  I built a 80 foot tall radio transmitting antenna way out in a field overlooking the sea cliffs and it had to withstand 140 mph winds.  When was the last time you heard of anything like that hitting S. Kalifornia?  None the less.  Actually, considering that the thing was on USMC land they handled everything like that for me and kept me advised.  Absolutely the finest group of people I have ever had the personal pleasure to work with or even have heard of.  "When it absolutely, positively MUST be destroyed over night.....USMC".

Door size and wind speed?  Are they looking at the wind hitting the open door and "blowing up" the entire building?  I find it hard to believe that there are no doors that would not stand that wind load.  I find it easy to believe that the County engineers would not know about it or deny their existence.  Sorry for your burden, Clifford.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 08:32:57 AM »

Or build it dirt cheap http://annesley.wordpress.com/earthbag-building-photo-blog/

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 01:01:03 PM »

How about stick framing.  I have about 250 eighteen foot 2x6 boards I just pulled out of a building demo.  I can make the 16' walls, order some engineered wood trusses from Timbertek and have a frame to put the metal on.  I don't think our city requires engineered specs on a wood building done for private use.  I am a bit hesitant to have such a tall building with only 4 walls (one side nearly all doors) and no interior walls. You think it would blow away like a kite?  

David
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:32:49 PM by David Anderson » Logged
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »

Laminate the boards and you would have 4 X 6 X 18 and that is bigger than the 4 X 4 that I usually see.  Glue and screw and the pole will be stronger than a solid single board of the same dimension.  Put the poles in with the 6 inch surface perpendicular to the wall so you can get 6 inches of insulation.

The areas with doors are overbuilt and have braces integrated into the wall.  I think you are all right.  Building permit shop will answer that question...point blank.

HTH,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 05:50:17 PM »

sketchup drawing  30x50x16
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 06:47:07 PM »

sketchup 40x50x16
Pete359EX
86 Prevost XL

any excuse to buy new tools

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2011, 04:37:08 AM »

Try 64 Metals. Good looking buildings, similar to Morton Buildings.
Fred

Fred, 1986 Prevost XL, just beginning...Plans for roof raise, slide-outs, extension to 45', and maybe repower to CAT.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2011, 04:42:14 AM »

My buildings are stick-built, 2 by 6 16 foot walls, engineered trusses.  The big one is 65 feet wide, clear span, 55 feet deep.  This is in Nova Scotia where they do get hurricanes every couple of years.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 05:11:26 AM »

Try 64 Metals. Good looking buildings, similar to Morton Buildings.
Fred

Our shop is a Morton Building, it is called a Country Classic, nice buildings.  We call it the "Eagles Nest" not to be confused with the Bus Club.

BCO

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2011, 07:40:31 AM »

Guys, The only thing I see wrong is this. It's only built for one coach! We might need a place to hang out from time to time! Roll Eyes I'm a bit envious, can't ya tell! Wink

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2011, 07:47:15 AM »

That is the reasoning behind the design Paul  lol

Life is short drink the good wine first
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2011, 08:04:31 AM »

I have a 16' x 24' door and wish it was 6 foot wider! Of course I'm also bringing stuff into the shop that resemble a 35' bus sideways!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2011, 09:01:01 AM »

There was mention of re-sale earlier in the thread.

The large garage is actually a real estate agent's nightmare.
Slims down the potential purchasers by a lot.
And if you install a door shorter than a full height highway tractor...
You destroyed another big part of what's left of that slim market of potential purchasers.

Make your doors taller than 13' 6".

Also, you want two light switches at the door, one for the big lights, one for a single at each end just so you can see well enough to move around.

Mine came from the previous owner with these lovely monster streetlights hanging from the ceiling, with the white steel panels on the walls, it's like daylight in there, but they take longer to warm up than the time to walk to the other end and back to find what I want.

Two single fluorescent fixtures, mounted up high, one at each end, will save the big lights for when I need them.

I have been a fan of pits in the past, but I'm wavering in favor of a set of used mobile lifts. Old ones get traded in to the suppliers all the time. With a pit, the code issues, the insurance issues, the practical ventilation and drainage requirements, the danger of stepping of the edge and falling into the #$#$^ thing, which happens periodically at work, I'll tell you, it can be a game ender for your mobility, the safety of children around the pit, the loss of clear floor space for other uses...

And, you can use the lifts for your smaller vehicles too!

The pit is simple, once installed, and the coach is parked right there ready to walk under at your leisure, but?

As I say, I'm wavering.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 11:58:02 AM »

BW,
No worries on falling in the pit if ya park the bus over it with a sheet of 3/4" plywood over the exposed ends.
And if yer not home and the garage gets broke into the culprit may still be laying in the bit with a broken neck when ya get home!
See win-win situation!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2011, 05:35:31 PM »

There was mention of re-sale earlier in the thread.

The large garage is actually a real estate agent's nightmare.
Slims down the potential purchasers by a lot.
And if you install a door shorter than a full height highway tractor...
You destroyed another big part of what's left of that slim market of potential purchasers.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

I've actually thought of that.  This could actually be like a property having a swimming pool.  It does limit the resale applicant pool, somewhat.  It sure won't be attractive to the Mrs. potential buyer, but the Tim Allen type would love it.

David
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: