Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 01:02:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: building a bus barn  (Read 7195 times)
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2011, 04:07:16 PM »

I could barely afford to build a garage let alone a structure that is a pseudo house.
[/quote]

How about something like this?  All you need is a set of bigger doors (possibly a little height on the second floor) and you would be in business.

This barn structure is located on Route 66 just outside of Yukon, Oklahoma picture was taken 3-7-2011

BCO
[/quote]

That is really nice looking building, but my big fear would be if you got a fire anywhere in there, you lose the bus and the house all in one.  I could stand losing the bus or the house but not all at once.  Yea if it's in a barn next to the house and a tornado comes by I may lose both.  I know you can't eliminate all risk, but I do try to minimize when possible.

David
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 04:09:31 PM by David Anderson » Logged
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »

I can't add on to my current house if I get a building permit.  (It would probably be hard to hide a bus garage.)  I wanted to do a three car garage when I built the house and the city planner said they would recommend the planning commission not approve my variance unless I cut back to two car garage.  I had to have a variance to build my house since my lot was platted in the 1880s and is narrower than current zoning code requires.

The city limits attached and detached garages to 750 sq ft total these days.  Even if I tried to work around it by saying I was adding on a really big family room or something I couldn't get the required variance anyhow.

I'm not the type of guy who gets a building permit for every little thing, but for major work I do.  It will be easier to sell down the road if everything was permitted and inspected.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »

[/quote]

That is really nice looking building, but my big fear would be if you got a fire anywhere in there, you lose the bus and the house all in one. I know you can't eliminate all risk, but I do try to minimize when possible.

David
[/quote]

Just an alternative or idea, I was working off your description of your lot limitations and all that.  We cannot control the weather, nor circumstances in life, do not allow what you fear to control yours would be my advice.  This is why we (most of us) are heavily invested in insurance. 

Look at the possibilities and not the liabilities. 

We had at one time considered building a pole barn, letting the tax man inspect as a pole barn, and then after he left, do the interior into a home.  But you get into all kinds of crap when you do that, and then if they catch you ... well, you get the picture dontcha?

BCO

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2011, 07:51:27 PM »

To be clear, I did talk to the city about an additional large garage several years back.  They said it would not be allowed since I already have a 600 sq ft attached garage.

I haven't asked about building a garage on my second lot, but city code is pretty clear about a house being required first.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: